Peterborough North

great northern

On 26/05/2020 at 18:44, jwealleans said:

Thread diversion - someone said, I think it was Derek, that 4472 had been hauling passengers up and down the ECML since 1923.    That struck a chord and reminded me of these two photos which it's taken me until today to locate.  The first was taken by my grandfather in the late 1930s, probably 1935 or 36.  Frustratingly it's cut off the end of the number, but it can only be one of Neptune or Triton, the two engines on the North Bay Railway in Scarborough.

spacer.png

Here, with a 50% chance it's the self same engine, is Mrs. W in the cab in 2018.  Now I know they've been rebuilt and there have been intervals when one or other was out of service, but I'd bet if you counted up days in work they'd be ahead of 4472. 

spacer.png

I almost suggested these as the longest serving diesels too.  88 and 89 years and counting.

There's an idea for you Gilbert - narrow gauge, railways or locomotives.

Even more impressive is the amount of miles/years the Gresley esque locomotives have clocked up on the RH&DR.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

Morning pictures show more angles on 60149's progress towards Spital Bridge. I hope you like them, as the contortions my body had to put up with to get them were considerable.

1418989930_12149bridge2.JPG.97766d7fec0e23113f9f6418aa4b7af1.JPG

2053547998_12a149bridge3.JPG.ace7fd8ff798f448630b2704e2e3d8a1.JPG

Should I abandon attempts to get that last angle? I think this is better than previous attempts, but I'm still not convinced.

I like the second shot for a change of perspective. But the first is my favourite viewpoint for PN.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just realised why Gilbert is so keen on all these polls. He wants to get the post count up because someone's bet him that he won't get to 1,000 pages by the end of May...

• Funny 4

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've just realised why Gilbert is so keen on all these polls. He wants to get the post count up because someone's bet him that he won't get to 1,000 pages by the end of May...

Well I don't mind supporting him - does this count btw?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

The GWR Kruger, 2602 class locos looked like Dukedogs on steroids.

Anyhow Duke is a lovely dog.

002.jpg.61da2707e248fff9ff22213c37a881e4.jpg

We had a lady one of those years back. She ate my telephone directory. In fact she ate just about anything she could find. Lovely natured animal though, bless her.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Never entered my head guv, honest it didn't. Seriously, the way things have taken off since lockdown started has amazed me. I'm not a betting man, by the way. When I did try it many years ago I soon realised I wasn't very good at it. And when my mother won quite a bit on a horse that came in third in the Grand National at odds of 66/1, that was the final straw. Why did she back it? It only had one eye, and so she felt sorry for it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I am now not a very happy bunny.:sad_mini2: I just checked my start time for this afternoon's golf, and my name isn't there. Rang up to complain, to be told I had booked for yesterday.:senile: So now I've got a black mark for a no show, and no game today on the most glorious afternoon. I knew I couldn't play yesterday, so that's why I chose today, but in my haste I obviously managed to click on the wrong box. We have nearly 1000 people competing for 172 slots perday, so one has to be very quick off the mark when booking opens, but haste isn't really an excuse for ineptitude.

Now I'm really unsettled, and can't find any enthusiasm for doing anything for the rest of the day.

• Friendly/supportive 11

Quick and easy answer for that one Gilbert! 

go out into the garden, choose the furthest away bit of your lawn and the back door that you can, and dig a hole about 3 inches across and perfectly round.

Insert an empty baked bean tin, make good the holes around the tin, then go back and use it as a practice hold to get some time in on your short game. 

After doing that all afternoon, you will have reminded yourself of the total frustration it is known as golf, part of which includes booking yourself in on the wrong day!

Simples!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Quick and easy answer for that one Gilbert! 

go out into the garden, choose the furthest away bit of your lawn and the back door that you can, and dig a hole about 3 inches across and perfectly round.

Insert an empty baked bean tin, make good the holes around the tin, then go back and use it as a practice hold to get some time in on your short game. 

After doing that all afternoon, you will have reminded yourself of the total frustration it is known as golf, part of which includes booking yourself in on the wrong day!

Simples!

I'm afraid not Peter. I have two important things missing from that scenario. Number one is that I have no lawn, and number two is that I have no short game.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1