Peterborough North

great northern

Something about the rather nice lighting on those last two shots, Gilbert - perhaps it's the presence of shadows? - but for my eyes anyway, it makes the scene lift substantially compared to days with more subdued/diffused light.

Cheers

Scott

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jukebox said:

Something about the rather nice lighting on those last two shots, Gilbert - perhaps it's the presence of shadows? - but for my eyes anyway, it makes the scene lift substantially compared to days with more subdued/diffused light.

Cheers

Scott

I couldn't agree more Scott. On a sunny day I get far more to work with. The problem is that there aren't many of those this time of year. I'll always look for atmosphere, rather than record shots, or getting things technically correct, so the extra light is a big boost when I get it.

On 28/01/2020 at 15:27, great northern said:

Those of you who also frequent Wright Writes will be aware that I am gradually posting rather a lot of photos of LB which I took last week. Tony has kindly said I can put some on here as well, so here goes. This must have been taken around 1956, which is when New England briefly provided the power for the Down Scotsman.  The Wolf has the job on this day.

708342575_12LB12.JPG.44037b15dcdbf5d721c1accc42b9be77.JPG

A similar shot has appeared on WW, and on that one I managed to get a pole sticking out of the loco's chimney. We moved the train on a little and avoided that problem, but succeeded in getting a tree growing there instead.

You don't need my permission to post pictures of yours on your thread, Gilbert.

I thought it was 1958 when New England had the Down 'Scotsman. I'll have to look it up again.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

You don't need my permission to post pictures of yours on your thread, Gilbert.

I thought it was 1958 when New England had the Down 'Scotsman. I'll have to look it up again.

Regards,

Tony. 

1956 according to Eric Neve in East Coast from Kings Cross, Tony.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

1956 according to Eric Neve in East Coast from Kings Cross, Tony.

Thanks Gilbert,

There's a picture on page 26 of David Percival's King's Cross Lineside 1958-1984 showing 60502 on the Down 'Scotsman at Hitchin, in 1959. Normally, it would have been a 52A job.

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, phil.c said:

1298741122_peter5.jpg.db410e49287a4720c2c2df52c9d22639.jpg

That's a very interesting picture, and really remarkable, but I'm puzzled as to its purpose....

It's clearly on Gilbert's Peterborough North, but the Photoshopped-in background isn't appropriate. There is no rising land to the south on the real thing, the Cathedral should be dominant, and there appear to be 'mysterious' extra signals - one above the B17, and another between the water column and the Austerity. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm not really a fan of false backgrounds, false weathering and false smoke, no matter how clever one has to be to be able to do it (far too clever for me). I much prefer pictures which tell me it's a model railway, warts and all.

The above said, what you put on Gilbert's thread is entirely up to you, and, as I say, it is interesting. It's just that Gilbert and I have been comparing photographic methods on Little Bytham, and I'm sure there is no 'right way'.

With the notion of showing model railways as they are, I've had a further go at replicating another of Gilbert's images which appeared on Wright Writes.......

2044132379_Gilbertview10A.jpg.c4a22d0de7b988693a063a6f07ad90a2.jpg

Simple physics (the different sizes of the cameras) mean it's impossible to replicate exactly the same viewpoint, but it's near enough. Nikon Df, 35mm lens, F.29, 3 secs, 100 ASA, pulses of fill-in flash and a slight crop. 

I also tried a slightly tighter perspective......

195765700_Gilbertview10B.jpg.ec8b7feb3a7e7e6d30bfa7f83299b1e6.jpg

Nikon Df, 60mm Micro lens, F32, 4secs, 100 ASA, pulses of fill-in flash and a tighter crop. 

I know I've manipulated the backgrounds on both these shots (cloned from my backscene colours), but the modelling is as it is - warts and all.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Model railways are I guess all about escapism, none are real, but we make them to look real because most of use were there at the time of steam etc.

Gilbert's layout is one of the best on the forum, his pictures are still intact, warts and all, so, is there anything wrong when adding a picture with steam etc to show how it would look if it was real now and again ?

The reason the background is as it is, is because there are very few photographs of the area in the1930's that are good enough or at the right angle to include, I have had this discussion with Gilbert, and by the way, there are no extra signals added!

As for adding false backscene, I guess most modellers are at fault here then ?

I did asks the question regarding me adding some Photoshoped pictures now and again and no one objected, it's just a bit of fun, we are allowed fun on this forum....I hope :) But if someone does object then there will be no more.

Phil

Edited by phil.c
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, phil.c said:

Model railways are I guess all about escapism, none are real, but we make them to look real because most of use were there at the time of steam etc.

Gilbert's layout is one of the best on the forum, his pictures are still intact, warts and all, so, is there anything wrong when adding a picture with steam etc to show how it would look if it was real now and again ?

The reason the background is as it is, is because there are very few photographs of the area in the1950’s that are good enough or at the right angle to include, I have had this discussion with Gilbert, and by the way, there are no extra signals added!

I did asks the question regarding me adding some Photoshoped pictures now and again and no one objected, it's just a bit of fun, we are allowed fun on this forum....I hope :) But if someone does object then there will be no more.

