Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Nearly right, Clive. Except that only the most senior managers got a gold pass, mine is merely silver. The difference is minimal in effect, but there are a handful of very busy trains I may not join - and in theory the gold pass entitles the bearer (and his lady) to a free sleeper berth (each!)

And as usual, my IEP was just the job. Comfy enough, regular offers of tea etc, waiting time here and there. 

Back to PN, now chaps. 

Ah, of course. First Class eh? So the seats are adjustable and a bit more cheek friendly supposedly. Have a good time buddy.

P

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Both of our men have stayed at the vantage points which they reached, so one of them can turn round to get a shot of the Hull fish.

1360643030_8fish1.JPG.c901c073dcc25bde73d2d14b2964b587.JPG

Some bloke on FB was going on about the great days of Grimsby fishing in the 'good old days' and how there was a continuous movement of trains into for loading and out of Grimsby loaded for the fish markets all over. Presumably those trains went all over the country spreading their smell, but was there only the one/two is it that you run on the ECML; I can't remember but I am sure you have told me about that in the past?

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The traffic was already dwindling a bit by 1958, so I have two up Grimsby and one Up Hull in my WTT. The Aberdeen ran in the middle of the night, so we don't see that. There were still plenty of other workings to places other than London though, quite a lot via the GC, and of course the odd van or two tacked on the back of local passenger services.

I wonder why I have a train of blue spot vans, which never run.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2019 at 23:00, great northern said:

The traffic was already dwindling a bit by 1958, so I have two up Grimsby and one Up Hull in my WTT. The Aberdeen ran in the middle of the night, so we don't see that. There were still plenty of other workings to places other than London though, quite a lot via the GC, and of course the odd van or two tacked on the back of local passenger services.

I wonder why I have a train of blue spot vans, which never run.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Wasn’t the return empties of the Aberdeen in the middle of the day? That should give an excuse to use the blue spots.

Edited by thegreenhowards
Correcting iPad typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

He's chancing his arm a bit if he scrambled up the gantry controlling the goods lines, given its current precarious state. Fortunately, help is at hand because ...

DSC09197.JPG.3262c121c502afc4f7b2f37b4115d5f2.JPG    DSC09198.JPG.5cc2b14b95cc4f5c3e426e821a663e12.JPG

... it's finished! At last ... well, you can't rush art.

Sorry it's taken so long - all we need to do now is to fix up an engineering possession for it to be installed.

Graham

That's really lovely Graham. Just let me know what suits you, and I'll try to fit in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

That's what I thought Andy, but I can't see it on the WTT.

I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of it but I can’t locate it now and I can’t remember which year, so not much use - sorry! They must have gone back north, otherwise there’d have been a big pile of blue spots in King’s Cross!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I've done a bit more research on the Aberdeen return fish. This is a useful post from Brian Macdermott which claims a 1205 departure from King's Cross for the return. From other posts which prompted this it does seem to be missing from the WTT.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I've done a bit more research on the Aberdeen return fish. This is a useful post from Brian Macdermott which claims a 1205 departure from King's Cross for the return. From other posts which prompted this it does seem to be missing from the WTT.

Andy

I think I remember Peter Coster mentioning it in one of the Books of the GN, and I think he said 1130 off KX, so that seems about right. Through PN some time between 1.30pm and 2.30pm looks good.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

A quick question. Would a feature in a magazine concentrating on the kind of images I've been showing for the last few days be of interest? We are all used to the "normal" articles, very much train focused as they are. So, might something like this be worthwhile?

I'm interested in all aspects Gilbert but a magazine article focussing on the why's and wherefores of PNs buildings and some of the hidden corners would be very welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert and everyone

Trains Illustrated May and June 1958 contain a 2-part article entitled Day-Trip to Grimsby which might be useful.

The subjects of Fish Trains and Milk Trains are crying out for books to be written.

Brian

Hello Brian

I do have those two TIs. which are interesting, but I'm afraid don't help with this, as the blue spot vans were only used on the Scottish traffic, from what I have read.  I also found an article in an old Steam World magazine, but that didn't mention blue spot traffic at all, and frankly seemed a bit dodgy in parts anyway.

As Andy says, they must have been returned whence they came, and fairly regularly. Perhaps they were run as required, but even so I'd expect to find it in the WTT.