Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The tender engine poll was easily won by the V2 with sixteen votes, by far the most we've had for any engine. Tank engine was closer, but just won by the Standard 3MT, with V1 a close second. It would have been joined by a GW prairie, but the votes were split between big ones and little ones.

For today's poll, let's take up Peter's suggestion, and go for Garratt/articulated engines, and spread it worldwide, though of course lots of them were built here.

• RMweb Premium

I had a busy day yesterday, so missed the 2-6-2 poll which is a shame because V2’s are my second favourite steam engines, so if I’m allowed a late vote you can make it 17 for the V2. I didn’t have a strong opinion on the tank as long as it didn’t have copper on the chimney!

I like the idea of a diesel vote - you could even make it five votes for Types 1,2,3,4 & 5 to keep the competition going.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, great northern said:

For today's poll, let's take up Peter's suggestion, and go for Garratt/articulated engines, and spread it worldwide, though of course lots of them were built here.

Hmm "articulated" and "worldwide".

OK then. Harz Mallet

452859661_Alexisbad12995906.jpg.6134664bd52cc5469c4cf6c02addc08b.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Is that Alexisbad, Steve? On our tour a lady was much amused by the place name, having a nephew called Alex!

Sachsen IVk for me. 

Yes indeed Ian, Alexisbad it is, in 2007.  I think it was on some kind of special, a least we didn't travel behind it, but all the trains on the line were carrying that headboard commemorating 120 years of the Selketalbahn.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Despite the general lack of artics in the UK predisposing one towards one or other of the Big two's creations, I'm actually going to vote for the South African Railways Class GMA 4-8-2+2-8-4

Built by Beyer Peacock and shipped out to South Africa these were the mainstay of their fleet and hugely efficient engines. We never really had the train sizes, gradients and distances to justify these in the UK, but they did a sterling job in SA and other African countries.

If you accuse me of hearkening back to better days then I stand guilty!

612357965_Screenshot2020-05-19at09_49_26.png.8d9cccd9a3b0f22e62de0413b54887d3.png

2076590002_Screenshot2020-05-19at09_51_14.png.e3d9ffd8fcb9c1f74c8cf7abb560b4a2.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Articulateds are nearly as hard as Pacifics I reckon, the Algerian example mentioned earlier is right up there, Union Pacific Challengers with deflectors in two tone grey, Queensland Railways Garratt, NSWGR AD60s.  Ok a choice, South African GEAs, very well proportioned.

• Like 1

Most elegant articulated loco, and we're allowed to go worldwide?

I'm going to have to cheat and nominate two -- one Garratt and one Mallet.

First choice: QR Beyer-Garratt 4-8-2+2-8-4:
Garratt_1009_at_Ipswich.jpg

Second choice: UP Challenger 4-6-6-4:
up3977-wes1.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I had a busy day yesterday, so missed the 2-6-2 poll which is a shame because V2’s are my second favourite steam engines, so if I’m allowed a late vote you can make it 17 for the V2. I didn’t have a strong opinion on the tank as long as it didn’t have copper on the chimney!

I like the idea of a diesel vote - you could even make it five votes for Types 1,2,3,4 & 5 to keep the competition going.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I will do that as of tomorrow.

A Garrat? I would vote for NRZ (Zimbabwe) 20a class. Saw quite a lot of these in Bulawayo in 1989. That was the last time I visited a working steam shed (not a preserved railway shed). They were a bit run down then, as was the coaching stock. I have a photograph of an NRZ coach in rather dirty condition that rejoiced in the name 'Tati'.

The public timetable was interesting - it included first aid instructions! It also clearly stated, not that trains would leave and arrive at the times given, but that they would not leave or arrive BEFORE the time given.

Mentioning strange timetables reminds me of the New Zealand timetable in 1985, that included a daily train from Wellington to Gisburn. Two days a week it was described as an express - but took an hour longer.

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

I'm tempted to say Bulleid Leader just to wind folk up.....  but my vote goes for:

Ffestiniog Railway Double Fairlie. Elegant and lots of power for it's size.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Been right through the amended powerpoint sequence now, and to my great relief all appears to be OK. So now I should have only one point of reference for every train movement, whereas up to now there have been as many as nine. This is the problem when things just grow and change over a period of years, I suppose. Trains have changed fiddle yard roads, loco duties have been amended as I acquire more of them, the cassette scheme has grown a great deal, and I already had information in several different places.

So the theory is that I can now take the laptop up, plug it in, and have everything I need on one slide. We shall see what happens in practice.

• Friendly/supportive 8

G'Day Folks

I was lucky in living in South Australia in the 1960's, steam was still working, the narrow gauge line from Port Pirie to Broken Hill (about 400k's) was mostly steam worked by 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratts which I managed to photograph over a couple of years, these 400 class locos, were built in Belgium.

manna

404 at Gladstone loco1969.jpg

401 waits at Crystal Brook 1969.jpg

Garrett No 400 enters Port Pirie wit a heavy freight 1969.jpg

• Like 14