Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Well, there we are, 1000 pages of something or other, and solely because of the interest, support and encouragement which I have had from so many people since day one of the thread. Some of you have been visiting for the whole of that time, which is, by the way, almost ten years. Many thanks for making this an enjoyable experience for me, and for keeping me committed to getting on with things. Some things, anyway. The ten year anniversary will need to be marked in some way when it arrives, which will be on 13th July. It will have to be a virtual something or other, no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

Where does the steam come out of that Clive? :jester:

Oh its kettles....

Bestest has gotta be a Pennsy T1

T1_color_photo.jpg

Worse.....one of Mr Collets pair, closely followed by a the Princess Coronation class 7P 4-6-2......now out of the condom they looked great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

I did specify steam locomotives Andy. Would you like to have another go?

Missed that but they do smoke like a steam loco so perhaps they could be considered as honorary entrants?!

If not then I suppose I’ll go for an A4 on one of the streamliners. 

The best looking streamlined has to the NSWGR 38 Class (the first 5) although different articles report them as "semi streamlined" beautiful locomotive equalled in its performance. 3801 has just been rebuilt and looking fabulous. 

Congrats on the 1000 pages Gilbert. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mullie said:

Congratulations on a 1000 pages, still look forward to my daily fix, the garden pictures are great too.

Sorry don't get the fascination with golf?

Martyn

It's one of those things that either really gets to you, or just leaves you cold. I've been doing it for 57 years, so it must be the former in my case.

G'Day Folks

Congratulations are in order on 1,000 pages of excellence, so much hard work by Gilbert. Thank you.

Best looking streamliner, got to be an A4, But....The South Australian 520 class, based on the Pennsy T1, to me looks better than the T1. Here's one 50 years ago.

manna

520 class 526 at Aldgate 1969.jpg

Edited by manna
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Market65 said:

Well, for myself the A4 is the best streamlined steam engine, with those Collet efforts of the GWR easily the worst.

Rob.

Amen to that, and you won't be alone.

Which brings us to the worst livery applied to steam up until say 1968?

I had thought the experimental blue of 1948-51 applied to five BR A4s was pretty dire until I bought the current Hornby version , being 60028 'Walter K. Whigham' which ran non-stop Edinburgh-King's Cross in August 1948 via the Waverley, and thus passed through Peterborough North, which renders it almost but not quite relevant to the thread.

Thankyou Gilbert for your beautiful model of the station and great photos.

photo below edited, I will restrain myself henceforth.

60028_A4_Image10_3abcdefg_r1800a.jpg.f1dbec23d57ebbe6f56f5238a37b72be.jpg

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Amen to that, and you won't be alone.

Which brings us to the worst livery applied to steam up until say 1968?

I had thought the experimental blue of 1948-51 applied to five BR A4s was pretty dire until I bought the current Hornby version , being 60028 'Walter K. Whigham' which ran non-stop Edinburgh-King's Cross in August 1948 via the Waverley, and thus passed through Peterborough North, which renders it almost but not quite relevant to the thread.

Thankyou Gilbert for your beautiful model of the station and great photos.

photo below edited, I will restrain myself henceforth.

60028_A4_Image10_3abcdefg_r1800a.jpg.f1dbec23d57ebbe6f56f5238a37b72be.jpg

It’s very pretty Rob, but is it the right colour? I thought BR blue was close to GER  blues which was close to Navy?

47 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

It’s very pretty Rob, but is it the right colour? I thought BR blue was close to GER  blues which was close to Navy?

It's the early BR 'Experimental Blue' worn by 60024,7,8, and one or two others and sometimes called purple, until replaced by 'ordinary' BR Blue', or Brunswick Green c1950-on.  Hornby have modelled 60027 and 8 in 'experimental' blue which is not very pretty to most people and didn't last long in prototype service without fading and the deprecations of post-war maintenance.  I haven't changed the Hornby colour and used natural window light for my pic.

It's a bit off thread though and is no doubt discussed elsewhere as in a relevant Hornby product thread. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/154475-br-a4-experimental-blue-1948-51/

We must not veer from the Peterborough North c1958 subject too much!

Edited by robmcg
typo

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Congratulations are in order on 1,000 pages of excellence, so much hard work by Gilbert. Thank you.

Best looking streamliner, got to be an A4, But....The South Australian 520 class, based on the Pennsy T1, to me looks better than the T1. Here's one 50 years ago.

manna

520 class 526 at Aldgate 1969.jpg

I was going to vote for that too but decided that the original PRR T1 just edged it. Funny how we each see things different ways!

• Like 1

Manna beat me to it. I love our South Australian Railways 520 Class. These are far better looking locos than the Pennsy T1 which is too bulky. The second series 520 (523-531) were better looking than the first three in the class (520-522) IMHO.

Here is 521 taken by my father in 1966.

101149520_521atBridgewater5-66cropped.jpg.26301176720950a960bd6d1244b4ba4f.jpg

Here's 526 taken by Phil Butler in 1970 about 12 months before she was most unfortunately scrapped. We do still have two of these, 520 is currently being restored back to working order and 523 is in the National Railway Museum at Port Adelaide.

2050421409_526MileEnd1970cropped.jpg.b4fd8b1cb78a78f466b34a2dbde9c855.jpg

But at the end of the day the A4 wins the streamlined category on looks in my view.

Congratulations Gilbert on 1000+ pages.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
minor edit
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1