Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Ugly? It's got to be this:

I was going to add a little personal story about the Leader but things were happening here - the Good Lady's 60th - so I had to post quickly.

My Dad had a friend who, like he, had served in Burma during WW2. When Dad's pal came home - he'd been a Chindit I believe - he found a job on the footplate at Eastleigh. He recalled to me that he had fired the Leader and that it was *really* hot. Now this man had got used to the heat in Burma and was also accustomed to Bulleid Pacifics so if he said it was hot, I reckon that most normal folk would have found it unbearable.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Morning pictures show more angles on 60149's progress towards Spital Bridge. I hope you like them, as the contortions my body had to put up with to get them were considerable.

1418989930_12149bridge2.JPG.97766d7fec0e23113f9f6418aa4b7af1.JPG

2053547998_12a149bridge3.JPG.ace7fd8ff798f448630b2704e2e3d8a1.JPG

Should I abandon attempts to get that last angle? I think this is better than previous attempts, but I'm still not convinced.

No carry on trying Gilbert.  I can’t remember many shots that show the depth of the layout as well as those. The problem that most  modellers suffer from is lack of width of the the layout. You are fortunate in being able to get yards and other parts of the railway scene in the back ground and it gives these shots a great sense of authenticity.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to do with trains, but a lovely sight in my garden which you may enjoy as I do.

1734010359_2peonies2.JPG.d0eb762f1107ecc3d2e8eb9690a4f382.JPG

Can anyone tell me why, when I have reduced this to 6kb, and try to add another also reduced to that size, that I'm exceeding 10mb? And when at full size they were exactly the same size as the ones I take of the railway, which always get accepted?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Peonies Peter.

All those years watching Monty, Rachel and Alan, and the boy's learned nothing - must be getting old - we even have some ni our garden, but not as floribundant as yours!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

All those years watching Monty, Rachel and Alan, and the boy's learned nothing - must be getting old - we even have some ni our garden, but not as floribundant as yours!

It has really taken off this year Peter, over thirty buds on it, and no lousy weather to destroy it all, as happened last year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, Gilbert, I’ve noticed strange things going on with the internet today. The latest is that Google Photos is behaving strangely. There may be a bigger problem than RMWeb. I guess time will tell.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Now you have almost reached 1000 pages, perhaps you ought to check with Andy York that there is no charge for a super size thread!

Congratulations in advance for a very significant achievement and thanks for all the extra entertainment during the lockdown.

Bazza

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Well I don't mind supporting him  once more...

Me neither, we will get through this last page in no time! Here is a picture to take us further down the page, taken at Rogart in May 2019

20190511_193048.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Definitely strange things happening with the internet. My last post has a sentence in completely the wrong place, and straight afterwards there was a short loss of connection altogether.

However, it is back now, and so the poll result can be given. There were a number of suggestions, just showing how our individual perceptions differ, but I have to announce that the poor Southern Q1 got twice as many votes as anything else, 6 in all. At least I assume it was the Southern one people were voting for, rather than Mr Thompson's effort.

There were also some mentions of dodgy attempts at streamlining, so we shall have that as the theme of today's poll. Votes please for the best and worst looking  streamlined steam locomotives, and we will extend this world wide again. Once more aesthetics matter,  rather than success or otherwise of the design in doing what it was supposed to do.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are you stretching "streamlining" to include "air-smoothing"? The two are not the same... :) 

If so:  Best - either variety of Spam can.  Worst - streamlined "King" as mentioned previously...