Peterborough North

great northern

Definitely the South Australian 400 Class for me. As much as I like the U1 (and my DJH model) I think garratts looks so much better with curved front and rear units. I think the 400 class was the same as the East African Railways  60 class. Here's the preserved 409 at the Australian National Railway Museum at Port Adelaide and also an old photo of the class leader No 400 at Port Pirie in 1969 taken when I was 13 .

Andrew 

1080444923_DSC_5900ps.jpg.155211e87012820d24d250d5de6f7bc7.jpg

706746498_400atPortPirieOct1969s.jpg.229ae98620e954c7a2d7073fb8a4e3ff.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Definitely the South Australian 400 Class for me. As much as I like the U1 (and my DJH model) I think garratts looks so much better with curved front and rear units. I think the 400 class was the same as the East African Railways  60 class. Here's the preserved 409 at the Australian National Railway Museum at Port Adelaide and also an old photo of the class leader No 400 at Port Pirie in 1969 taken when I was 13 .

Andrew 

1080444923_DSC_5900ps.jpg.155211e87012820d24d250d5de6f7bc7.jpg

706746498_400atPortPirieOct1969s.jpg.229ae98620e954c7a2d7073fb8a4e3ff.jpg

rtars rage same loco in all but minor details (ok gauge is different ) as the SAR one I suggested.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Poll result. A wide range of entries, the winner with four votes being those lovely Double Fairlies. U1 second, one vote behind. Some very impressive locos pictured, thanks to all who included them.

Shall we go on to diesels, as Andy suggested?  Not my area of interest or knowledge, but I believe, if we go back to homegrown types now, there were only three of them, so not much choice there.

We'll start therefore with type 2, where there are a good few to fight over. Let me know if you do want to include type 1 later though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then Gilbert you have jumped in with the hardest one for me to answer as I have enjoyed making, converting or modifying every class of type 2 locomotive.

I think I will go for a LMR based BRCW Type 2 Bo-Bo 1250 hp, know later as class 27. Please note not ScR loco with the hole below the drivers cab side window or a NER one without any means of keeping the passengers warm and that unsightly gap between the bogies where it has no water tank. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

We'll start therefore with type 2, where there are a good few to fight over. Let me know if you do want to include type 1 later though.

English Electric Type 2.

Was number 16 rostered on the Talisman. I thought I'd read somewhere (urban tale) that it was never seen south.

Please correct me as I always liked the name - though I'm trying to tell my self 19 A4's is enough.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Sulzer type 2/class 25 for me. Especially the /0, /1 and /2 sub classes.

May I change my vote please? I had a funny moment and thought the class 31 was a type 3 so actually I’d like to vote for the Brush type 2.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, davidw said:

Was number 16 rostered on the Talisman. I thought I'd read somewhere (urban tale) that it was never seen south.

Please correct me as I always liked the name - though I'm trying to tell my self 19 A4's is enough.

My recollection is that for a considerable time it was rostered to the Flying Scotsman as far as Grantham, and thus never seen south of there. That would account for the tale. By 58 though there were more Gateshead duties through to KX, and the Talisman was one of them, so I see no reason why it should not have been used on that duty. It would not have got to KX until 1040pm though, so still unlikely to have been seen by lineside observers. This was a lodging turn, and at the moment I don't know the return working the next day, but it could have been a late evening sleeper, and thus out of spotter's hours again.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, great northern said:

My recollection is that for a considerable time it was rostered to the Flying Scotsman as far as Grantham, and thus never seen south of there. That would account for the tale. By 58 though there were more Gateshead duties through to KX, and the Talisman was one of them, so I see no reason why it should not have been used on that duty. It would not have got to KX until 1040pm though, so still unlikely to have been seen by lineside observers. This was a lodging turn, and at the moment I don't know the return working the next day, but it could have been a late evening sleeper, and thus out of spotter's hours again.

Thanks for that and sharing your knowledge.

• Like 1

Hands down, the best "type 2" is the variant BRCW built for the Southern.

They took their type 2 design previously supplied as a type 2 to other regions, ripped out the steam heat boiler, fitted electric heating, looked at the empty space, added two extra cylinders, and then ended up with something which in power terms was classified as a type 3, but still in the shape/size of a type 2.

So ... that's a type 3 then. Can't have that.

Okay then, Class 21. Not the old Class 21, that was awful. I mean the *current* class 21. These are a mixture of MaK DE1004s bought new by Eurotunnel and some ex-NS 6400s (MaK DE1002s) bought second hand.

If I can't have that either ('type 2' implies a certain age as well as form factor and power rating), then I'll nominate the Brush effort. The version retro-fitted with the EE engine, and with a headcode box, but not fitted with ETH.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

BRCW Type 26 - a truly regional loco - also ran out of KX in the early diesel days as I discovered after looking at another thread!

But only for a very short period of time, Peter. I well remember that on our annual treat to London, one summer was full of D5300s, but by the next there were none, and it was wall to wall Brush type 2s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

May I change my vote please? I had a funny moment and thought the class 31 was a type 3 so actually I’d like to vote for the Brush type 2.

Hi James

A few were, and D5835 was a type 4. They had their Mirrlees engines uprated. Off the top of my head I am not sure if they were derated before being fitted with English Electric engines.

I scratchbuilt a Brush type 2 and numbered it D5835. At a show this chap told me that it should have large grilles at each end owing to its uprated engine. The two photos of it didn't show these grilles. I later found a photo of 31 302 as it had become.....it had the extra grilles as the bloke had pointed out. So my handmade effort was renumbered and I attacked a Tri-ang loco adding the grilles to both sides. Much later on I found out why my earlier photos hadn't shown the extra grilles. They are only fitted to one side. Ho hum.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

BRCW Type 26 - a truly regional loco - also ran out of KX in the early diesel days as I discovered after looking at another thread!

Hi Peter

The class 26 were used for a short time on the outer suburban services from the cross but moved to Scotland very early on and joined the rest of the class there. The higher powered class 27 version (the one with the headcode box) were allocated when new to the ScR, ex NBR and GSWR lines, the NER working on Teeside mainly and the ex MR lines of the LMR but by the early 70s these were also all in Scotland. The LMR allocation were the most widely travelled, the could be seen from Gloucester to March and from Sheffield to Norwood on the SR.

• Informative/Useful 1