Peterborough North

great northern

11 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Not to sure, only arrived the other day,   I'll go have a look.

Seem to be OK, here's a close up.

manna

DSCF4673.JPG

Yes definitely correct in that blow-up, yet in the original I was certain the flat (top) was as the bottom, and the curve (bottom) was at the top. A strange optical illusion.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

The overhead shot, posted 21hours ago, ‘fantastic’.

Great to hear from you Peter!  Are you and the family OK? Lots of your work in that shot from Spital Bridge, and that goes a long way towards making the picture so effective.

• Agree 2

Gilbert

What a lovely image that is of the water crane. There is so much careful detail even on a relatively minor item like this. This is what makes it such a realistic model. There is so much attention to detail in every part of the model, including the operation.

Many thanks for keeping so many of us so well entertained.

Keep well

Lloyd

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Your daily/multi-daily posts are very much appreciated in these trying times.  The last few posts have been very good - a little out of left field but all the better for it.   (Sorry as an Australian I probably use too many American expressions.)

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

We shall have an elevenses image. Living close to the coaling stage is this water crane.

611633446_21crane.JPG.186d76cb4bf12d823366492dae32170b.JPG

Nice water crane!  Has it been shortened do you know?  I've got a few similar by Mike's Models but I've always though they looked too tall.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Nice water crane!  Has it been shortened do you know?  I've got a few similar by Mike's Models but I've always though they looked too tall.

It has Steve. I had more than I was going to need, so I had a go at cutting one down. Not good enough, but it showed me where I had gone wrong, so I had a go at this one, and it turned out OK. The rest though needed to remain taller, so I bottled out and asked Peter Leyland to do them. There is still one that needs to be done.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

We shall have an elevenses image. Living close to the coaling stage is this water crane.

4 hours ago, great northern said:

611633446_21crane.JPG.186d76cb4bf12d823366492dae32170b.JPG

Lovely piece of modelling in particular the rail looks very real however I am concerned about the size of the spiders at Peterborough given what appears to be cobwebs on the fire devil!

As always, lovely pictures and wonderful modelling!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, great northern said:

And so we reach last Tuesday's images. That was the day I went up to run trains a lot earlier than normal, and I realised that the sun had not yet got far enough round to shine in through the  window at the south end of the layout. Well, I thought, could shots across from the Up side to the Down work here at this time of day?  The White Rose was due, and appeared with Woolwinder at the head. This is what we got from Platform 2.

39932900_3553.JPG.fb4b22e3ef4de955aff168ed4477b80f.JPG

and it is the best shot I have ever got from this angle. Flushed with success, I followed the train to the north end, and tried the same again. The sun had managed to get to this end though, and so I got the familiar result, and had to resort to black and white again.

1675072004_5555.JPG.8a9bf697f70de4d85b0428606dc77450.JPG

The first one is a good result though.

Headboard perfectly square on the smoke box, headlamps perfectly positioned , I couldn’t let that go with congratulating on the result ! And a kylchap  fitted  A3. What more could a spotter wish for ? 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Lovely piece of modelling in particular the rail looks very real however I am concerned about the size of the spiders at Peterborough given what appears to be cobwebs on the fire devil!

As always, lovely pictures and wonderful modelling!

Kind regards,

Richard B

I hadn't noticed that. I can't remember seeing a spider in there, so they must come out at night. It was different in the loft though. I still remeber when a very large one landed on the back of my neck.:scare:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Headboard perfectly square on the smoke box, headlamps perfectly positioned , I couldn’t let that go with congratulating on the result ! And a kylchap  fitted  A3. What more could a spotter wish for ? 

I admit I was rather pleased about the headboard.

• Like 4

Gilbert please forgive a slightly off-topic post.

I don't know about the res of you, but with another 12 weeks of staying home ahead of me, as instructed today by HMG, the thought of 84v more evenings desperately scouring netflix, amazon and Sky for something interesting fills me with dread.

Since getting out of hospital ( two weeks tomorrow, so definitely CV19 free) I've taken my iPad to bed - as much as a way to tell the time as to help if I disturb in the wee small hours by Cathrin up with the dreaded social media.

Recently I've started finding the odd railway related videos on Flutube, and wondered if anyone here would like to share titles and links so we can all keep ourselves interested while being moderately close to the them of interest.

If I ay I'll start it with an old favourite - Return to Everecreech Junction, which is in three parts. 

I know it's not LNER themed, but it does have some great shots of 9Fs, and we all have one of those (or four in my case) lurking around somewhere 

Link below:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, westerner said:

Excuse my temerity Gilbert, but don't those buildings need some bedding in? Perhaps weeds and general yard detritus round the base of the walls.

I've just taken another photo in the same area today Alan, and thought exactly the same thing. Yes, they do, and it was on the list for Peter and I to do last summer. For various reasons Peter didn't get here though, and I suspect the same will happen this year too. I have a very impressive list of things to be done, quite a few more pressing than this, but hopefully I may get to it later. It depends how long I'm locked up for, I suppose.

• Friendly/supportive 3