Peterborough North

great northern

Thread diversion - someone said, I think it was Derek, that 4472 had been hauling passengers up and down the ECML since 1923.    That struck a chord and reminded me of these two photos which it's taken me until today to locate.  The first was taken by my grandfather in the late 1930s, probably 1935 or 36.  Frustratingly it's cut off the end of the number, but it can only be one of Neptune or Triton, the two engines on the North Bay Railway in Scarborough.

spacer.png

Here, with a 50% chance it's the self same engine, is Mrs. W in the cab in 2018.  Now I know they've been rebuilt and there have been intervals when one or other was out of service, but I'd bet if you counted up days in work they'd be ahead of 4472. 

spacer.png

I almost suggested these as the longest serving diesels too.  88 and 89 years and counting.

There's an idea for you Gilbert - narrow gauge, railways or locomotives.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 14

Why is it that I invariably type iamge instead of image, amd waht instead of what?  I have just had to concentrate hard to make sure that I typed them incorrectly.

Gilbert

I find that sometimes. I think that my keyboard must have Dyslexia.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, great northern said:

Why is it that I invariably type iamge instead of image, amd waht instead of what?  I have just had to concentrate hard to make sure that I typed them incorrectly.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

You may well find that your PC allows you to set-up auto-correction of spelling. If so, try putting in your usual errors, with the correct versions as replacements. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

You may well find that your PC allows you to set-up auto-correction of spelling. If so, try putting in your usual errors, with the correct versions as replacements. 

Ian I think your suggestion is a good one, however i found that the latest version of  iOS is putting in all sorts of odd corrections when I send text messages on my phone - it randomly comes up with all sorts of garbage and keeps adding NBC to my texts

I find that care with typing tends to be the best solution!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

"The most attractive design of diesel prototype, perhaps with innovative features thrown in. Some of them didn't work, and others didn't lead to anything further, but that is irrelevant here. The most striking and innovative please"

If it's diesel protoypes.... Kestrel.

Electrics... Avocet

Gas Turbines... GT3.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Shock news.:o The favourite is beaten. Kestrel beats Deltic by 8 votes to 6.

Today I will adopt Jonathan's suggestion, and we will go for the most attractive narrow gauge locomotive. I know we've already done Garratts and articulated, but that deprives a host of lovely little engines of their chance to shine.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I assume through the villages such as Long Clawson or is it Zoom down A46,then A606 into Melton. I know which I prefer :D

Safe Journey.

Langar, Harby, Hose, Scalford. That was the way I always used to go when I was prosecuting miscreants in Melton.

I’ve never been a fan of narrow gauge engines. They often look too mis-proportioned to me but the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch engines have always looked quite good IMO so I’ll vote for Samson in its lovely Prussian blue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for the RhB G4/5.

First we see the model in the garden - last month:

P1080484.jpg.fc89311bf2da6c65562b8785df496d78.jpg

Then the real thing on Wiesen Viaduct in January 2011:

P1000822.JPG.c80354af50239654ede49b0d922d60a8.JPG

Or, as I particularly like these locos, we can have two Garden size models - one steam the other electric - in the garden last August. Unfortunately the steam one was only visiting!

P1080388.jpg.99c5bf7cf10837833146a89d8e16801c.jpg

Regards

Chris H

• Like 7