Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Another vote here for the LNER (ex GN) Ivatt C1 and C2 Atlantics - no real contest. The ex GCR Robinson "Jersey Lillies" were also very attractive as were some of the others, but The C1 with a train of Pullmans or Gresley teak coaches behind is just marvellous.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

I always thought that the various NER Atlantics were rather fine looking engines and the NBR Atlantics looked robust.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1

Oh dear, this Atlantic choice is going to require a judgement of Solomon....

I was lucky enough to be taken to Harringay West by my Dad to see the two preserved GN Atlantics hauling "The Plant Centenarian" in 1953, so Mr Ivatt's locos left a deep impression.  The Railway Modeller for, I think, April 1954 featured a NE "Z" class Atlantic, I pestered my Dad to build me one but, though he was one of the most multi-skilled men I have known, scratch-building one would have formed an enormous step from 3 rail Trix! 

In later years, I was charmed by the Edwardian elegance of Mr Robinson's locos but would nowadays prefer an  "Immingham" to a Jersey Lilly - and painted apple green, too. 

I am lucky enough to own models of classes C1, C2, C4, C7 and the NB C11, and a print of Henry Oakley at Nottingham Victoria hangs in my stairwell,  However, I think my nomination for best-looking Atlantic would have to be one of which I have no representation,  the C7 as modernised by Gresley.  Two were fitted with Lentz valves, raised running plate and D49 cab, whilst two were fitted with boosters and classified C9 and had more modern looking tenders in addition to raised running plates.  My final choice is a C9 after removal of booster and associated plumbing.  But I don't think that will be most popular!

• Like 2

The C1 is more than a locomotive, it is an art form . I am astonished they don’t have one on display at the V&A . Having said that, I did find that it was almost a religious experience to see the partially  reconstituted H2 at the Bluebell Railway painted in the wonderful BR lined black so I would put them forward as joint favourites.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a travesty on this thread and coming from an LNE enthusiast but I think the Brighton Atlantics looked better than the GN C1s!  They didn't have a gap in the running plate for the cylinders to poke through.

• Agree 1

G'Day Folks

I like both GN loco's, but I suppose the C1 has to take the honours, but I've always thought the C2 is the more elegant.

manna

manna

• RMweb Premium

Three main contenders in the Atlantic poll. Both the NE variety and the H2 both did well, but, helped by overnight votes from the Antipodes, the C1 turned out to be the clear winner, securing more votes than any other class so far.

Today, let's have a look at the heavy mob. The most attractive and graceful 2.8.0. folks.

• Like 2