Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Dull day? The heavy shadow in the first pic implies bright sunshine, as does the light on the 'box in the second. Your lighting possibilities are a lot better than some. 

It is hard to explain if you haven't seen the room Ian. It really was dull that day, as it was yesterday when I took those experimental images. However, to get any light at all in those conditions I have to open the blinds, and what light there is coming in is still strong enough to cast shadows. It helps if I convince myself not to point the camera into the light, but I'm not always able to do that.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think the coach looks better and if this was a fictitious layout, I’d go for that. But this is PN. You’ve invested heavily in creating a superb model of a real location. So I think you have to try to do the best you can to replicate what was there I.e. Nene sidings. It won’t be perfect, backscenes never are, but it will be PN.

Sorry to create more work! 

Andy

Thank you Andy. On reflection, I think that sums it up. That's what should be there, and so something  must be devised to ensure that it is.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It's those vans again! Actually that is a 'real railway' shot. Trains were never everywhere all the time, while quiet corners could be found at any location. Smashing view. 

Thanks Ian. I did make sure the vans weren't illegally parked too.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It's those vans again! Actually that is a 'real railway' shot. Trains were never everywhere all the time, while quiet corners could be found at any location. Smashing view. 

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium

I am confused again. Nene sidings are quite a way down from the station, and at a lower level, so would they be visible when looking under Crescent Bridge? Logic would say not, but then what about this image. I have shown this before, courtesy of peterboroughimages.co .uk, but I'd be grateful if you would have another look at it.

64217-crescent.jpg.6db37d436ed0939e00033df05f434c53.jpg

Surely what can be seen framed by the gantry on the left of the signal box is the ends of parked coaching stock? But they look closer than the chute to the power station, which they shouldn't be.  This is the only image I can find which gives as clear a view as this. All others are shrouded by smoke and steam. What do you make of this, please?

• Like 6

Gilbert,

The Nene Sidings are roughly at the same level as the station area. The illusion that they are lower, is due to the GNR having to climb over the LNWR and MR routes to Peterborough East.

As for the carriage ends positions relative to the the Power Station conveyor, it’ll be down to the Telephoto lense in your Mk1 eyeball.

Hope you survived the Nottingham traffic?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

The Nene Sidings are roughly at the same level as the station area. The illusion that they are lower, is due to the GNR having to climb over the LNWR and MR routes to Peterborough East.

As for the carriage ends positions relative to the the Power Station conveyor, it’ll be down to the Telephoto lense in your Mk1 eyeball.

Hope you survived the Nottingham traffic?

Paul

Thanks Paul, that's a great help. Surprising that they show up so large and clear when they are that far away though.

I've been reading up on the nightmare that is Nottingham traffic at present. With three lanes of Clifton Bridge westbound closed for the foreseeable future, the City centre has been a car park for days at peak times. Someone posted that it took over an hour to get from Canal Street roundabout to Trent Bridge. Now we can't get round the City over Gunthorpe Bridge either, owing to flooding in the villages, so it is going to be even worse. I have postponed this afternoon's appointment, which would have left me in Arnold at 4.45pm. Goodness knows how long it would have taken me to get home.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, phil.c said:

It would be interesting to take a shot of the layout from exactly the same angle and with a similar loco?

I think I did that some time back, but I'll have another go tomorrow, as it might help me to visualise what can be done.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Herbert Nigel said:

Gilbert,

The O.S. 25 inch to the mile map appears to show the Northern end of those sidings as being no more than 120 yards South of the (Northern) end of the goods shed if that’s any help.

It is indeed, thank you.  It seems quite a long way when on a train restarting from a stop there, but obviously it isn't really very far.

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Thanks Paul, that's a great help. Surprising that they show up so large and clear when they are that far away though.

I've been reading up on the nightmare that is Nottingham traffic at present. With three lanes of Clifton Bridge westbound closed for the foreseeable future, the City centre has been a car park for days at peak times. Someone posted that it took over an hour to get from Canal Street roundabout to Trent Bridge. Now we can't get round the City over Gunthorpe Bridge either, owing to flooding in the villages, so it is going to be even worse. I have postponed this afternoon's appointment, which would have left me in Arnold at 4.45pm. Goodness knows how long it would have taken me to get home.

I’ve heard the structural problem with Clifton Bridge is due to corrosion caused by decades of Pigeon Poo.  No idea if this is the official cause

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, great northern said:

I think I did that some time back, but I'll have another go tomorrow, as it might help me to visualise what can be done.

Super imposing the sidings background to your shot should be interesting providing it's at the same angle etc :)