Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Wot - Like this?

P1080475.jpg.4d0264a9832fd21b2bb6da32394e2afd.jpg

I once had a short cab ride in a real one from Samedan to Pontresina, it were marvellous.

I will now desist from digressing quite so much from Grandfather's work place - quite a few years at Peterborough "North Box", but he retired from "Westwood Box"

Regards

Chris H

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Trains are running, and in complete contrast to yesterday, no problems at all so far. Tea is being consumed, and an excursion to Hunstanton is at Platform 6. It started from East, so it has a GE section loco. Why from March though?  Spital Bridge must be a bit short.  At least someone remembered that the B17 must have a short tender, otherwise there will be turntable problems at the other end.

8_1630.JPG.d34fe8d7ae4daab1a4edb33419d94cd2.JPG

Gilbert,

I’m puzzled by this excursion to Hunstanton.  If it’s booked to run via Sutton Bridge and South Lynn, the B17 is barred in 1958.  Route from Sutton Bridge to South Lynn was RA4 by then.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

I’m puzzled by this excursion to Hunstanton.  If it’s booked to run via Sutton Bridge and South Lynn, the B17 is barred in 1958.  Route from Sutton Bridge to South Lynn was RA4 by then.

Paul

Oops, wrong excursion! The B17 should be on one to Skeggy, which leaves a bit later. This one of course should have an Ivatt 4. Someone will get a telling off.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

She could have been buying for a care home - or not !

John Isherwood.

My money is on not. I'd have thought a care home, which has vulnerable people, would have priority slots for delivery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Have I missed the poll for narrow gauge locos?  VERY difficult to choose, there being so many contenders, but I think I'll join the votes for the Rhaetische Bahn's Krokodil, having enjoyed several rides between Davos and Filisur behind one the last couple of summers (and was hoping to again this summer).  I did vote for it before under 'articulated locos', so maybe second time lucky!

P1020896.jpg

• Like 5

Favourite narrow gauge loco.

As much as I have fond memories of QR 2300s rumbling back and forth, they really aren't lookers. And we're doing this by looks.

So I've got to hand it to the QR 1250 class. I've only ever seen one, and it's a museum piece. But there's just something about the way that sunvisor sits that looks amazing...

1262_Workshops_Rail_Museum.JPG

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

.... there's just something about the way that sunvisor sits that looks amazing...

My Dad had a Ford Consul which was fitted with a similar sun visor - in the 1960s, it spoke of exotic, hot places ....... !

..... but it only ever got as far south as Cornwall. :sad_mini2:

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

G'Day Folks

For  narrow gauge, 3'6" is narrow enough for me, I'll plump for a SAR T class,4-8-0. Nice engines, rugged and popular, I also like the fact that the tender is bigger than the loco.

manna

T 253, with clag, Cockburn 1969.jpg

T 185 at Peterborough 1969.jpg

• Like 10

On a further antipodean note there is no finer example of compact power than the New Zealand Railways K class 4-8-4 of 1932-on, a few preserved and still running.

Here is a photo taken by my father in 1936 on the 1-in-37 grade leaving Wellington, with the 3pm 15-total Auckland express.  I coloured the photo.   55mph with 400-ton express trains was the design brief,  or unassisted on 1-in-50 with similar loads.

1076314748_626_K_Ab_auckland_express_near_ngaio_6ab_r1800.jpg.f8020f121b0adeabdf345131387eb4af.jpg

I have a 1:64 scale version in brass, made by Ajin of Korea.

944_NZR_Ka_class_3ab_r1500.jpg.1df2d7554433db7184afb4a5ea625f1a.jpg

Photos edited, but nothing radical. Will remove if asked. 

I spent much of my youth travelling behind and (rarely) on these engines, 14-ton axle loads, over 31,000 lbs tractive effort, sometimes timed at 70mph.

I suspect beauty is in the eyes of the beholder when Britain was producing such as these...

again, edited... but a tad closer to Peterborough North.   Will remove if requested. 

19_A4_Image10_4abcd_r1800.jpg.2a9e839d313b16df7f156999be3ac798.jpg

No contest really.   4500 'Garganey' soon to be renamed 'Sir Ronald Mathews' eventually BR 60001, withdrawn 10/1964. From the Hornby 'Queen of Scots' pack. Lovely.

Edited by robmcg
foolishness
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Today's poll winner is the Krokodil with 5 votes.  Personally, I would call that striking, rather than attractive, but there we are.

Next poll. We've done the good, will skip the bad, at least for a while, and move on to the ugly. Limiting to the UK for a while, as the continentals were much better at it than us, what do you consider to be the ugliest British steam loco design ever?  I think Clive may have given us one or two sneak previews already.:jester:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

Morning pictures show more angles on 60149's progress towards Spital Bridge. I hope you like them, as the contortions my body had to put up with to get them were considerable.

1418989930_12149bridge2.JPG.97766d7fec0e23113f9f6418aa4b7af1.JPG

2053547998_12a149bridge3.JPG.ace7fd8ff798f448630b2704e2e3d8a1.JPG

Should I abandon attempts to get that last angle? I think this is better than previous attempts, but I'm still not convinced.

Need to get that camera that can be controlled via WiFi!!

Saves all those contortions!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, great northern said:

Today's poll winner is the Krokodil with 5 votes.  Personally, I would call that striking, rather than attractive, but there we are.

Next poll. We've done the good, will skip the bad, at least for a while, and move on to the ugly. Limiting to the UK for a while, as the continentals were much better at it than us, what do you consider to be the ugliest British steam loco design ever?  I think Clive may have given us one or two sneak previews already.:jester:

The Kitson-Still locomotive.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/kitson/kitsonst.htm

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That isn't ugly it is pure engineering beauty on wheels.

Suppose I better think of an ugly loco, now some would say I am using my wooden spoon to stir up fans of this railway but who could ever say the GWR 2602 class was anything but ugly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1