Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A bit late now, but regarding your comment on the wonky headboard A1 shot, if I may make so bold - you don't want to be getting the loco in the centre of the shot, but obey the 'Rule of Thirds'.

I can't decide if the Claud or the B12 win the good looker award, never mind those oddly proportioned B17 things.  The Claud is sublime, it wins - decision!  surely two of Hornby's best models, enhanced by Tim.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 03/04/2020 at 09:31, great northern said:

Two more looks at that lovely well cleaned B12, as it sets off towards Norwich. Actually, I am now quite intrigued. What route would it take to get there? My public timetable is for 1957, and the train is not shown as running that year. The 1958 WTT only takes me as far as East.

898854556_515582.JPG.8e7721bd69c03983d59cee8146ef3c69.JPG

1826463886_615583.JPG.4ede2daa7f6f1b6812054a6cb48d08dc.JPG

According to my 1960 public timetable there were two through trains a day between Peterborough and Norwich. The first was the 9.43 From East , which called at March, then Lakenheath and all stations except Heathersett, so no Ely stop. The other was the Birmingham - Norwich which called at East, departing 6.50pm , then all stations to March, thereafter appears to have gone non stop to Thetford then Norwich, so again no Ely stop although there seems to have been a connecting DMU Service to Ely .

Hope this helps .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

By 1960 these trains appear to have gone over to DMUs. The Cambridge services certainly had. I suspect the starting of the morning Norwich train from North may have been a one off experiment, perhaps only for the 58 summer timetable. I can't find it in any of the other public timetables I have.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm still puzzling over the way the official coach formations book shows things. So far as I am aware, the LNER had two diagrams of corridor third/second, Dia 155 for Gresley stock, and Dia 329 for Thompson. Both had seven compartments, and seated 42 people. The book normally just shows SK(7), but in some cases also the symbol for a transverse corridor car, ie Dia 329.

The vast majority of specific indications for transverse corridor cars occur on Saturdays only trains, and I had rather naively assumed that if that indication wasn't there, a Dia 155 was required. However, having checked and thought again, I believe I have got that wrong. If the seating is identical, as it is, why would it be deemed necessary to specify a particular diagram?  The only reason I can think of, which might account for the vast majority being specified for Saturdays, would be that transverse corridor cars would take less time for passengers to get on or off, which would be important at peak times. I believe that is why all door stock was generally allocated to the West Riding trains, and end door to the Newcastle/Scottish ones.

One more puzzle is that on a few occasions the symbol for an end door car appears beside a 7:42 car. But why would it be necessary to do that? Weren't all seven compartment thirds/seconds end door vehicles anyway?

I must be missing something. Can any of our former railwaymen, or anyone else for that matter, assist me with this? If most of the time either Gresley or Thompson stock was correct, it would make my life a lot easier.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

By 1960 these trains appear to have gone over to DMUs. The Cambridge services certainly had. I suspect the starting of the morning Norwich train from North may have been a one off experiment, perhaps only for the 58 summer timetable. I can't find it in any of the other public timetables I have.

The 1960 timetable indicates which services were planned for DMUs. Both the East - Norwich and Birmingham- Norwich were apparently loco hauled, although it’s quite possible that by then it was by Brush Type 2’s.

On 03/04/2020 at 14:09, great northern said:

Yours is more end of steam condition Peter, when all pretence at anything but essential maintenance had been abandoned. In the 50s I can't remember seeing much in the way of rust and other stuff of that sort. It was just a gradual accumulation of coats of grime, and that's what the photos of Sunderland and many other engines show. Some had streaks of limescale from priming too, but that's about all.

My recollection is the same. I can’t really comment on the 50’s but as I recall Top Shed did a fairly decent job to the end. I  think a lot of modellers overdo the rust. I agree also about limescale. A few locos had limescale streaks but not all that many , as I recall. 

Edited by jazzer

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jazzer said:

The 1960 timetable indicates which services were planned for DMUs. Both the East - Norwich and Birmingham- Norwich were apparently loco hauled, although it’s quite possible that by then it was by Brush Type 2’s.

Unfortunately by that time there were no B12s, and only one D16, and it didn't do much work. March had three B17s till June 60, and two of them were on shed in steam when I visited that May, but I think you're right, Brush 2s are most likely to have been used.

That must have been unusual for a B1 to be at just one shed from its arrival New in June 1947 until Withdrawal on 28th December 1963.

61207 @ New England. I don't know of another B1 like that,however I am sure somebody will know of others.

Keep Safe.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Not at all Gilbert! The more the merrier.

Absolutely!

In these time of not being allowed to go outside  (or anywhere of interest) most of us are spending more time in front of the computer.
The more time you spend playing trains the happier you are, and the more pictures we get to see of your wonderful layout the happier we are.

Everyone wins! :yahoo:

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 3
  • Agree 13

4 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Now, not nit-picking, but...

are the 5s on that cabside upside down?

Stewart

ps to add...I'm not sure about the 1s either. :jester:

G'day Folks

Not to sure, only arrived the other day,   I'll go have a look.

Seem to be OK, here's a close up.

manna

DSCF4673.JPG

Edited by manna
Added info.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1