Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just to show that I am paying attention: those vans are on the Down Goods

Indeed they are. I forgot there was a trip working waiting there. That's why it looked better . Dammit, can't reproduce that all the time, can I?

• RMweb Premium

Late tea break today. Our first sightof the new day at PN is of a B17 in the bay, waiting for the Glasgow-Colchester. The driver has parked further back than usual for some reason. So, off we go again. The sun has risen in the west again, by the way, but the residents of Peterborough have got used to that by now.

1320758798_116531.JPG.3f72f4082fedbdf763d962fbb47d0775.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Vos is zis Bagpipe, please?

Bagpipes, something the Irish gave the Scots but the Scots have never got the joke.

In railway terms a Bagpiped Crompton (class 33/1) is one fitted with high level brake and control pipes so it can power a 4TC unit or two with the driver at the far end of the train and the loco pushing at the back. Diesel push pull. It was necessary as the SR ran out of money to do the last bit of electrocution to Weymouth so a 4 REPs powered a 12 car train (4 REP+4TC+4TC) to Bournemouth. The REP was taken off and a 33/1 attached for the last part of the journey.  Even after the 3rd rail was extended to Weymouth the trains had to be divided at Bournemouth because there wasn't enough power for a full length train.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, great northern said:

Vos is zis Bagpipe, please?

17 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Bagpipes, something the Irish gave the Scots but the Scots have never got the joke.

In railway terms a Bagpiped Crompton (class 33/1) is one fitted with high level brake and control pipes so it can power a 4TC unit or two with the driver at the far end of the train and the loco pushing at the back. Diesel push pull. It was necessary as the SR ran out of money to do the last bit of electrocution to Weymouth so a 4 REPs powered a 12 car train (4 REP+4TC+4TC) to Bournemouth. The REP was taken off and a 33/1 attached for the last part of the journey.  Even after the 3rd rail was extended to Weymouth the trains had to be divided at Bournemouth because there wasn't enough power for a full length train.

Thanks Clive - I shouldn't have expected Gilbert to know that! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Did the Fireman not observe Rule 55?   Sack him.

Can't do that Jonathan. There are far too few of them as it is. I may get round to doing something about that. On the other hand, I may not. Figures are very fiddly when it comes to painting them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hymek (class 35) for me please, a very pleasing shape, they sounded good and often took me to work. Also had an official cab ride from Oxford to Paddington which included an unofficial drive from Reading to approaching Slough. Almost as exciting as the previous footplate ride on  a Castle from Padd to Oxford!

Could never understand why 101 were ordered unless someone thought that 0 to 100 was 100 units?

Bazza

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, great northern said:

Afternoon image shows A1 Sir Walter Scott running in with the Glasgow-Colchester.

1796438696_21431.JPG.f7dcb6ec7aef0796bf93c8b2ae2a33f3.JPG

It really is amazing. I specifically looked at those lamps, and decided they were OK. The camera thinks otherwise.

Today's truly shocking news is that I seem to have more locomotives than duties for them to perform.

I know the feeling, do I need a Baby Deltic for a layout that is supposed to be in Sheffield let alone 17 or so?

Never mind should one breakdown you know you have a spare.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know the feeling, do I need a Baby Deltic for a layout that is supposed to be in Sheffield let alone 17 or so?

Never mind should one breakdown you know you have a spare.

I'll give you seventeen out of ten for that information Clive.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for the class 33 from me. Grew up in south London at the time they were introduced so often saw them brand new. First in service in early 1960 a month before my 15th birthday with O-levels still more than a year away. Today I've just passed 75 and a few of them are still in service plus plenty preserved.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RFS said:

Another vote for the class 33 from me. Grew up in south London at the time they were introduced so often saw them brand new. First in service in early 1960 a month before my 15th birthday with O-levels still more than a year away. Today I've just passed 75 and a few of them are still in service plus plenty preserved.

A bit like most of us on here then!

Original Class 37 with Split Headcode Boxes, Small Yellow Panel as was seen pulling the Master Cutler from Sheffield to Kings Cross in the good old days.

Gilbert, you need cover for locomotives Having Boiler washouts, stopped for repairs away at Works plus umpteen other eventualities.

You know it makes sense.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Type 3s are all lovely. Hymeks are right up there, I grew up with Cromptons and love them dearly, but I spent much of my youth chasing 37s all over the country so it has to be one of them. They're all lovely, but if I have to chose a sub class then a 37/0 with split headcode boxes in green. I think offering people sub classes is biasing the vote against 37s as 'we' have so many compared to Cromptons and Hymeks. I think you should choose the main class first and then award the sub class as a follow up.

Andy

• Agree 1