Peterborough North

great northern

22 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

NSW 38 class (streamlined).

Agreed, no Competition there. a C38 (streamlined) is my choice for the tender variety.

British tank wise, probably an A5.

Connor 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

In black with red striping, yum!

Anything but Grey Nurse!

Here's 3801 on test after its marathon overhaul.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A clear winner for the tender engine, the A3, with six votes. The tanks was a tie, three votes each for A5 and A8.

Well, this seems to have been a good bit of fun, with plenty of contributions, and as I haven't come up with anything to replace it yet, I'll go along with Andy's suggestion, and so today the subject will be 2.6.4 tanks. Actually, there are quite a few to choose from, aren't there?

If anyone has any ideas for something else we could deal with in the same way, I'd be grateful to hear suggestions. I've thought about things like Company architectural styles, for example, but would that engage your interest?

2-6-4 tanks..... BR Standard 4, I think.   The ex-Met L2s were a bit leggy for me and the Zeppelins were awful.

What about coaches?   Plenty to argue about there.    I think the Gresley 58' cross country stock (your engineers coach) is about the best looking stock ever built, closely followed by the NER bow ended stock.

Edited by jwealleans
Spelling.

I vote for the Stanier 2-6-4T (2 cylinder version). The Thompson L1s are a bit too chunky. The less said about the ex GC L1 the better, although I have one I was given to be rebuilt for my layout!

Andrew

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

2-6-4....easy City of Ripon going backwards.

2-6-4 tank, this is very difficult, on a good day it is a Fowler, sometimes a Stanier, sometimes a Riddles but normally a Fairburn. But today I am making a compromise and going to suggest a LMS/NCC class WT 2-6-4T. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The 9F on the coal is a splendid shot, even by PN standards. It shows the spacious nature of the layout, and the ability to reproduce realistic length trains, which not everyone can do. 

So is that a vote for "best 2-10-0" Ian?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m not generally a great fan of the BR standards from an aesthetic point of view but the 2-6-4 tank is an exception. Great performers too. So they get my vote. 

Andy

It's the "coach profile" that does that for me Andy. So, Gilbert, that's +1 for the BR Standards.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1