Peterborough North

great northern

An elegant British 0-8-0 tender locomotive? I don't think there is one. They would all universally look better as either a 2-6-0 or a 2-8-0.

Tank locos? Maunsell Z class. Honourable mention for the YEC Taurus though...

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Hang on chaps. We are still on 0.8.0s tender and tank, for the moment. You can vote on other things later.

I did, all I done was gave a list of overhead EMUs that had seen service before 1975. :dontknow:

Anyhow I think I want to change my mind on an 0-8-0 tender loco.

15 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

An elegant British 0-8-0 tender locomotive? I don't think there is one.  Much edited.

I want to change from a Class B 4 cylinder compound to a Class A three cylinder compound, lovely looking engines. They would have gone to Peterborough, the real station not to that other railway, the one crossed over the LNWR line by the river.

As to a Pre-75 overhead EMUs (I see no mention of "British" being specified), then ... the Victorian 'Tait' sets. An honourable mention for the PRR MP54.

If it really does have to be British, then as nice as those AM1s are, they are 4 rail units converted as a test, so kinda cheating. I'm going to have to go with the LB&SCR, probably the SL stock in it's original 3 car formation.

48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I want to change from a Class B 4 cylinder compound to a Class A three cylinder compound, lovely looking engines.

See this is what I mean. I go looking for pictures of LNWR Class A or LNWR Class B, and the best looking examples that turn up happen to be Google misdirecting me to LNWR Class E or F locos, which appear to be broadly similar only someone shoved a front axle on them and turned them into 2-8-0s...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Eyes down look in

L&YR Holcombe Brook units

LB&SCR South London line

LB&SCR Crystal Palace stock

MR Lancaster, Morecambe and Heysham stock

MSJ&AR LMS designed trains

LNER design Manchester-Glossop (class 506)

LNER design Liverpool St- Shenfield (class AM6/306)

BR Eastliegh Liverpool St-Southend (class AM7/307)

BR Doncaster, Fenchurch St-Shoeburyness (class AM2/302)

BR York Liverpool St- Chingford (classes AM5&8/305&308) 3 car

BR York Liverpool St- GER outer suburban (classes AM5&8/305&308) 4 car...they do look different

BR Wolverton Liverpool, Manchester and Crewe (class AM4/304)

BR/Cravens Glasgow blue trains (classes AM3&11/303 &311)

BR Euston suburban (class AM10/310)

Class 312

BR York, Liverpool St, Clacton and Walton (class AM9/309)

No contest, Cl303 Blue Trains!

Roja

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Have we partially highjacked this thread?  Sorry, Gilbert, I blame Clive!

Roja

Oi Roja

Gilbert asked me to help with overhead EMUs so I gave him a list ready for tomorrow's or what ever day Gilbert ask us which is the bestest EMU with a coat hanger on its roof.

I have been a good boy and suggested the most lovely of all the LNWR 0-8-0s which have no equals from lesser railways...had the MR had a 0-8-0 then I am sure it would be the winner.

Ah, for Gilbert, the next best looking loco, what about the best 0-10-0 tender loco in Britain.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
I put an E instead of a W, whatta mistake to make.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi Roja

Gilbert asked me to help with overhead EMUs so I gave him a list ready for tomorrow's or what ever day Gilbert ask us which is the bestest EMU with a coat hanger on its roof.

I have been a good boy and suggested the most lovely of all the LNWR 0-8-0s which have no equals from lesser railways...had the MR had a 0-8-0 then I am sure it would be the winner.

Ah, for Gilbert, the next best looking loco, what about the best 0-10-0 tender loco in Britain.

Decapod.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Have we partially highjacked this thread?  Sorry, Gilbert, I blame Clive!

Roja

No, don't do that. I asked him for suggestions for the EMU poll, but it isn't time to vote in that yet. We are still on 0.8.0s.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oi Roja

If only the Highland built an 0-8-0 or similar, though I agree about the LNWR locos. 

Roja

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 37Oban said:

If only the Highland built an 0-8-0 or similar

They nearly did... Peter Drummond did a GA drawing for one at the start of the century. It never left the drawing board, and was based on the CR one in some aspects. I did a take on it last year as a whim, using the Bachmann  LNWR chassis for ease and some hacked about GBL T9 bodies. Here it is sitting on shed at Helmsdale, ready for the next coal train south from the Brora coal mine.....

20190428_172600.jpg.b6aeb67daab3fdb9d27d141a1157d5e7.jpg

I'd forgotten to fit axleguards as can be seen .... 

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1