Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

There was no need to rig the vote. Those who voted for the Castle were people who are already visitors to the thread. This was decided once again by an overnight vote from down under, which gave the B17 six votes to the Castle's 5. Robinson's GC 4.6.0s also deserve a mention. Generically they also got six votes, though spread across the range of classes from B2 to B7.

You may have noticed that I have expressed no personal preferences in the polls. That was because I was saving all my votes for tactical purposes. That turned out not to be necessary though.

I think we have nearly run out of possibilities now folks. I haven't dealt with E F G H I L M P Q R S T U W X Y Z in LNER classification, as there are few candidates in any of those. If you would like any of them to be included though, just tell me, and I will do it.

I have, of course, kept the best till last. Pacifics today folks. Class A. Interest from one particular area may now wane, as they only had one of them, and even they didn't think that one was much good.:mosking:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

You didn’t specify tanks or tender engines, so I’ll have one of each!

Gresley A1/A3 by a mile for the tender engine as it must be the most perfect steam engine ever designed and one of the main reasons (along with Deltics) that I’m here reading your thread rather than one from some ‘foreign’’ railway!

On the tank front, I do love all the LNER pacific tanks, but the A8 wins for me.

As for the other letters, I can see that many wouldn’t have much competition, but ‘L’ and ‘Q’ would be worthwhile. Perhaps a bit of an anticlimax though, now that we’ve had the best?

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

You didn’t specify tanks or tender engines, so I’ll have one of each!

Gresley A1/A3 by a mile for the tender engine as it must be the most perfect steam engine ever designed and one of the main reasons (along with Deltics) that I’m here reading your thread rather than one from some ‘foreign’’ railway!

On the tank front, I do love all the LNER pacific tanks, but the A8 wins for me.

As for the other letters, I can see that many wouldn’t have much competition, but ‘L’ and ‘Q’ would be worthwhile. Perhaps a bit of an anticlimax though, now that we’ve had the best?

Andy

Thanks Andy. I had a rather restless night, so am not thinking too well.  Separate votes for tender and tank engines are the way to go.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thanks Andy. I had a rather restless night, so am not thinking too well.  Separate votes for tender and tank engines are the way to go.

Clearly too much fresh air yesterday. I think you need to stick to trains!

• RMweb Premium

A pacific class loco, well it was one of a type Gresley's rebuild of Raven's "City of Ripon".

While on the subject of Gresley rebuilds of Raven engines no one mentioned the workhorse of the North East the B16 or the B16/2 or even Thompson's upgrading of his father in laws locos the B16/3. B16/2s and B16/3s look very modern until you realise that the connecting rod goes to the front Driving wheel not the middle one.

Just think what the Raven Pacifics would have looked had they been given the same front end treatment as a B16/2 and a Gresley boiler.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Definitely Gresley A1 / A3 for me; in fact I think the most elegant steam locos designed.

Although I do have a sneaking admiration for

1264692337_06901202LandauPfalz31_05_14.JPG.163898b65ec883e31b422c37d0a468cf.JPG

Pacific Tanks, that'd be A8.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Pacific tank has to be a LNWR Prince of Wales Tank.

I quite like Prince of Wales 4-6-0s as well, including the Tishys, yet another good looking 4-6-0 missed of yesterday's list in the LNER vs GWR fight.

• RMweb Premium

For the Pacific "Tender" loco, I torn three Four ways

- LNER A4 with the original valancing in Garter Blue - such as 4468.

- BR class 8P No. 71000 "Duke of Gloucester".

- SNCF (Nord) class 231E - the classic Chapeleon pacific.

- LNER A3 - It seems rude to leave this one out, as it is a very nice loco - just not quite in the same league as the other three.

If forced to just choose one it would be the Nord (dark brown) liveried version of the 231E.

For the Pacific tank loco the A5 and A8 are both very nearly there, but for me it is the LBSCR / SR Marsh Class J "Abergavenny".

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pacifics are hard, I love them all!  If I really had to choose it would be an A4 in BR Blue, closely followed by an A1 in the same livery.  Really though, I should be voting for the loco that gave its number for my forum name.  Queensland Railways had a series of Pacifics, initially home built, but a modified version, built by Vulcan Foundary in the UK was class BB18 1/4.  The last of the class, part of a second series, was built in Australia and was our Evening Star, the last steam locomotive to be built in Australia, BB18 1/4 1089.

DB6D08F5-1BDC-4630-9AC1-34DCE703E28A.jpeg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Something different which might lift spirits. This was taken in my garden the other day.It was very windy, so may look a bit blurred, but what a lovely sight.

Ceanothus. Yep, mine's looking like that, as well. Beautiful plant. Until the wind at the weekend, the Weigela was looking spectacular as well. By Monday morning the garden just looked as though we'd had pink snow!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Like 1089 above a ways, there aren't many Pacifics I don't like - just, errrr, 111.  Really badly proportioned, even for the era.  The Raven's no great looker either, it pains me to admit.  There are even narrow gauge versions that look OK, Darjeeling for instance.

But - A4 and A8 please, for the vote!

• Like 2

A3, A4 but then I also like the Bulleid variety and the Britannia's, can't decide. Trouble is I also like the pacific tanks mentioned above. Oh I'm off to stick my head in a bucket!

Martyn

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mullie said:

A3, A4 but then I also like the Bulleid variety and the Britannia's, can't decide. Trouble is I also like the pacific tanks mentioned above. Oh I'm off to stick my head in a bucket!

Martyn

There are separate votes allowed for tender and tank locos Martyn.

• Thanks 1