Peterborough North

great northern

The N2 was present for inspection at the Cross for the unveiling of SNG's statue and I got to "cab" her.  I had a feeling  she was cosier and  more "friendly" feeling than many larger locos. 

As a boy, I saw (and heard!) many N1s and N2s and  wanted to be an engine driver, so I found myself imagining driving her along the stretch from Stroud Green to Crouch End, maybe whistling so my Mum could hear.  So although there are other worthy contenders, it has to be the N2 for me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

The Southern E4 would run it a close second.

Indeed but perhaps not quite so elegant as the E5, with 5'6" drivers. Given that the first of these radials was actually Stroudley's effectively posthumous 158 "West Brighton", with 4'6" drivers, the fact that the four Billinton Radial classes were individually quite successful makes this a very strong blood-line. 

[When we looked at 0-6-0s, I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty, but 50 years ago colleagues would talk of the sound of one in Star Lane cutting, which must be walkable from your residence, I imagine.]

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty

Nor could I - not with two domes!

11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Star Lane cutting

Suicide Alley.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

[When we looked at 0-6-0s, I could not propose the C2x as anyone's idea of pretty, but 50 years ago colleagues would talk of the sound of one in Star Lane cutting, which must be walkable from your residence, I imagine.]

Certainly is. I'm pretty close to where the quarry line and slow line cross each other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Certainly is. I'm pretty close to where the quarry line and slow line cross each other.

My paternal grandparents lived in Church Lane Avenue, Hooley and are buried in Chipstead churchyard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Suicide Alley.

Netherne & Fairdene mental hospitals close by, not to mention the Covered Way (long since uncovered, of course!) crossing the grounds of Cane Hill! 

Coulsdon was the southern limit of my area in my Control days, 1969-73.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, great northern said:

Today, let's consider 0.6.2 tank engines. Quite a few to choose from.

N2 without a shadow of a doubt - and that's coming from a man who has a liking for the products of Swindon.

• RMweb Premium

My favourite wheel arrangement for tank engines.  N10.  Alone on that one I think, but the 'Lambton' tanks  are pretty nice too. And the N5. And...and...and...oops.  It is harder for me to think of one I don't like, then there's this.....not quite an 0-6-2T, but indescribable in the Whyte system.

syss809.jpg.ba501025f17c86426c4972beb5b80f51.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

My favourite wheel arrangement for tank engines.  N10.  Alone on that one I think, but the 'Lambton' tanks  are pretty nice too. And the N5. And...and...and...oops.  It is harder for me to think of one I don't like, then there's this.....not quite an 0-6-2T, but indescribable in the Whyte system.

syss809.jpg.ba501025f17c86426c4972beb5b80f51.jpg

When the vote gets to "other", this wins my nomination!

• Funny 3

I would say that the Billiton E4 is the probably the most attractive 0-6-2 Tank. As a Great Western fan I find it a bit challenging not to nominate a product of Swindon but I just don't think the 56xx are particularly good looking locos, probably because of the intended freight use instead of the more graceful lines of Passenger 0-6-2 Tanks.

Cheers Connor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And the result of the 0.6.2 poll is........ N2, by a short head from N1. The Southern E4/5 put together came in a close third.

We are starting to run out of further options now, I think, so it is time to consider 4.6.0s. Grace and elegance are the criteria once again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, great northern said:

And the result of the 0.6.2 poll is........ N2, by a short head from N1. The Southern E4/5 put together came in a close third.

We are starting to run out of further options now, I think, so it is time to consider 4.6.0s. Grace and elegance are the criteria once again.

Jubilee.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

By the time I saw the remaining Southern 4-6-0s they were a bit past their prime, and certainly the passenger versions - Arthurs and Nelsons - looked it. The freight fleet was in better nick - but all those big locos looked dated in comparison with Bulleid pacifics. So my nomination, rather in the mould of NHNeil and his extraordinary tank, is Drummonds T14 "Paddleboat". Lest anyone tell you that the name is Paddlebox, my reference  is Fred Tibbles, Motive Power Inspector at Ashford, Kent in the early '80s. A former footplateman, naturally, he sought to know how much I knew about South Western steam. A succession of nicknames ("Small Hopper", "Large Hopper" etc) was offered and I came up with the right official designation, but when I knew T14 - of which I think there were only 10, the last being withdrawn when I was 3 years old - he said "You do know South Western steam!" As  I've said before in these pages, you can't buy compliments like that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1