Peterborough North

great northern

18 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Sorry about the East and North confussion but I'm not familiar with that area.

The problem with the background picture is it's taken at a higher angle, hence the tracks seem to be running up hill, the best your going to get with it would be to drop the whole picture so that the running stock is down close to your baseboard but even then it's not going to be quite right.

If your going to add a backscen at some time you are probable going to use a gereric one that's typical of the area in 1958.

Gilbert

I have not had a proper look at that area for over 50 years now, but, whereas your model is immediately recognizable, that backscene brings back no recollections at all. Unless there is clear evidence to the contrary, I would doubt that it is Peterborough at all.

Lloyd

Slightly off topic, but I have been trying to identify where the first photo in the Backtrack feature this month was taken. It appears to show GNR No1 in 1938 when the new coaching stock on the Flying Scotsman was introduced. It claims to be on arrival at Peterborough, and shows No1 front to the right, next to what appears to be a platform on the far side, with behind that a brick building with at least 6 gable ends immediately at the back of the platform. Has anyone any idea where this was taken?

Lloyd

28 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it's taken in the platform nearest the windows, platform 6.  The gable ends, if I recall correctly, were on a roof which fell down/was demolished either during or not long after the war.

Thanks. That sounds likely, though surely it is facing KC, so 'on arrival' would be a bit inaccurate. I do not remember a roof on that bit, as I was not born until after the war.

Lloyd

13 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Thanks. That sounds likely, though surely it is facing KC, so 'on arrival' would be a bit inaccurate. I do not remember a roof on that bit, as I was not born until after the war.

Lloyd

Neither was Mr Wealleans.  Was that the  2nd Boer War though?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it's taken in the platform nearest the windows, platform 6.  The gable ends, if I recall correctly, were on a roof which fell down/was demolished either during or not long after the war.

Spot on Jonathan, except that the collapse occured in the mid 50s. I have a photo of a 9F passing when it is still fully intact.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Visitor from the north checking in.

No goods trains running during the daytime today as the engineers took a possession at the south end of the station to attend to the ailing down bracket signal.

WP_20191127_12_03_31_Pro.jpg.788b900398874aaeda2180df218b3f5f.jpg     WP_20191127_12_04_11_Pro.jpg.f2bfd723f962abf9d5228b5d5b9ea972.jpg

That's better. Crew knocked off for a hearty lunch pending connecting up of the actuating rods

WP_20191127_13_10_42_Pro.jpg.08e4b99faec5cd6f9ea99a00c21dd092.jpg

Lines now given back. Hopefully there'll be a train or two along shortly.

WP_20191127_15_21_18_Pro1.jpg.256ecdb6e0a6823d2439ba9749c409c2.jpg

'Tis the North end actually, but still a lovely job, for which I am very grateful, as looking at the old one had got my teeth grating. I was much impressed by your determination to get it dead right, the considerable manual dexterity, the lack of complaint while squashed into unnatural contortions, and the total absence of inappropriate language, even when things were not co-operating.

Of course it does now show up all the others, so I look forward to that being remedied in due course. Once again, many thanks Graham.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Adelaide Test starts on Friday!

I'll be there for Day 1! Although forecast doesn't look great for the remaining days - so might actually have a 5 day Test? By that I mean we might get a few shower interruptions, like a normal English summer day.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I'll be there for Day 1! Although forecast doesn't look great for the remaining days - so might actually have a 5 day Test? By that I mean we might get a few shower interruptions, like a normal English summer day.

Andrew

Mate, with England being so 'confident' with the bat you may just get three days. 'We' appear to have one bowler and some junior batsmen at the moment.

Hey ho, good job it is so fine and sunny here:heat:

G, that signal is just XLNT. That Red Leader fellow knows his stuff.

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Mate, with England being so 'confident' with the bat you may just get three days. 'We' appear to have one bowler and some junior batsmen at the moment.

P

Different Test Match I think Phil. Good to see you back on form again though.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2019 at 14:01, St Enodoc said:

Our power is still off, although fortunately we don't seem to have suffered any structural damage.

In case anyone is wondering, we got our power back on Wednesday evening. Some suburbs, however, are not likely to be reconnected before Sunday.

• Friendly/supportive 10

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

I might have misunderstood your comment but the Aussies are playing Pakistan in Adelaide tomorrow, which is the game I'll be at.  England is playing in NZ tomorrow.

I do agree with your comments on England's ability though!

Andrew

• Like 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

A strange occurence. I went to send an e mail saying I couldn't be bovvered with splashing round the golf course today, and instead sent one saying "see you at 1100".:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

No new pictures, so I have trawled the archives for some that seemed popular in the past. This one is from over eighteen months ago, so hopefully it may be worth another look.

728316480_700roof1.JPG.d09f17ff3a50a4c4c04b10689ac0b30d.JPG

Thats about as close to perfect as any photograph of a model Railway I can remember. Even the headlamps are almost level ! Great stuff.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was, I admit, over optomistic! Must check my specs again.

Perhaps somone could enlighten us provincials on the subject, is Peterborough North ever on display to the average railway modeller?

I have admired it for some time and it would be great to look at in the "flesh" as it were.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I was, I admit, over optomistic! Must check my specs again.

Perhaps somone could enlighten us provincials on the subject, is Peterborough North ever on display to the average railway modeller?

I have admired it for some time and it would be great to look at in the "flesh" as it were.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Only either in magazines or on here, I'm afraid. It isn't capable of being moved for exhibition, and space and security considerations mean that access has to be rather strictly limited.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3