Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

There's a nice four page colour photo feature of Peterborough, mostly from the late 50s & early 60s but including GNR No1 in 1938 in the Dec 2019 Backtrack.  PN, the model, certainly captures the atmosphere of these photographs.

Thank you for that info. I'll make sure I get a copy now.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Although quite an elegant thing is the castle, it is still rather a weak machine and needs hauling around by the most elegant of Pacifics to grace the rails.....

image.png.32d9cde3d23c8c4c94dbbbc0f6aaf2af.png

Bye......

That's because it isn't the superior type of Castle. That wouldn't be necessary if it was Brancepeth or Kimbolton. Or Naworth, for that matter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I’m confused because I thought Knight of the Thistle was actually a Star chaps....

Rob, don't take any notice of that d##k that has posted rude pictures of engines from the dark side. He is/was only trying to cause a fight.

D. Cummings.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Although quite an elegant thing is the castle, it is still rather a weak machine and needs hauling around by the most elegant of Pacifics to grace the rails.....

Bye......

Which in turn need dragging around by another locomotive.

20190908_160445.jpg.c5efd9060f072528bc33eaeec35bd14b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bye......

Dear me. Look at the different shades of green on those locos. Most unprototypical. Anyone'd think Hornby had painted them...

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, great northern said:

No controversial postings from me. An A3 speaks for itself. Yet another Grantham engine, Enterprise has the 6.35 Hull.

982915157_11111.JPG.adce36df3e8d8ecc53d7cf2af01a7e22.JPG

We also have a plonk featuring catering cars.

1178525278_11catering.JPG.c454fb9453cf13479a37e2b86144a257.JPG

One day, Gilbert, in the not-too-distant future, I'll pop over, and we'll comb PM and find all those missing front footsteps, vacuum standpipes and front couplings and I'll stick them all back in place. 

Regards,

Tony. 

14 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bye......

There are, of course, those who might suggest that the sure footed one at the back is giving the front one a push before it slips itself to a standstill. ;)

For my part, I simply say that it’s a wonderful picture of the epitome of elegance , reminding us how motive power looked in the days before the world went mad .:)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bye......

I would suggest that, in line with Western practice, the Bulleid thing is the train engine and that the Castle coupled inside is the 'pilot' because the inferior engine cannot manage it's train even on the flat section at Dawlish Warren.... 

Running for cover...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Given the long memory of what Mr. Bulleid must have felt like when he saw the cables outperform his beloved A3s in the engine exchanges, I suspect he'd see this sa metic justice. But then I also heard that the difference turned out to be down to a combination of Welsh Coal and Swindon's ability to align loco chassis rather well.

When you look at how precise manufacturing has changed the way cars are made and how much longer they run with minimal faults it does make you wonder what could be achieved today with CAD, robotic manufacturing and the kind of precision tolerances HNG and others could only dream of?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Given the long memory of what Mr. Bulleid must have felt like when he saw the cables outperform his beloved A3s in the engine exchanges, I suspect he'd see this sa metic justice. But then I also heard that the difference turned out to be down to a combination of Welsh Coal and Swindon's ability to align loco chassis rather well.

When you look at how precise manufacturing has changed the way cars are made and how much longer they run with minimal faults it does make you wonder what could be achieved today with CAD, robotic manufacturing and the kind of precision tolerances HNG and others could only dream of?

I've often thought about the good work done by artisans in the workshops using relatively basic measuring equipment, tools and machines in badly lit workshops. Not all of those people would have had good eyesight and this before the days of National Health eyecare. 

They'd be A1s when they were tried against the Castles and the later excellence of the A3s illustrates the potential which existed in the design and how well the lessons were learned. 

I've read - from a Doncaster alumnus but I forget which - that the story of the effect of optical alignment is also exaggerated, as they took one of the locos so reconstructed out into the yard, parked it on a curve and found with a piece of string that the frames had deflected a couple of inches end to end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I would suggest that, in line with Western practice, the Bulleid thing is the train engine and that the Castle coupled inside is the 'pilot' because the inferior engine cannot manage it's train even on the flat section at Dawlish Warren.... 

Running for cover...

Not up the banks it were not buddy, between Plymuff and Newton Hallibut, so you can come out now.

Let's leave that silly nonsense there shall we as I only wanted to make Gilbert think about something other than rain.

A3s are/were magnificent and absolutely perfect for the work they did, as were the Castles and even the SR Pacifics, which were, as you may remember, along with a coupe of Brits, the last Pacifics on long distance fast passenger work (and even then I'd not class the Brits in the north as racing machines as the Mod Spams were on the Bournemouth/Weymouth, however I accept they were really only about 6 to 8 years 'old'). 

Ar$£

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

History shows that we all learn from someone else. It's a fool who doesn't incorporate something from someone else's design which improves his/her own, whatever tribal loyalties there may be.

There's an awful lot now that we can do that those who came before us couldn't, but I just wonder whether the construction of wonders of the ancient world with the very basic resources and tools available at the time should rank as highly as what we do now, which is still mostly based on principles that they worked out!

• Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not up the banks it were not buddy, between Plymuff and Newton Hallibut, so you can come out now.

Let's leave that silly nonsense there shall we as I only wanted to make Gilbert think about something other than rain.

A3s are/were magnificent and absolutely perfect for the work they did, as were the Castles and even the SR Pacifics, which were, as you may remember, along with a coupe of Brits, the last Pacifics on long distance fast passenger work (and even then I'd not class the Brits in the north as racing machines as the Mod Spams were on the Bournemouth/Weymouth, however I accept they were really only about 6 to 8 years 'old'). 

Ar$£

I think we were nearly saying the same thing at the same time there Phil. Anyway, it is sunny here today, my smart meter is not in demented mode, and I am running and photographing trains. This is lunch break, by the way.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Another look at Enterprise this bright fine morning.

779972910_21112.JPG.e6eb2667b295dba03f922e02c90f990c.JPG

after which we shall examine the rather eclectic mix of stock following on behind.

1957971582_3rake1.JPG.07e30042bb6716c0f768974bc0de7c57.JPG

Each time I see your BZ it strikes me as a rather lovely thing. I'm still amazed no RTR manufacturer has produced one.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Each time I see your BZ it strikes me as a rather lovely thing. I'm still amazed no RTR manufacturer has produced one.

Paul

I agree Paul. It does look very nice. That didn't stop dear Mike Radford from getting a phone call telling him that it didn't look anything like a BZ, and that his kit is cr*p. From an authority on coaching stock, of course.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

History shows that we all learn from someone else. It's a fool who doesn't incorporate something from someone else's design which improves his/her own, whatever tribal loyalties there may be.

There's an awful lot now that we can do that those who came before us couldn't, but I just wonder whether the construction of wonders of the ancient world with the very basic resources and tools available at the time should rank as highly as what we do now, which is still mostly based on principles that they worked out!

Even more so in Railway terms when you consider that George Stephenson had to teach himself to read and write and yet with the Rocket he laid down basic principles that could be seen right to the end of steam. Brunel with no one to show him how to do it, built the London and Bristol Railway to civil engineering standards that have barely been surpassed more than 170 years later. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Even more so in Railway terms when you consider that George Stephenson had to teach himself to read and write and yet with the Rocket he laid down basic principles that could be seen right to the end of steam. Brunel with no one to show him how to do it, built the London and Bristol Railway to civil engineering standards that have barely been surpassed more than 170 years later. 

Not to belittle George, but Rocket was the work of his son, Robert. George played no part in the design. He was a bit busy, building the L&M.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1