Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The most interesting poll count yet, possibly because there were few contending classes. I took the point about the Class 37 vote being split between the many varieties, and so did a separate count for each sub class, as well as an overall total.

The overall result is Class 37 16, Class 33 7 and Hymek 5. Among the Class 37 votes though there were 9 for Class 37/0, more than for the other classes, so Class 37/0 is the clear winner.

Today, you can have a lot of fun with Type 4. I did consider splitting it into passenger and freight classes, but I think the distinction is too blurred really.

• Like 3

Type 4? Most of the older type 4's don't appeal to me at all, but the 43 class (HST) power cars were classed as separate locos, and I don't think they have any competition for looks, so my vote is class 43 HST power car.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, great northern said:

The most interesting poll count yet, possibly because there were few contending classes. I took the point about the Class 37 vote being split between the many varieties, and so did a separate count for each sub class, as well as an overall total.

The overall result is Class 37 16, Class 33 7 and Hymek 5. Among the Class 37 votes though there were 9 for Class 37/0, more than for the other classes, so Class 37/0 is the clear winner.

Today, you can have a lot of fun with Type 4. I did consider splitting it into passenger and freight classes, but I think the distinction is too blurred really.

Wot about my vote for the LMS twins? :nono:

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wot about my vote for the LMS twins? :nono:

It was a lonely vote Clive, all on its own.:sad_mini2: I did begin to suspect at one time that you were deliberately choosing the least likely things in all of the polls, but you wouldn't do that, would you? It gave me much innocent amusement, anyway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Type 4? Well seeing the answers so far some of you will need to give your guide dog a good telling off for poor advice.

It has to be a Crompton, no not a class 33, a proper Crompton what in decimal currency is called a Class 45. I would be happy if it was included in the generic group of classes called the Peaks. 

Class 44 ...Peaks

Class 46 ...Brushes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Type 4 is really difficult. With Westerns, Brush type 4, EE type 4 and 'Peaks' all in contention, it's a hard choice but much as I love the others I'm going with Brush type 4. They never looked better than in the original two tone green, sleek, unfussy but really harmonious design yadda yadda.

Brush type 4,

Cheers all

Alastair

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmmm. Type 4s. Quite a variety of those, unfortunately quite a few that are as ugly as sin, or simply have way too many wheels for their own good...

I'm going to have to go with a Class 50 on this one. There's something about one that Class 47s (my second place pick) don't have.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, David Bell said:

We should finish off this diesel vote with the early prototypes, could include Lion, Falcon, DP2, Deltic, Fell, amongst others,and Clive could vote for the LMS twins again!

That's a very good idea, thank you. We will do that.

• RMweb Premium

It has to be a class 40 for me. Mainly for their sound which is difficult to beat although I’m not sure whether one can have ‘graceful’ sound. Second place would be the Warships, but I never really knew them in service.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A difficult one for me. Has to be either D8XX Warship or Western. I have fond memories of both.

I'm going to plump for the Western. It was the more successful design and I bought myself a driving experience on Courier at the SVR for my 60th.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another suggestion for a poll. How about 'The design which stood the test of time'?

For instance I would have a difficult time choosing between the A3, a GW Castle or the HST...

• Like 1