Peterborough North

great northern

On 14/01/2020 at 10:24, great northern said:

But not all were Peter. Looking through a book last night I found a picture of Sir Nigel himself, stated to be 1958, on express duty but really rather shabby. That may have been a temporary thing of course, but it did happen.

My recollection from 62 years ago is that most KX A4s were at the very least green rather than black, but few were in the state which my 60034 shows.

Maybe the truth is we didn’t notice the dirt unless the loco was really appalling. I didn’t get to Waterloo until the last summer of steam and I was shocked how filthy some of the Bulleids were by that date especially the unrebuilt ones . I dont remember seeing any utterly filthy express passenger locos before that apart from Lord Hurcomb.  My recollection is that most were reasonable but not exceptional.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Maybe the truth is we didn’t notice the dirt unless the loco was really appalling. I didn’t get to Waterloo until the last summer of steam and I was shocked how filthy some of the Bulleids were by that date especially the unrebuilt ones . I dont remember seeing any utterly filthy express passenger locos before that apart from Lord Hurcomb.  My recollection is that most were reasonable but not exceptional.

In 1958 it was mainly just good honest dirt, plus the results of priming, which on a goods engine might remain for a long time. What I don't remember then was areas of rust, and dirt so thick that it looked like fur. That came as the decision was taken not to maintain most locos externally at all.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, great northern said:

So taken by the B12 was our photographer, that he decided it deserved a close up.

1569508142_21558close.JPG.4d056b4508d8cfbc449da58cc00153d6.JPG

This is right up there among Tim's finest weathering jobs, in my opinion.

Ther's time too for a J6 to run through on the main with another trip working.

32771621_34260.JPG.2a608f1575dbeb27caf13255c6ccbb51.JPG

That B12/3 is one of the finest RTR model locos I've seen, Gilbert.

Tim's weathering has brought it to life.

If anything, I think it's superior to the one I built for you (some years ago now!), even with Mr. Rathbone's painting. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That B12/3 is one of the finest RTR model locos I've seen, Gilbert.

Tim's weathering has brought it to life.

If anything, I think it's superior to the one I built for you (some years ago now!), even with Mr. Rathbone's painting. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony. I know that will mean a great deal to Tim. 17 years since you built 61576, which I still treasure.

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, great northern said:

A final look at 61558, as it moves into the shadow of the bridge.

1502804499_41558leaves.JPG.76721ac48dc0cb6223f86df57e641e3e.JPG

Shortly afterwards, Wild Swan runs through wit the Tees Tyne Pullman. The fireman swears the headboard was on straight when he fitted it, and I agree with him.1759736229_5211.JPG.58d7873c842f7b5c70d210acd0ceeacd.JPG

It must have moved when going over the bump crossing at Retford.

Couldn't have happened over the smooth crossing laid by the Midland at Newark.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, DougN said:

May be it moved when the front axle came off the road?

Oops. I did that to a friend, took a photo of one his locos, published it in our BRMA Journal The Clearing House and never noticed the front bogie wheels were off the track. He wasn't impressed!

Andrew

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Doug

Gilbert must of mentioned the headboard as to divert our attention from the rails coming away from the loco.

No Clive, because he didn't notice it. I have this habit of pushing locos to and fro by hand to get the composition of a photo just how I want it. Then I have a problem with picking up detail on the viewing screen. Finally, when it comes to shopping images like this at the moment, all my attention is on the background, where I'm still fixated about being able to do all the lattices neatly. Thus, I do not see what is right under my nose.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Yes it can, you have to select the bogies then move them to the right place, then copy/paste etc the missing sleepers etc into the blank areas, then do a little tidying up.

Edited by phil.c
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Here is Wild Swan again, a few yards further on. It looks to me that the wheels are now back on track, and I drove the train to here. I do not however remember putting them back on before doing so. Anyway, this is a very severe crop, as most of the background was beyond my shopping skills. I was going to bin this, but as a lot of you liked the one of Sun Castle which I though was cr*p, I'll leave it to you to decide.

473289115_6212.JPG.92f6e831c46bd5eaa4944c8670c990a7.JPG

Next on the Up is the 9.17 from Doncaster via the loop line.

2027380330_116351.JPG.bb175861d935c5f1bce12de2565a71e1.JPG

My last Main Committee meeting this evening, which will be a great relief. Four consecutive years of golf club politics was definitely one too many.

With the A4 shot the missing details against the sky is distracting. A very tight, to almost square crop, could look good. Lose a lot off the left side and everything above the top of the signal frame/platform.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

With the A4 shot the missing details against the sky is distracting. A very tight, to almost square crop, could look good. Lose a lot off the left side and everything above the top of the signal frame/platform.

Something like this?

1834797100_6212.JPG.b9da4f0be7692c4ba4a55a9612159e29.JPG

Brings in lots of specks in the sky though.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Something like this?

1834797100_6212.JPG.b9da4f0be7692c4ba4a55a9612159e29.JPG

Brings in lots of specks in the sky though.

Yes, possibly even a bit more off the top too. Smuts!

Edited by john new
  • Thanks 1