Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Yes, well, I've actually gone too far back, as of course there was no writing back in the stone age, and my plan requires some. Don't fancy hieroglyphs, and I can't find any wax tablets or styli on Amazon. Middle ages? Nope, I've forgotten my O level Latin, and I'm not sure I could do the illuminations. So it will have to be pen and paper.

What's 'e on about, I hear you cry. Well, I want to redo the sequence display. Why? Because Windoze has very belatedly realised that my copy of Office is unofficial, and won't let me amend it. If I pay for a new programme, I'm then going to have to transfer it to something portable. The choice lies between an ancient laptop, which is now too big for the space I have left, or a cheap tablet which is in use at present. Its battery life is appalling though, and I don't know how to make amendments on it.

Following my clear out when the bookshelf came down though, I have a perfectly serviceable arch lever file. I think that's what it is called anyway, and plenty of paper complete with the necessary holes in the right places. That means I can gradually redo and amend the whole thing as the sequence develops, I'm not reliant on modern technology and its ability to go wrong, and it is a method I am very familiar with. Then the file can just live in the railway room, and I turn the pages as I go along. I'd like the old flip top method, but it seems you can't get that anymore.

The downside of course is that this will be laborious, and will take a long time. But folks, time is something we over 70s are going to have a lot of to fill before long, so it seems like a good idea to me. What do you reckon? Am I going even madder than usual?  Or can you think of a better way to do it?

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Yes, well, I've actually gone too far back, as of course there was no writing back in the stone age, and my plan requires some. Don't fancy hieroglyphs, and I can't find any wax tablets or styli on Amazon. Middle ages? Nope, I've forgotten my O level Latin, and I'm not sure I could do the illuminations. So it will have to be pen and paper.

What's 'e on about, I hear you cry. Well, I want to redo the sequence display. Why? Because Windoze has very belatedly realised that my copy of Office is unofficial, and won't let me amend it. If I pay for a new programme, I'm then going to have to transfer it to something portable. The choice lies between an ancient laptop, which is now too big for the space I have left, or a cheap tablet which is in use at present. Its battery life is appalling though, and I don't know how to make amendments on it.

Following my clear out when the bookshelf came down though, I have a perfectly serviceable arch lever file. I think that's what it is called anyway, and plenty of paper complete with the necessary holes in the right places. That means I can gradually redo and amend the whole thing as the sequence develops, I'm not reliant on modern technology and its ability to go wrong, and it is a method I am very familiar with. Then the file can just live in the railway room, and I turn the pages as I go along. I'd like the old flip top method, but it seems you can't get that anymore.

The downside of course is that this will be laborious, and will take a long time. But folks, time is something we over 70s are going to have a lot of to fill before long, so it seems like a good idea to me. What do you reckon? Am I going even madder than usual?  Or can you think of a better way to do it?

I hope you have rubber to erase any minor errors, there will not be any big ones. Far easier than being told by some greedy multinational corporation that you are stealing their product and cannot amend what you have done.

Isn't paper and pencil pre DCC without the extra "C"?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

If I understand your comment correctly, then you are in need of an Word Processor or Spreadsheet program.  In which case have a look at Open Office or Libre Office, both of which are free and should be able to handle Word and Excel (amongst other formats).

Adrian

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yippee! First time I've been first to 'like'!!

You can tell I'm locked up, can't you!

Thank you, Gilbert, for keeping your wonderful thread of 'real' life going amongst all the abnormality of these days.

Do hope you keep safe and well.

Anthony

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yippee! First time I've been first to 'like'!!

You can tell I'm locked up, can't you!

Thank you, Gilbert, for keeping your wonderful thread of 'real' life going amongst all the abnormality of these days.

Do hope you keep safe and well.

Anthony

I think RMWeb becomes ever more important now. Apart from the virus possibilities, we are going to experience social deprivation we haven't encountered before, and have a lot of very long days to fill. This therefore becomes a major means of interaction, and of course I'll keep posting the images if I'm able. I'm very concerned about this, as I'm sure many others are, so let's widen the area of this thread to whatever we feel might be of assistance. I hope others will take the same view with their threads also. We need to keep safe, but ensure we look after mental health as well as physical.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

That V2 looks great Gilbert - the colour seems just right to me.

Very best wishes,

Alastair M

5 minutes ago, 380John said:

Absolutely beautiful finish on the V2. Tone, Hue and the way light reflects on it look superb. Fantastic looking model. 

John

That's an Ian Rathbone paint job, on an engine scratch built by Mike Edge, two wonderful craftsmen of the hobby.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

G'Day Folks

The 1950's were so much more civilized. I can remember a Smallpox outbreak, in North London, in the 1959-60's, we all had to queue outside the Doctors for our jab, but no panic buying, and no-one worried.

