Peterborough North

great northern

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

It's nearly ten years ago, but yes, I believe it is.

I think SMP as still trading but under another name, all my track is SMP phosphor bronze flexi plus scratch built points, nearly thirty years old now :huh:

On 03/12/2019 at 08:37, great northern said:

Today I shall be shopping, followed by paddling and a bit of shivering. At PN though, it is still a balmy evening, as Cambridge's B2 Framlingham enters with the Colchester- Glasgow.

771131250_716031.JPG.76fb171effb4195a29f633cd3d12550e.JPG

It is a long train this evening, though most of it is still parcels traffic, so the B2 ends up standing well clear of the platform.

628165609_816032.JPG.d99048fab72df8f4afc8ac024a8f0f80.JPG

How would the driver have known where to come to a halt?

Did the guard help?

Edited by JeffP
Stupid auto correct

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Did the guard help?

I would assume so Jeff, though if the driver was a regular visitor to PN he would have a good idea himself probably. No doubt our ex railwaymen will be able to give us a definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Did the guard help?

In them thar days there was a concept foreign to 2019 - platform staff, and plenty of them. They'd have given handsignals to the driver. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil.c said:

I think SMP as still trading but under another name, all my track is SMP phosphor bronze flexi plus scratch built points, nearly thirty years old now :huh:

SMP is still available. The brand is now owned by Marcway (usual disclaimer).

http://www.marcway.net/smp.php

On 03/12/2019 at 08:37, great northern said:

Today I shall be shopping, followed by paddling and a bit of shivering. At PN though, it is still a balmy evening, as Cambridge's B2 Framlingham enters with the Colchester- Glasgow.

771131250_716031.JPG.76fb171effb4195a29f633cd3d12550e.JPG

It is a long train this evening, though most of it is still parcels traffic, so the B2 ends up standing well clear of the platform.

628165609_816032.JPG.d99048fab72df8f4afc8ac024a8f0f80.JPG

A balmy evening indeed .  The Colchester - Glasgow would have been passing through at around 9.30, I think and it’s still almost broad daylight . It must be mid to late June when the pictures were taken, so well done to your photographer for staying out late to provide us all with such superb shots, and he didn’t even have a digital camera.

Looking at the other photo of Sea Eagle with the first of the sleeping car expresses its interesting to note the amount of overnight Anglo Scottish traffic there was in the late 1950’s . There we’re seven overnight sleepers on weekdays, plus one sleep- your- seat  and only eight daytime through trains. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

A balmy evening indeed .  The Colchester - Glasgow would have been passing through at around 9.30, I think and it’s still almost broad daylight . It must be mid to late June when the pictures were taken, so well done to your photographer for staying out late to provide us all with such superb shots, and he didn’t even have a digital camera.

Looking at the other photo of Sea Eagle with the first of the sleeping car expresses its interesting to note the amount of overnight Anglo Scottish traffic there was in the late 1950’s . There we’re seven overnight sleepers on weekdays, plus one sleep- your- seat  and only eight daytime through trains. 

But there are some of us who can remember double daylight saving time. According to records that was last tried from 1968 to 1971, bu I reckon that is a typo and that it actually started in 1958. That being the case, there was still plenty of light on a fine evening, even in August.:jester:

• Funny 4

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In them thar days there was a concept foreign to 2019 - platform staff, and plenty of them. They'd have given handsignals to the driver. 

Things don't change much except it's the passengers giving the signs these days.:mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

1958 or now, I still see people waving at 'special' trains. The child in me loves this and I will wave at some superb steam loco's crew and the passengers as they pass in a rush of steam, smoke and sometimes, lights. 

Sadly I sometimes wave at aircraft passing over 36E and they maybe 30+ thousand feet above me! Don't ask...….:crazy_mini:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

The only way I can tell that the top three are of the model, is the porter with the barrow. I assume that the bottom one is genuine, but the others look so realistic.

Lloyd

That's because someone is better at photoshopping than I am.  The added steam/smoke is some of the most realistic I have seen.  The bottom one is indeed genuine.

On 02/12/2019 at 22:03, great northern said:

Sea Eagle is at the head of the first sleeping car express of the evening, so our man recorded the formation, though I think he may have done it before.

1465642769_141393.JPG.9769ab61c293999438be68381cab3938.JPG

1045766923_1rake1.JPG.d8c77e178598895ef1d498c586eac2a4.JPG496844780_2rake2.JPG.e72d5d04f7f6b29a8a2bc13c149ab4e5.JPG2083113804_3rake3.JPG.318d1e91f04eef48738a94d16b9d327e.JPG1574175385_4rake4.JPG.76aad9c60b63fbb317406e9e5af3c441.JPG865055787_5rake5.JPG.af3c2da76bfd49ec93dd68f24533c125.JPG2033763138_6rake6.JPG.2e1f605899627395c963c5693955ed4a.JPG

Still no time for philosophising.

More interesting than mk1s

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

But there are some of us who can remember double daylight saving time. According to records that was last tried from 1968 to 1971, bu I reckon that is a typo and that it actually started in 1958. That being the case, there was still plenty of light on a fine evening, even in August.:jester:

I think that it is a typo Gilbert. My recollection is that from 68 to 71 we had permanent summer time. I don't remember double summer time in my lifetime (born in the middle of the Suez crisis).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

I think that it is a typo Gilbert. My recollection is that from 68 to 71 we had permanent summer time. I don't remember double summer time in my lifetime (born in the middle of the Suez crisis).

I think double-summertime was a WW2 idea. Like John, I don't ever recall it in my lifetime - born 1948.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall that period too, going to school in the dark, and going home in daylight at this time of year. Indeed, I recall it was the concern about school children going to school in the dark, that led to the experiment being abandoned.

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I well remember that short period of double summer time, as I thought it was great. I was very disappointed when it ended because farmers in the North of Scotland were complaining half the day had gone before they could do any work. There was actually discussion about having different time zones. They can go back to that when they get independence.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

But at that point on the 20mph reverse curve, the loco wouldn't be powering, just coasting.

Stewart

Not necessarily. Having slowed for the restriction the driver would still need to drag the train off the curve and into the station.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, great northern said:

That's because someone is better at photoshopping than I am.  The added steam/smoke is some of the most realistic I have seen.  The bottom one is indeed genuine.

If you compare the couplings on the bottom images you will see a difference but that's nit picking :)

BTW...I also straightened the left light :)

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 1