Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Now, what would really be cheating is if you added some trees etc in the area to the right under the bridge because at the moment it looks like an infinity pool :D

That area is awaiting possible development Phil. We know what should be there, but whether I actually want it there is another matter. I normally put stock on both Midland lines to hide that void more, but this time I forgot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, john new said:

Yes, possibly even a bit more off the top too. Smuts!

I object to that - No one should call our kind Gilbert smutts!

Gilbert

I hope that you are able to enjoy your golf more now that you are out of most of the politics.

My golf experience is mainly from pretending to play when I was in the sixth form. It meant that you did not have to get changed. The only problem was that we had the clubs and a ball, but no holes. Some of my class mates went out to Oundle to play on a proper golf course on a Wednesday afternoon. One of their hazards was cows grazing on the course. I remember one of them whose ball landed just in front of a cow - He was too frightened to play the next shot!

Thanks again Gilbert.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, FarrMan said:

I object to that - No one should call our kind Gilbert smutts!

Gilbert

I hope that you are able to enjoy your golf more now that you are out of most of the politics.

My golf experience is mainly from pretending to play when I was in the sixth form. It meant that you did not have to get changed. The only problem was that we had the clubs and a ball, but no holes. Some of my class mates went out to Oundle to play on a proper golf course on a Wednesday afternoon. One of their hazards was cows grazing on the course. I remember one of them whose ball landed just in front of a cow - He was too frightened to play the next shot!

Thanks again Gilbert.

Lloyd

Another week before I'm officially finished. It'll be interesting to see how much weight does come off my shoulders. There is one resolution at the AGM which I shall be watching closely. If that passes, I may decide I want no more to do with the place.

As to golf and cows, the more upsetting thing is if your ball lands in the animal's end product. No relief may be taken unless there is a local rule which allows it.

30 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another week before I'm officially finished. It'll be interesting to see how much weight does come off my shoulders. There is one resolution at the AGM which I shall be watching closely. If that passes, I may decide I want no more to do with the place.

As to golf and cows, the more upsetting thing is if your ball lands in the animal's end product. No relief may be taken unless there is a local rule which allows it.

Gilbert

I had wondered about that.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Now you are talking bull sh!t

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I believe the Retford GC is actually a very welcoming Club dear boy.

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I thought that was just what you get in the meetings?

A. Harris Hole

The moaning occurs outside the meetings, by people who would never dream of actually putting something into the Club themselves. We just have to waste our time discussing it. Still, 'twas ever thus.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

The moaning occurs outside the meetings, by people who would never dream of actually putting something into the Club themselves. We just have to waste our time discussing it. Still, 'twas ever thus.

That's how clubs work.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

If it were the end product of a bull, I would be long gone from there.

Gilbert

Did you know that you are safer with a bull than a cow. When a bull charges as it would if fighting another bull it closes its eyes just before contact. That is why those brave matadors can step out the bulls way. Also why it looks surprised as things haven't gone bump.

A cow defending its calf does NOT close its eyes so when charging follows where you run, and you better run fast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The Yorkshire Pullman and the Queen of Scots were timed to pass each other near Peterborough, so if one or the other was even slightly off schedule they would have done so within the staion precincts. That's what has happened today, and here are two photos to prove it.

And as we all know, the camera cannot lie.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2020 at 22:50, Clive Mortimore said:

Gilbert

Did you know that you are safer with a bull than a cow. When a bull charges as it would if fighting another bull it closes its eyes just before contact. That is why those brave matadors can step out the bulls way. Also why it looks surprised as things haven't gone bump.

A cow defending its calf does NOT close its eyes so when charging follows where you run, and you better run fast.

It is no good, this has been on my mind for getting on two days now. Presumably your experience took place when you were rather younger and more athletic Clive? How else would you know? Or did you resort to some Minoan leaping?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, great northern said:

It is no good, this has been on my mind for getting on two days now. Presumably your experience took place when you were rather younger and more athletic Clive? How else would you know? Or did you resort to some Minoan leaping?

Hi Gilbert 

I am not that brave. I was told the above by a stockman. He also advised me should I be walking the dogs in a field with cattle in it that I should get out the field to a place of safety and then call the dogs. If the dogs upset the cows the cows will go after the dogs, most dogs being extra brave will hide behind their pack leader (the owner, the human, me). To get to the dogs the cows will try and go through the human. 

A couple of days later  was out with the dogs and had not noticed the cows with their calves , and the bull, hiding behind the hedge. Gus the gundog had already found them and was face to face with the bull. Remembering what the stockman said I exited the field. I was not going to try his theory of being safer with a bull than a cow. Harvey my other Labrador wasn't as daft as Gus and like me he had a brave head but cowards legs.   Gus did come and rejoin us , he seemed to have enjoyed barking at a bull. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1