Phil

well I got one enjoy them!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, phil.c said:

The reason the background is as it is, is because there are very few photographs of the area in the1930's that are good enough or at the right angle to include, I have had this discussion with Gilbert, and by the way, there are no extra signals added!

Phil

I personally don't object at all, Phil,

Anyway, it's really none of my business what you do to Gilbert's pictures, though I'm still puzzled as to the origins of those 'extra signals'.

It is a very-effective shot, and lots of fun, so, please, carry on.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I personally don't object at all, Phil,

Anyway, it's really none of my business what you do to Gilbert's pictures, though I'm still puzzled as to the origins of those 'extra signals'.

It is a very-effective shot, and lots of fun, so, please, carry on.

Regards,

Tony. 

The backscene was taken from two Peterborough station pictures, not the same direction but as I mentioned, good pictures are few and far between, especially with the correct angle, but they were the best available to me without an extensive search:( They are also out of focus so although not dead accurate, acceptable...I think :) There are no extra signals in these pictures and I certainly haven't added any as I'm sure the layout is quite accurate as it is.

There have been quite a few "Likes" to the picture, including one from Gilbert so I assumed all is well with the posting, in fact I think I've posted three or so, anyway, it's as I said, just a bit of fun and brings a sort of reality to what is itself a great layout.

12 minutes ago, phil.c said:

The backscene was taken from two Peterborough station pictures, not the same direction but as I mentioned, good pictures are few and far between, especially with the correct angle, but they were the best available to me without an extensive search:( They are also out of focus so although not dead accurate, acceptable...I think :) There are no extra signals in these pictures and I certainly haven't added any as I'm sure the layout is quite accurate as it is.

There have been quite a few "Likes" to the picture, including one from Gilbert so I assumed all is well with the posting, in fact I think I've posted three or so, anyway, it's as I said, just a bit of fun and brings a sort of reality to what is itself a great layout.

Thanks Phil,

I'm sure many like what you've done, and I'm not going to be saying anything against that. I have no right.

Without labouring a point (at least to me,) there appears to be a home and distant signal (both arms in the 'off') position, at right angles to the roads, above the B17. I assume they were on the original real shots? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil.c said:

We all have different ways of approaching things, including photography. Tony and I have, quite literally, different "takes" on the same subject, as can be seen on his thread recently. I admire your ability to do things with images that I couldn't even begin to comprehend, and it's good to see something different now and then.

So far as I'm concerned, anyone is welcome here, so long as there is mutual respect. Over the nearly ten years the thread has been going there have been very few instances where I have had any concern, and long may that continue.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

That's a very interesting picture, and really remarkable, but I'm puzzled as to its purpose....

It's clearly on Gilbert's Peterborough North, but the Photoshopped-in background isn't appropriate. There is no rising land to the south on the real thing, the Cathedral should be dominant, and there appear to be 'mysterious' extra signals - one above the B17, and another between the water column and the Austerity. 

As I've mentioned before, I'm not really a fan of false backgrounds, false weathering and false smoke, no matter how clever one has to be to be able to do it (far too clever for me). I much prefer pictures which tell me it's a model railway, warts and all.

The above said, what you put on Gilbert's thread is entirely up to you, and, as I say, it is interesting. It's just that Gilbert and I have been comparing photographic methods on Little Bytham, and I'm sure there is no 'right way'.

With the notion of showing model railways as they are, I've had a further go at replicating another of Gilbert's images which appeared on Wright Writes.......

2044132379_Gilbertview10A.jpg.c4a22d0de7b988693a063a6f07ad90a2.jpg

Simple physics (the different sizes of the cameras) mean it's impossible to replicate exactly the same viewpoint, but it's near enough. Nikon Df, 35mm lens, F.29, 3 secs, 100 ASA, pulses of fill-in flash and a slight crop. 

I also tried a slightly tighter perspective......

195765700_Gilbertview10B.jpg.ec8b7feb3a7e7e6d30bfa7f83299b1e6.jpg

Nikon Df, 60mm Micro lens, F32, 4secs, 100 ASA, pulses of fill-in flash and a tighter crop. 

I know I've manipulated the backgrounds on both these shots (cloned from my backscene colours), but the modelling is as it is - warts and all.

Regards,

Tony. 

I agree with Tony on this. It looks a nice picture, but nothing like Peterborough, where the biggest hill for miles around is the bridge over the railway (or under the railway on Oundle Road).

Lloyd

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, FarrMan said:

I agree with Tony on this. It looks a nice picture, but nothing like Peterborough, where the biggest hill for miles around is the bridge over the railway (or under the railway on Oundle Road).

Lloyd

Do you remember when Coachmann put a background of Welsh mountains on a couple of my shots, Lloyd? Those were really big hills. Just another bit of fun.

47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Do you remember when Coachmann put a background of Welsh mountains on a couple of my shots, Lloyd? Those were really big hills. Just another bit of fun.

Gilbert

No I don't remember that, but I can imagine the shock I would have!

Lloyd