I think you need a signalbox type book for all your train movements, stay safe.

manna ( in permanent self isolation in the Ozzie Outback) 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I got the order to stay away from,well just about everywhere, yesterday, and I’m only 64!

one silver lining though is that SWMBO is going to have to give up seeing her dragon , sorry mother, which will bring much more peace to the manor.

Hmmmm manor? Isn’t that some strange green and coppery creature from the western swamps? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

I got the order to stay away from,well just about everywhere, yesterday, and I’m only 64!

one silver lining though is that SWMBO is going to have to give up seeing her dragon , sorry mother, which will bring much more peace to the manor.

Hmmmm manor? Isn’t that some strange green and coppery creature from the western swamps? 

I thought that was the Grange,Hall or Castle. Hat,Coat,etc.

I posted the following under it's own topic on here,however I believe  people such as Lord Clive of Louth will be able to help with thiis enquiry,so Gilbert excuse me using your topic for my benefit.

I wonder if anyone can suggest the best paint colour and name/number  hence manufacturer to use on the Corridor partitions in a BR MK1 coach. This is for a Bachmann Brassworks O Gauge coach  which unlike their OO Gauge cousins don't come with plastic ready coloured partitions ,but require brass or plasticard  ones painting. I just want to be able to enter a retail outlet and pick up the right thing rather than spend ages looking as I am a vunerable Old Git of 1946 vintage.I realise from travelling in the coaches in the 50' & 60's that the corridor partitions were made from varnished unpainted wood,but I have forgotten which colour I use to use to represent it. An age thing I assume.

Thanks in anticipation.

12 hours ago, figworthy said:

If I understand your comment correctly, then you are in need of an Word Processor or Spreadsheet program.  In which case have a look at Open Office or Libre Office, both of which are free and should be able to handle Word and Excel (amongst other formats).

Adrian

Gilbert

I use Libre Office, and it is fine with Word and Excel documents. The only thing to remember is that when saving a document to be shared, you need to save it as a Word or Excel document, or those on Microsoft will not be able to open it. There are some slight differences, but a lot of similarities. If you do decide to go down that line and are having problems, I MAY be able to help you.

I trust that you make the best of your isolation and keep the rest of us well entertained as usual.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely images as usual Gilbert. The one under the roof is probably one of the best and certainly my favourite. It just exudes power and class. Thank you for the constant supply of images.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I posted the following under it's own topic on here,however I believe  people such as Lord Clive of Louth will be able to help with thiis enquiry,so Gilbert excuse me using your topic for my benefit.

I wonder if anyone can suggest the best paint colour and name/number  hence manufacturer to use on the Corridor partitions in a BR MK1 coach. This is for a Bachmann Brassworks O Gauge coach  which unlike their OO Gauge cousins don't come with plastic ready coloured partitions ,but require brass or plasticard  ones painting. I just want to be able to enter a retail outlet and pick up the right thing rather than spend ages looking as I am a vunerable Old Git of 1946 vintage.I realise from travelling in the coaches in the 50' & 60's that the corridor partitions were made from varnished unpainted wood,but I have forgotten which colour I use to use to represent it. An age thing I assume.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Derek

According to Keith Parkin's wonderful Mk1 coach book the compartments were lined with light coloured veneers, with a small sign stating what timber it was and where in the world it came from.  From memory smoking compartments always seemed darker wood, internal weathering.

I am sure some later builds had light coloured plastic interiors.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Derek

According to Keith Parkin's wonderful Mk1 coach book the compartments were lined with light coloured veneers, with a small sign stating what timber it was and where in the world it came from.  From memory smoking compartments always seemed darker wood, internal weathering.

I am sure some later builds had light coloured plastic interiors.

Was that the material of the time...Melamine was it?

P

• Agree 2

Ah V2's very nice.i am becoming more acquainted with the breed at the moment as l slowly work through 2 Finney kits concurrently. The more I do on them the more they grow on me. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, great northern said:

Have to go out, though I'd rather not, so one hasty image for now. Shabby local V2 with ECS from Doncaster, but going no further than Nene Sidings.

214351040_78531.JPG.cbfe025f4a3cd71991c696eb5254eec3.JPG

What a difference to the previous V2. It's be intersesting to see how the new Bachmann v2 compares. I hope their lining doesn't look too much like a bubble bee!

53 minutes ago, DougN said:

Ah V2's very nice.i am becoming more acquainted with the breed at the moment as l slowly work through 2 Finney kits concurrently. The more I do on them the more they grow on me. 

Do you have pictures of the build Doug?