Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Southend Central was the place to see the trains .Only Soul-less electrics at Victoria, when I used to go although it must have been a great place in the days of B12’s and B17’s  on the Liverpool St Semi fasts . The earliest train rides I can remember were on the LTSR and the first cab I ever went in was what I now know to be a LMS Class4 tank at Southend although aged about 4 at the time it was quite a scary experience.

As I got older I had some great memories at the end steam of both standard and  LMS class 4 tanks hammering through West Horndon at 80m.p.h with 11 on when they were non stop between Leigh and Upminster, back in the days before the world went mad and you were still allowed to stick your head out the window !

Southend Central was all class AM2s. At Victoria there were AM7s, AM8s and AM2s (sometimes) and the 03 in the coal yard. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The Kersall, where West Ham supporters went for a day out and had fun and a laugh.

Root's Hall where supporters of every other football club went for a day out to have fun and a laugh.

Clive,

Excuse my ignorance of the English Language,but I thought EVERY meant much the same as ALL . Not one less than ALL. :diablo_mini:

I will borrow my neighbours   Oxford Dictionary when he gets back from Sincil Bank.  :devil::devil:

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2020 at 09:06, Clive Mortimore said:

The Kersall, where West Ham supporters went for a day out and had fun and a laugh.

Root's Hall where supporters of every other football club went for a day out to have fun and a laugh.

On 03/02/2020 at 16:18, CUTLER2579 said:

Clive,

Excuse my ignorance of the English Language,but I thought EVERY meant much the same as ALL . Not one less than ALL. :diablo_mini:

I will borrow my neighbours   Oxford Dictionary when he gets back from Sincil Bank.  :devil::devil:

Regards,Derek.

Sorry Gilbert but I hope others understood what I meant. IF IT WAS NOT GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT FOR THE SELECTED FEW SNOBS THAT RECON THEY ARE BETTER THAN ME.

I will not post on here despite Gilbert being a friend.

EDIT, Derek contacted me and we have sorted things out. Thank you Derek.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 3

G'Day Folks

You've all got it wrong, it's Sarfend, Lived there for 13 years, nice place in the 70's and 80's, and I worked at Sarfend Central, it wasn't all EMU's we used to get the odd, loco hauled goods for the Army at Shoeburyness, usually steel plate that the Army used to shoot there big guns at, some of it was 6" thick, couple of weeks later you'd see it come back with nice neat holes in it.

Other loco hauled trains were Parcels trains for Sarfend East.

manna

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry Gilbert but I hope others understood what I meant. IF IT WAS NOT GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT FOR THE SELECTED FEW SNOBS THAT RECON THEY ARE BETTER THAN ME.

I will not post on here despite Gilbert being a friend.

Clive,

you have taken my post completely the wrong way. I was implying that of the 23 teams in Division One of the Football League not EVERY team went to Roots Hall to have fun & enjoy themselves. 21 did, Southend were excluded and Lincoln City certainly didn't on Saturday 1st February 2020.

If I have offended I most sincerely apologize so please accept my apology and I in turn will refrain from putting posts on here that are attempts at being funny. I am no Snob, far from it,better than anyone  - no way, as good as most. I think so. I do charity work and have done for 12 years since I retired.

Kindest Regards,Derek.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Just to say thank you to Ian,Gilbert and especially Clive who has been most gracious in accepting my sincere apology.

Kind Regards, Derek.

PS A true story.

Painter working at Kylie Minogues house is singing as he paints, she is a lovely Lady ,very friendly always asks after his family.

Tells him she has to go out, followed by "Oh Carl,by the way --Don't give up the day Job.

In my case it would have been leave the being funny to those who are.

• Like 3

Quote ;-  "Sun Stream as usual. It is possible that York may acquire another loco or two in about twelve months time, so its monopoly may be broken "

By 60512 Steady Aim, 60522 Sun Castle or Even 60524 Herringbone.

first two most likely as the third one is a bit fishy.:heart_mini:

1 hour ago, great northern said:

I was about to say that filth does have a certain fascination, but I won't, as it might provoke replies which involve wilful misinterpretation.

One man's filth is another man's art...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil.c said:

That's a nice bridge, kit built I assume?

