Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I don't think we should be too parochial with this. Obviously this is a GN themed thread, but if there are locos of other companies/regions which we think are the best, no apologies needed for nominating them.

Graceful has to be the GW 2800 but I would say the 2884 is better looking just from the cab perspective. However, the 47xx is the best, just beasts, especially with a Collett 4000g tender.

Connor

Edited by CCGWR

• RMweb Premium

The O2 with GN cab and tender for me. I’m not being parochial, I just love Gresley’s designs!

The O6 (how’s that for parochial!) is a pretty close second and I also love the clean lines of the Thompson O1. I must be alone in not liking the O4 - I find it looks rather old fashioned (if a steam engine can ever be modern).

Andy

• Like 1

This is a difficult one . It’s amazing that anything designed for 100% utility , not looked after , never cleaned, crusted in limescale, and generally abused, can not only still look great but so many variations can still compete for best looking.

Its almost unfair to pick one in favour of another.

I like the GWR 28xx and 47xx , but  the Stanier 8F was one of the few locos that Sir William managed to make look as good or better  than the other companies equivalents of I’ll go for that .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Attractive and graceful 2-8-0? I think these are troublesome adjactive's when applied to a 2-8-0. I rather like the look of most of Gresley's designs and the O4/5 design had an almost classical simplicity of form appropriate to its job. The S&DJR 7F design is interesting but like a big 4F really - didn't they have the same size axle journals as the 4F??

Attractive and graceful for me (and I am no fan of the GWR but clearly Churchward was one of the truly great loco engineers) is best expressed by the 28XX class with the 47XX second because the boiler looks ungainly in my view. I have rejected the 2-8-0T's as not qualifying.

Pity there is no SR contender, shame Mr Urie's 2-8-0 was not built, guess it would have been based on the S15?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure graceful comes to mind, but Dub D and 8F are pretty close, but the Dub D pips Stanier’s workhorse because of its closer wheel spacing and clean lines.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I see that during the course of today I have managed to make my 10,000th post on here. Some kind of landmark that, but I'm not quite sure what. I shan't look back to see what percentage of it has been drivel.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Very pleased you got your Ivatt Atlantic, a very attractive loco. Behind that footstep by the driving wheels is a finger width gap between the driving wheel flanges. No wonder Bachmann went for undersize wheels. I'm a Western Region modeller but I bought one of these too. And I nominate the 47XX as the most impressive 2-8-0 in Great Britain.

Bazza

I like a lot of the 2-8-0s and have models of lots of different ones including from foreign railways out west even. But we need to look to home territory, whilst I love the O4, when it comes to picking my favourite it has to be an O2, but which version?

At the end of the day I've chosen the O2/2.

Andrew