Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

I can see now why you were an excellent prosecutor/defender in your professional career. 

Does pushing trains by hand result in pairs of artics riding at different angles to each other?

Regards,

Tony. 

I think it may Tony, but rubbing corridor connections might also be responsible. There are build quality issues with those sets, as you know, which I think you have kindly tried to sort out for me in the past.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yellow rain? Is that anything like yellow snow?

You lot seem to need some rain, yellow, blue, green whatever colour. You anywhere near that nasty situation?

A. Prince.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

You lot seem to need some rain, yellow, blue, green whatever colour. You anywhere near that nasty situation?

A. Prince.

I've been to Exeter today, there was snow just down the road on Dartmoor!

All there was in Exeter was traffic jams as usual.

Martyn

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

A. Prince.

Thanks Phil. So far so good. The nearest fire on Tuesday was about 10 km away. Conditions have eased since then but you never know what will happen next. We just have to hope for the best but prepare for the worst - a bit like life in general really!

• Friendly/supportive 7

Having to  return a Guide Dog to Bingham yesterday evening I had the misfortune to venture near to your Golf club. The rain was amongst the worst  I ever recall seeing in 72 years and so it was no surprise that the A52 was flooded. By pure luck I turned off by the RSPCA and ventured slowly into town,turned left at the Co-op and eventually passed a new housing estate before arriving at the A46 junction to Lowdham.

Was I lucky, or was I lucky as having a 4X4 I manage to get through some pretty large PUDDLES safely. I would imaging this route would have been closed later, so Very lucky. Golf this week-end Gilbert :wub:

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Having to  return a Guide Dog to Bingham yesterday evening I had the misfortune to venture near to your Golf club. The rain was amongst the worst  I ever recall seeing in 72 years and so it was no surprise that the A52 was flooded. By pure luck I turned off by the RSPCA and ventured slowly into town,turned left at the Co-op and eventually passed a new housing estate before arriving at the A46 junction to Lowdham.

Was I lucky, or was I lucky as having a 4X4 I manage to get through some pretty large PUDDLES safely. I would imaging this route would have been closed later, so Very lucky. Golf this week-end Gilbert :wub:

Regards,Derek.

A 52 closed today Derek, and I don't remember that happening before. The flooding seems to be just about where the Council has recently taken some land out of green belt and made it available for housing. Golf course is closed, and has been for days. It won't even be inspected till Monday, and I doubt it will be playable then.

That new housing estate you passed is where I used to live, in a lovely house surrounded on three sides by farmland. That was green belt too, but not anymore. I was horrified when I saw how close the new houses were being built - the place is ruined, and I feel so sorry for those who bought it about ten years ago. The value must have dropped like a stone.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to go OT my friends. I was told today that the water table, over most of this region, is 'full' if that isn't too simple a term. Thus, further rainfall is causing almost immediate 'overflow', that is flooding! Difficult times unless we get a dry period and also the trees etc. are of course taking up less water (if any) at this time of year and there are very high tides at the moment along with low pressure of course. Thank goodness for trains in the upper story areas of our dwellings.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sorry to go OT my friends. I was told today that the water table, over most of this region, is 'full' if that isn't too simple a term. Thus, further rainfall is causing almost immediate 'overflow', that is flooding! Difficult times unless we get a dry period and also the trees etc. are of course taking up less water (if any) at this time of year and there are very high tides at the moment along with low pressure of course. Thank goodness for trains in the upper story areas of our dwellings.

P

Indeed Phil, that's where we are at the golf club. Heavy clay, water table right to the top, temperatures too low to dry it out, so unless it doesn't rain for weeks, we shall get topped up again every time it does.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

I don't have an upper story, and I am only 2.5m above sea level. :fie:

• Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I don't have an upper story, and I am only 2.5m above sea level. :fie:

I take no chances, if the canal goes all that stands between me and a flood is a sewage works. :bad:

My trains are on the second floor of our house.

Edited by woodenhead
Edit: I cant count the floors in my house
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

However at least 60065 with her single chimney has the correct 94a Boiler until February 1960 anyway.

Love the photograph of Brancepeth Castle,Gilbert. They were so much more graceful than those that Swindon produced. Ducks for cover.:unsure:

Tim and I make absolutely sure we get details correct these days Derek, preferably from a reliably dated photo. There may however still be one or two aberrations on the layout which go back to the days when I was not so careful.

As to your second comment, we must be careful not to stir up longstanding tribal loyalties, even though you are quite correct.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1