Phil

The basis of it is a Roco kit. I first bought one in the early 80s, as even back then I was thinking about the possibility of modelling PN one day. That one eventually got put on the loft layout, and was transferred down to PN when that project started. Then I bought another kit, and in consultation with Peter Leyland decided to start again and do a job tailored to its new location. Fortunately the span is just right for the tracks it has to cover, so Peter used that part of the kit, and then scratchbuilt the rest around it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Quote ;-  "Sun Stream as usual. It is possible that York may acquire another loco or two in about twelve months time, so its monopoly may be broken "

By 60512 Steady Aim, 60522 Sun Castle or Even 60524 Herringbone.

first two most likely as the third one is a bit fishy.:heart_mini:

522 was Straight Deal, Derek. I'd like Steady Aim, which was the one I saw most often, but if Hornby do it as stated it has the wrong boiler for 1958. York also has the possibility of an A2/2 or a V2, or possibly even both, so the A2/3 might be a local one.

• RMweb Premium

I may be very naive, but even after 74 years experience to the contrary, I still try to think the best of people. Many thanks to both Derek and Clive, who have sorted what was a genuine misunderstanding in the first place. My faith in human nature is at least temporarily restored.:sungum:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

50 minutes ago, great northern said:

Many thanks to both Derek and Clive,

If you think I'm going to let that opportunity pass, you've got another think coming!

image.png.99e72603b69bdf823d8e06fc87fee1a1.png

As I was saying:

One man's filth.

Another man's art.

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 4
  • Funny 6

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

A crowded scene looking North from on high.

1510453390_171.JPG.55b9a76cf85b9fdb80700f67dd955614.JPG

The Ivatt will no doubt be off along the M&GN shortly, and a BG is being reversed onto the Ely-Birmingham stock at Platform 6. An A4 with headboard gives the scene added anticipation.

1083431162_272.JPG.32e6f065b069c9414d9b63f0a6d7fde8.JPG

Close enough now for the spotters to be disappointed, but surely they wouldn't shout "scrap it" at Sir Nigel, would they? That forest of signal arms would be daunting for a driver who didn't know the road, I should think.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I don't know the answer. Wouldn't the Scotsman or any other named train be in maroon? Or would that be more likely by 1960?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, davidw said:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I don't know the answer. Wouldn't the Scotsman or any other named train be in maroon? Or would that be more likely by 1960?

It probably "should" be all maroon David, officially that is, but most 1958 photos seem to show a mixture nevertheless. Mine has 8 maroon to 3 crimson and cream, but two of the latter happen to be at the front of the train.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I've just been leafing through a Keith pirt colour album and one on York. You're quite correct. I think only when seeing in model form, do I then really look at prototype pictures.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks I've just been leafing through a Keith pirt colour album and one on York. You're quite correct. I think only when seeing in model form, do I then really look at prototype pictures.

David, 

He normally is with prototype research. I think it goes with the territory of his profession !!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/02/2020 at 22:15, great northern said:

Gayton Hall arrives with the Ely-Birmingham.

1265739450_71641.JPG.7352c24005775da9a2f5e55faa6974f2.JPG

and is captured again before uncoupling and heading off to the sheds.

1499590519_816412.JPG.0bb30884db3386ed96982d97cca2070f.JPG

There were certainly some strange train services in 1958 . Who in their right mind would be wanting to travel from Ely to Birmingham back in them days ?  A few years after that  I travelled from Ely to Peterborough behind a (Green) Brush Type 2 / class 31 towing three wonderful old Gresley coaches apparently deputising for a failed DMU. There was literally nobody else on it apart from me (train spotter) and two other boys apparently going swimming in Peterborough. It only stopped at March where nobody got on or off. There must have been times when it had no passengers at all.

Why they needed to pay Dr B.Ching  £24 k a year to tell them these services were uneconomic is beyond me . I could have told them that for nothing. 

A wonderful opportunity to model B17’s in their dying days though..........

Lovely pictures.

• Like 3

Jazzer,

it was called a service, if Mrs Jazzer needed to attend a hospital appointment in Birmingham,she could get there from her palatial home in Ely. If her next door neighbour wanted to work in Essendine he could get there by train. If Mrs Cutler a resident of Peterborough wanted to visit the "Ship of the Fens" (Ely Cathedral) she could get there  by  - you've guessed it by CAR.

:D                                                            

• Like 1