Peterborough North

great northern

On 21/11/2019 at 22:22, great northern said:

Unpleasant things going on at the golf club at present, so I'm not a very happy bunny. There are some nasty people on this planet. Never mind, I will concentrate on more pleasant happenings, such as those on a fine evening in the summer of 58. Here's the Immingham B1 again.

2105044683_210982.JPG.43254b86bbf76b5d7ffbd6cdf6355b2c.JPG

while the D16 won't be leaving for a few minutes yet.

317066421_32530.JPG.62d96ea65764d65a17841d540bcd1999.JPG

On a second look, something I never noticed the first time , although it was staring me in the face , was the burnished smokebox door brackets of the B1 , with a few soot smuts on them apparently . So typical of certain sheds of the period as they tried to brighten things up as the country dragged itself out of rationing and austerity. This is a tiny detail that really gives layout authenticity but very rarely seen in model form

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

On a second look, something I never noticed the first time , although it was staring me in the face , was the burnished smokebox door brackets of the B1 , with a few soot smuts on them apparently . So typical of certain sheds of the period as they tried to brighten things up as the country dragged itself out of rationing and austerity. This is a tiny detail that really gives layout authenticity but very rarely seen in model form

This is what Immingham did with a few of their B1s, mainly those which where rostered to the Kings Cross trains. They looked a bit peculiar when the loco was very run down though. Tim and I now do everything from photos, and his eye for small detail is very good indeed, so I have the good fortune to run locos like this. Actually, a run down one has just backed on to the stock for the last Grimsby local during today's operatiing session, so that one may well feature in a few days time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Here's another shot of the fish. I've fiddled with this for ages, but I can't get it to look right, so comments welcome as to why it doesn't work, and the same applies to having a fiddle with it yourselves.

126272659_4fishunder2.JPG.ee26fa1bb95c9604ceeff9da0173bba2.JPG

It almost looks moonlit to me.

Then it is time for another WD.

1618766671_5WD.JPG.8de875523d6e501f3ea0b088a4b5909e.JPG

The background is too bright on this one, but if I tone that down I lose all detail. Perhaps I should accept that sometimes there just isn't enough light?

Gilbert

I am far from being as expert as some of those who regularly contribute here for our enjoyment, but I wonder if the fish looks fishy with being a head on view on a tight curve. The front wheels of the bogie are obviously too far to the left leaving that bare space under the right buffer. Apart from that, there is something atmospheric about it.

Keep up the enjoyment yourself, and please continue to share it with us.

Lloyd

Very nice, the only thing that really gives it away is the wheel thicknesses, I've often wondered if narrow wheels are possible? Do you intend adding a backscene at some point, if so what type?

Edited by phil.c

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil.c said:

Very nice, the only thing that really gives it away is the wheel thicknesses, I've often wondered if narrow wheels are possible? Do you intend adding a backscene at some point, if so what type?

Backscenes have been mooted many times, but despite some experiments I've never found satisfactory solutions, with the exception of the low relief buildings behind the District Engineers area. I'm still messing about with the view through Crescent Bridge, and I'm reasonably confident something may come of that. I'd also like to do something where Spital Bridge shed used to be, but there are difficulties with perspective from different angles, and in getting suitable photos to work from.

That leaves one area on the other side, to the rear of Station Road. Photos of that area are almost unknown, and there is the added complication that I don't want to compromise the view from the central viewing area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gilbert

This came to mind as you mentioned trying to photograph at this time of year:-

NOVEMBER

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds! -
November!

Thomas Hood

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Gilbert

NOVEMBER

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
November!

Thomas Hood

Also, from Flanders and Swann:

Dark November brings the fog,

Should not do it to a dog.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, phil.c said:

Have you tried Photoshopping the backscene with anything, just to see what works?

Have you posted a trackplan?

My photoshopping abilities are very limited. I can just about manage to add a sky background, and that's it, so  I'm afraid I haven't done anything like that. It would have to be what was really there in 1958, and hardly any of that is still there now, so I'm not sure how it could be done at all frankly.

I think there is a very rudimentary track plan about 886 pages back in the thread, but I've never posted a full plan on here, though it has appeared in various magazines.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Anthony said:

Gilbert

NOVEMBER

No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon -
November!

Thomas Hood

What about no golf? No black Friday would be good though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Come to South Australia, November is beautiful, the cold of winter is gone and the Heat of summer hasn't built up yet, long days, short nights, perfect.

manna

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Hmm - no cricket would be my concern, but perhaps rhyming would be the greatest challenge!

Adelaide Test starts on Friday!

However, Sydney hasn't altogether been the place to be for the past couple of weeks, what with the bush fire danger then yesterday a storm cell that in 8 minutes caused 1500 power interruptions affecting over 70,000 customers. Our power is still off, although fortunately we don't seem to have suffered any structural damage.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/plan-to-be-without-power-ausgrid-warns-sydneysiders-after-storm-wreaks-havoc-20191127-p53ege.html

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 hours ago, great northern said:

My photoshopping abilities are very limited. I can just about manage to add a sky background, and that's it, so  I'm afraid I haven't done anything like that. It would have to be what was really there in 1958, and hardly any of that is still there now, so I'm not sure how it could be done at all frankly.

I think there is a very rudimentary track plan about 886 pages back in the thread, but I've never posted a full plan on here, though it has appeared in various magazines.

You are right, there's not many pictures of the area in 1958, I found one of the station area but very low res, I've added it below.

I couldn't find the trackplan, roughly what is the overall size?

1302136228_test2.jpg.561ee9843017fde807074fb1a6c7392a.jpg

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, phil.c said:

You are right, there's not many pictures of the area in 1958, I found one of the station area but very low res, I've added it below.

I couldn't find the trackplan, roughly what is the overall size?

1302136228_test2.jpg.561ee9843017fde807074fb1a6c7392a.jpg

The layout is 25ft by 10, and basically it is station on one side and fiddle yard on the other. Inevitably it is much compressed, loads of sidings are missing, and there are sharp curves at each end where none should be. However, the basic running lines are all in the right places, so I can run the right trains more or less in the correct manner, and that is what I wanted to be able to do.

You've made a very nice job of that image, but unfortunately that background belongs on the East side of the station, not the North. Behind Spital Bridge very few buildings were in view, as the main running lines ran dead straight, while to the right was the entrance to the huge New England yards. Getting the right backgrounds in the correct places is proving to be very difficult indeed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A solitary image again this morning, and as yet another horrible wet day has nearly dawned, getting any more done may prove to be difficult. Nevertheless, a bit of significant progress will take place later.

1718933195_420701.JPG.a7b642798348bf9c3c44b19bb4162b10.JPG

A quite long parcels train has travelled a very short distance- just a mile from East. This K1 seems to be the regular performer on the duty. That background needs to be manipulated, but I haven't a clue how to do it.

• Like 17

Sorry about the East and North confussion but I'm not familiar with that area.

The problem with the background picture is it's taken at a higher angle, hence the tracks seem to be running up hill, the best your going to get with it would be to drop the whole picture so that the running stock is down close to your baseboard but even then it's not going to be quite right.

If your going to add a backscen at some time you are probable going to use a gereric one that's typical of the area in 1958.

Edited by phil.c