Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The 02 moves slowly on as it gets darker still.

It's always good to se an O2 Gilbert. Even if such a sighting was rather rare on the prototype by 1958. I certainly run some on Gresley Jn., although I tend to choose one of my earlier period trains for it.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

It's always good to se an O2 Gilbert. Even if such a sighting was rather rare on the prototype by 1958. I certainly run some on Gresley Jn., although I tend to choose one of my earlier period trains for it.

Andy

I now have a number of reliably dated photos of 02s at PN Andy, most of them waiting on the Down slow to get across into the yards, and with long trains too, so I reckon there were more of them about than some accounts suggest. The same applies with K3s too. Over generalisations are dangerous.

• RMweb Premium

I now have a number of reliably dated photos of 02s at PN Andy, most of them waiting on the Down slow to get across into the yards, and with long trains too, so I reckon there were more of them about than some accounts suggest. The same applies with K3s too. Over generalisations are dangerous.

That’s good to hear. Plenty of excuses to run two of my favourite classes. Any chance of sharing any of the photos?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Just love following this layout - it's iconic

Just one minor query - your "local" headed by 60105 carries class 1 headlights - is that correct?

Well, there was I, humble pie ready for heating in the microwave, but when I checked the WTT, Class A it says, even though it stopped at nearly every station. There do seem to have been quite a lot of trains that ran Class A when the type of duty didn't seem to merit it. Can the railway experts explain?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/12/2019 at 17:53, phil.c said:

What track are you using, scratched pointwork or commercial?

On 03/12/2019 at 20:22, great northern said:

Norman Saunders of Just Tracks built the pointwork on the station side. If I remember correctly it is C&L based, but a lot of it was scratchbuilt. Fiddle yard side is Peco code 75.

On 04/12/2019 at 08:03, phil.c said:

That looks like SMP Finescale then?

On 04/12/2019 at 09:42, great northern said:

It's nearly ten years ago, but yes, I believe it is.

When Norman built some pointwork for me (following your recomendation Gilbert :good_mini:) he said he preferred to use Exactoscale components for the plain track as they suited the C&L he used for pointwork. I'm sure yours is Exactoscale.

11 hours ago, great northern said:

The Who album is living up to expectations. As usual, some tracks have instant appeal, while others take time to grow on me, but there's some real grassroots stuff in there.

Ahh, a Who fan...

For those statistically inclined, the last sequence took just 129 days to complete, so perhaps I'm getting a bit better at it. If that continues I should get through the whole thing four times in a year, which doesn't seem too bad.

...  not so much Rick Wakeman then?

:D

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Apart from chairs etc on the Exactoscale site I can't see any rail lengths, so what does Norman use for flexi lengths and pointwork?

When Norman built some pointwork for me (following your recomendation Gilbert :good_mini:) he said he preferred to use Exactoscale components for the plain track as they suited the C&L he used for pointwork. I'm sure yours is Exactoscale.

On 07/12/2019 at 16:15, Donington Road said:

PN features, starts at 2:07

Double posting, my bad manners, but I got around to finishing this and at around the 19mSomething mark, there's a PW train with multiple brakevans, crane, match trucks and bogie wagons with layers and layers of track upon them, tailed by the lifting jig for the track itself.  What a fabulous thing to model!

Also, what is the station throat seen at the late 21m early 22m mark?

Edited by FoxUnpopuli

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

That’s good to hear. Plenty of excuses to run two of my favourite classes. Any chance of sharing any of the photos?

As usual they are scattered among goodness knows how many books, but here's one I have found.

img20191210_10415635.jpg.980421710d5a2ffd0653f193d85afcd1.jpg

Image is by the late Ben Brooksbank, and reproduced under common licence.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Apart from chairs etc on the Exactoscale site I can't see any rail lengths, so what does Norman use for flexi lengths and pointwork?

Exactoscale is now sold through the 3 societies, (EM,P4 & S7 ?) and ASFAIK nothing is available direct from them.  What Norman reccommended to be used was the fast track bases  and plain HiNi rail, this was made up into 500mm or 1M lengths. It's not 'flexitrack' as you have to cut the webs to bend it but I used it as it gave the most realistic look and fitted in with the C&L components that Norman used to make pointwork.

I did all this after ripping up Peco code 75......it was all Gilberts fault as I was so struck by how good PN looks...even with all the work that came with it I'm very grateful to him as he showed that realism could be achieved :good_mini:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Norman gave me a bit of stuff he had left over when he finished the job Dave. There were Exactoscale chairs and fishplates, but also some lengths of SMP plain track

Edited by great northern
spelling
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

To follow up a previous post. The totem for PN went to auction on the 7th with a guide price of £800-1200. It actually achieved £3400 + premium!!

That's a lot of golf balls.......or A4's....but preferably J6's :D

Right, that kills off any lingering thoughts about getting PN memorabilia!  You could get half the class of A4s for that.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Exactoscale is now sold through the 3 societies, (EM,P4 & S7 ?) and ASFAIK nothing is available direct from them.  What Norman reccommended to be used was the fast track bases  and plain HiNi rail, this was made up into 500mm or 1M lengths. It's not 'flexitrack' as you have to cut the webs to bend it but I used it as it gave the most realistic look and fitted in with the C&L components that Norman used to make pointwork.

I did all this after ripping up Peco code 75......it was all Gilberts fault as I was so struck by how good PN looks...even with all the work that came with it I'm very grateful to him as he showed that realism could be achieved :good_mini:

:secret: If you look at photos from the period Gilbert is modelling the mainlines are fat bottom rail. :secret:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

:secret: If you look at photos from the period Gilbert is modelling the mainlines are fat bottom rail. :secret:

Too much consumption of crisps, chocolates and beer, plus insufficient exercise.

We "Danes" are not completely devoid of linguistic skills......

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, gr.king said:

Too much consumption of crisps, chocolates and beer, plus insufficient exercise.

'Tis hard to exercise when you are firmly stuck down. I take the point about the beer though, it makes rolling stock wheels very sticky, so I won't give it any more of that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gr.king said:

Ah, the missing "L" was spotted. :blind:

Now the question is did I miss it out by accident or as bait? :scratchhead:

The reply was very good. :good:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1