Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I do that Phil, but there are times when I'm beaten. When you get two or even three lattices superimposed one on the other, and a uniform dark background behind them, the job becomes impossible. Well, it does for me, anyway. I've tried many times to crack this, but I won't spend hours on it, and even if I did eyesight and lack of manual dexterity would probably mean I didn't do much better.

I don't mean that Gilbert, after you have removed the background and added the sky, you still have small areas of the background showing above the signals and dots around the signal box, you can simply erase these with an erasing tool with the main layer (The layout) selected, it just takes a few seconds.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, phil.c said:

I don't mean that Gilbert, after you have removed the background and added the sky, you still have small areas of the background showing above the signals and dots around the signal box, you can simply erase these with an erasing tool with the main layer (The layout) selected, it just takes a few seconds.

Sorry Phil, I keep coming up with negatives, but here I go again. I photoshop the main image, then I add the sky. On older versions of Paint.net I was able to see imperfections and erase them with ease. Latest versions however won't allow that. I have to remove the sky again, try to remember where the problems are, and erase them that way. Then I put the sky back again, and often find another problem. Sometimes I get bored and just accept what's there, hoping people won't notice. Even when I think I've cleaned everything up, I still get problems, though probably of my own making.  I've now saved the image and come out of Paint.net. I then decide that the image needs darkening a bit, and lo, imperfections not previously seen appear. I can't then find a way to get back into Paint.net and deal with them again. Finally, I resize using Irfanview, and hit the sharpen option. For some reason that also sometimes shows up more imperfections, and again, I can't find a way to undo that, so I curse and leave it as is.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/12/2019 at 20:31, jukebox said:

Gilbert/Tim - can you gents just confirm that 60003 has only been renumbered, not repainted, and that the transformation above is solely down to the "Tim"™  treatment?

If that is the case...  it really is amazing.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I can confirm that not a single bit of green paint is used in the transformation of these previously lifeless-looking models.  When photographed in natural sunlight, they do take on a rather different look indeed.  The lighting available to Gilbert in the layout room isn't the best, as has been said many a time.  Annoyingly, I haven't got anything of a suitable size (I've tried uploading from my phone and the uploader refuses to play ball, because the images are too big!) to show what some of the last few locos have looked like in said natural light.  If it's worth any value in this thread, I'll put a couple of photos up at some point...

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim said:

Hi Scott,

I can confirm that not a single bit of green paint is used in the transformation of these previously lifeless-looking models.  When photographed in natural sunlight, they do take on a rather different look indeed.  The lighting available to Gilbert in the layout room isn't the best, as has been said many a time.  Annoyingly, I haven't got anything of a suitable size (I've tried uploading from my phone and the uploader refuses to play ball, because the images are too big!) to show what some of the last few locos have looked like in said natural light.  If it's worth any value in this thread, I'll put a couple of photos up at some point...

Cheers,

Tim

It certainly is Tim.  Your work deserves to be seen, literally, in the best possible light, and I'm not going to get that at this time of year.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

In desperation, I went up yesterday, and ran a couple of trains at random, under fluorescent light. I couldn't get what I regard as a satisfactory result with any setting of the camera, and despite juggling with everything I could think of when processing, this was the best I could get.

1240491858_21231.JPG.8302bdd8bc8a9b1cf52082db152f67e7.JPG

I do not like this at all.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I wasn't allowed to put this on the same post for some reason, but here's what the camera actually saw.

IMG_2125.JPG.0ca7af47f75f06a3543d1ae966a75006.JPG

Looks like a moonscape to me.

Hi Gilbert

Not being a photographer but a mere modeller I look at the train and its modelled surroundings. I don't worry about the room it is in as I know layouts have to be in railway room and are normally surrounded with other bits and bobs. So both your recent photos to me look good.

Actually could look better if the loco on the front was some thing like this.

007a.jpg.fd5832f58ab2416892851eaca7c6bc16.jpg

Hornby class 37 body on Lima chassis.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, great northern said:

Or even something like this Clive?  When choosing what to run at random, I though of you.

1467271973_4babyd.JPG.970c9fceff9dd064233d868f76564670.JPG

Do these things look any better in black and white?

2_123_2.JPG.16c42721012bfb42b039dc1dff59f56a.JPG

Nope. Still looks like moonlight to me. Still, a sunny day forecast for tomorrow.

Thank You Gilbert.

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Do these things look any better in black and white?

Nope. Still looks like moonlight to me. Still, a sunny day forecast for tomorrow.

Big improvement with change of motive power though!

Gilbert - does the lens of your camera need cleaning at all? Quite a few of your recent pictures seem to have a couple of blotches just right of centre. Whenever that happens to me, I tend to find that there's some marks on the lens. Careful how you go with the cleaning, mind.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Gilbert - does the lens of your camera need cleaning at all? Quite a few of your recent pictures seem to have a couple of blotches just right of centre. Whenever that happens to me, I tend to find that there's some marks on the lens. Careful how you go with the cleaning, mind.

Looks more like lens flare to me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hi Grahame

I thought I had spotted the blotches, then realised the same blotches were on post with just text. I have now cleaned my computer screen.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Grahame

I thought I had spotted the blotches, then realised the same blotches were on post with just text. I have now cleaned my computer screen.

I just cleaned my glasses.:o that worked for me.:good::yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2