Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It is very nice to see some new contributors to the thread, who have tried to contribute to the 4.6.0 poll. I have to refer them though to the small print, very small actually, which set out the criteria needed to qualify to do so. It is clearly stated in para 98 that a probationary period of one month must be served before poll participation is permitted. Thus, for some who have promoted one particular class of locomotive, it is literally a case of "Castles in the air"

The Management.

:jester::jester::jester::D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Well, as Gilbert is always a majority of one on his own thread, we all know the B17 will win......gawky things with too-big wheels. :crazy: Personally I'd go for a GCR 'Lord Faringdon'.  The Black 5 gets a distinguished service cross though.

Ban coming up.....:whistle:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

iAnyway, what am I supposed to have done wrong?:dontknow:

Using swear words like Brancepeth and Kimbolton !

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Using swear words like Brancepeth and Kimbolton !

I can't find them in my copy of Mortimore's Guide to British Obscenities, Rob. And that of course is the classic which all other experts follow.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well, as Gilbert is always a majority of one on his own thread, we all know the B17 will win......gawky things with too-big wheels. :crazy: Personally I'd go for a GCR 'Lord Faringdon'.  The Black 5 gets a distinguished service cross though.

Ban coming up.....:whistle:

No Neil. No ban, as you are entitled to your opinion. However misguided it may be.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

I can't find them in my copy of Mortimore's Guide to British Obscenities, Rob. And that of course is the classic which all other experts follow.

Sorry to say Gilbert but Kimbolton is on my list of non RMweb words. It seemed a great idea when my mate suggested we ride from Bedford to there after all it couldn't be that far as there is a Kimbolton Road in Bedford.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've previously mentioned the GC Immingham and been reminded that the 4-6-0 equivalent to a Jersey Lily is the original B1, both of which are high on the list but I have to vote for my all-time second favourite loco, a B17 with group standard tender.

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thanks.  I think..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, what's a castle?  Bamburgh?  Alnwick?

Biggleswade? Not many people know that one......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry to say Gilbert but Kimbolton is on my list of non RMweb words. It seemed a great idea when my mate suggested we ride from Bedford to there after all it couldn't be that far as there is a Kimbolton Road in Bedford.

But did you get there? And if so, was it worth it?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, great northern said:

But did you get there? And if so, was it worth it?

We did but needed to get back as fast as we could before it was dark as we didn't have our lights with us. No, it was dark by the time we got home and I got a telling off for being so stupid as to go that far without out my lights in the dark and there was no tea for me because I was late home. Can't remember a thing about Kimbolton.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

image.png.4bf48caf976255adbcbc4e4194a901c6.png

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Take a seat Gilbert. You know my feelings.:P

22284292_Naughtychair.jpg.d72ff187be969133717eeb5af125b7fd.jpg

When he's really needed, where is the rightful owner of that seat to tell us that Bos****** is by far the best castle? 

Hat, coat, etc...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Just to be a wee bit different, Highland railway Clan or Clan Goods, not forgetting Jones Big Goods!

Roja

But surely Roja you should be correcting those who seem to support the railway at the other end of the Britain that the real Castle Class was a Highland Railway design.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But surely Roja you should be correcting those who seem to support the railway at the other end of the Britain that the real Castle Class was a Highland Railway design.

Hi Clive,

Yes I should!  I shall stand proud against the tide of the those western interlopers!

Roja

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Gilbert, thanks for reminding us that the best 4-6-0 in the country is a V2...........................................After Gresley had played with it.

manna

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The Most Elegant 4-6-0 has to be a Great Western Hall (with 4000g Collett tender) without a doubt, probably followed by a Castle. For me there are a number of better looking LNER 4-6-0s than the B17, not well proportioned with those big wheels, a Thompson B1 has a much better balance to it. A B12/3 or a GCR 4-6-0 have to be my picks for a LNER based ten wheeler.

Connor

• Like 1

Well this one is difficult as there are a lot of lovely 4-6-0s and I have models of quite a number of them.

But I need to stick with my main interest for this, the LNER, so for me it's the B4 because of its proportions and elegance and I've still got to build the one I've had for probably 20 years or more! Mind you I do like the Jubilee, Black 5, B17 and most of the ex GC  4-6-0s.

Andrew

• Like 2