Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another lovely morning, and lots to look forwards to. There will be a duvet cover struggle, more crud cleaning, even possibly some hoovering. What more could a man ask?

Meanwhile, only 62 years ago,:o Kittiwake carries on. Two similar shots here, as I was judging the effect of putting white backscene over the top of the blue.

140653652_31203.JPG.e206d26e502aef495dc4d69329ec80bb.JPG

1170926190_41204.JPG.b6a7e6863f6ea2dc939fb28113d9e6ed.JPG

I had hoped this would save me having to photoshop between all the segments of the bridge every time, but of course it does nothing of the sort, unless I'm content with a plain white background, which I'm not.

Those bogie whells on the A1 are too small. TW has told me that no end of times, but I'm finally getting to the stage of doing something about it.

The train features some Thompson catering cars, so our man decided he would like a shot of them.

1414856858_5catering.JPG.69944ae99528c26a3bb767da59de3829.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

Someone (me, Tim, you?) has actually replaced KITTIWAKE's bogie wheels with exactly the right type. Compare their correct appearance with the other Bachmann A1s you've got. 

Just one other point; regarding the Thompson catering cars, on the RSO the oval windows should be white, as should the kitchen windows on the RF, whether they be on the corridor side or not. 

Pictures exist of a few early Thompson vehicles with plain glass (or frosted glass) in the toilet/commode windows but by 1958 I believe they'd all be white. Also, by 1958 most catering cars in maroon carried the BR roundel. 

I await the photographic evidence proving me wrong!

Best regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

Someone (me, Tim, you?) has actually replaced KITTIWAKE's bogie wheels with exactly the right type. Compare their correct appearance with the other Bachmann A1s you've got. 

Just one other point; regarding the Thompson catering cars, on the RSO the oval windows should be white, as should the kitchen windows on the RF, whether they be on the corridor side or not. 

Pictures exist of a few early Thompson vehicles with plain glass (or frosted glass) in the toilet/commode windows but by 1958 I believe they'd all be white. Also, by 1958 most catering cars in maroon carried the BR roundel. 

I await the photographic evidence proving me wrong!

Best regards,

Tony. 

Good Morning Tony,

Oh, ain't that wonderful! Only I could pick probably the only A1 which has been altered. I don't know who did it, except that it certainly wasn't me. I'd say you were favourite.

The Thompsons go back 20+ years to the days of Phoenix and Marc Models. Mike Radford is a Southern man, of course, and didn't pick up on things like this, and all those years ago I was a lot more lax about the instuctions I gave. As to the roundels, I've never been sure when they appeared. I doubt they will get altered now.... well the roundels might, but I don't fancy taking the coaches apart.

Edited by great northern
to correct spelling

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, croydon junction said:

Out of interest, PN looks brilliant but with all this extra time in the railway room, have you thought of trying to build any extensions or anything? I know it would be very difficult logistically, but it might remove any monotony in current operations?

There is very little scope for doing more, but I'm now realising that there is plenty I should have been doing over the years. I should be cleaning track and rolling stock wheels much more regularly for a start, and if I keep up with that operations should be much more reliable, and thus more pleasurable.

Also, I do keep finding little details to tweak, both on the layout and in the sequence, which at 366 moves and counting is really too protracted for monotony to set in. Actually, I am just getting now to a point where I can remember most of the macro and signal numbers without the need for a prompt, and that makes things smoother too.

If I do get to the point where it all gets too predictable, I shall look at having a separate Saturday timetable sequence, but that won't work until Bachmann come up with a lot more V2s. This strange situation in which we find ourselves is already making me more positive in my outlook to life in general, and the railway in particular, so there is some good to be gained from it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

On 07/04/2020 at 17:27, bigwordsmith said:

Gilbert please forgive a slightly off-topic post.

I don't know about the res of you, but with another 12 weeks of staying home ahead of me, as instructed today by HMG, the thought of 84v more evenings desperately scouring netflix, amazon and Sky for something interesting fills me with dread.

Since getting out of hospital ( two weeks tomorrow, so definitely CV19 free) I've taken my iPad to bed - as much as a way to tell the time as to help if I disturb in the wee small hours by Cathrin up with the dreaded social media.

Recently I've started finding the odd railway related videos on Flutube, and wondered if anyone here would like to share titles and links so we can all keep ourselves interested while being moderately close to the them of interest.

If I ay I'll start it with an old favourite - Return to Everecreech Junction, which is in three parts. 

I know it's not LNER themed, but it does have some great shots of 9Fs, and we all have one of those (or four in my case) lurking around somewhere 

Link below:

Here's one of my all time favourites, very much in keeping with the theme of the tread, which should turbo charge your rate or recovery and I hope be of interest to others

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+elizabethan+express&docid=607996072580218948&mid=1480891ECC7E978A022D1480891ECC7E978A022D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Hi Gilbert,

another very realistic photo there, stood on the Shed roof, you obviously have a head for heights, you would never get me up there, ha ha

Peter

Well Peter, apart from vehicles, a tree, and the mighty duck's poles, just about everything on that photo is your work! That's why it is so realistic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jazzer said:

Here's one of my all time favourites, very much in keeping with the theme of the tread, which should turbo charge your rate or recovery and I hope be of interest to others

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+elizabethan+express&docid=607996072580218948&mid=1480891ECC7E978A022D1480891ECC7E978A022D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

I really enjoyed that!

The attitude to smoking has certainly changed since then!!

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I really enjoyed that!

The attitude to smoking has certainly changed since then!!

I must have watched that at least 5 times, and now for a sixth - what a wonderful time to have been alive!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

I must have watched that at least 5 times, and now for a sixth - what a wonderful time to have been alive!

Watch out for the shunters big mistake when he couples up at KX. As he climbs down he puts his hand between the buffers.. slight movement from the engine and no fingers !

34 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Watch out for the shunters big mistake when he couples up at KX. As he climbs down he puts his hand between the buffers.. slight movement from the engine and no fingers !

The bit that intrigued me was how throughout the journey the colalload always seemed to be brimming over the top of the tender

I remember reading an interview with the fireman on the first half of that leg after he went on to become a driver himself. He may even have written a biography

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

For our eleven o'clock cuppa today, we will visit the Great Northern hotel.8_hotel_entrance.JPG.eef0b1632c11c9bc633f8947ae4507c0.JPG

Not a very impressive front entrance though, and you'd think the door might be open at this time of day.

I didn't think it was impressive inside. The charity I was working for had a conference meeting there, the real building, we wouldn't fit inside the model. At lunchtime I wanted to nip across the road and see some trains. No not allowed we had to mingle with people from the other teams. Made worse by hearing the whistle of a steam special go by and I didn't see it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10