Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

We were promised a coach poll. Is that still happening?

Yes indeed, and I shall discuss with you in advance how we do it. For the time being though, there are still one or two more loco based ones to come.

• RMweb Premium

Still plenty of interest in the polls, and very few dissenting views, so I'll carry on with them while I can keep thinking of new subjects. The 0.6.0 poll resulted in a tie. Votes were widely spread, ten candidates in all, but the J15 and 4F finished with 4 each.

Today, mixed traffic 4.6.0s. Every railway had them, but which was the most efficient, versatile, and stood the test of time?

As much as I love a number of the LNER 4-6-0s. For a mixed traffic loco it has to be the Black 5 for me. Despite being mostly an LNER modeller I've got four Black 5s with one more to build one day.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today, mixed traffic 4.6.0s. Every railway had them, but which was the most efficient, versatile, and stood the test of time?

Stanier Black 5.

• Agree 1

On 28/05/2020 at 12:19, bigwordsmith said:

Well I don't mind supporting him - does this count btw?

Much as I love the B1, I'm afraid I'm going to go for the black five.

Apart from being one of the most prolific and versatile MT designs, 90% of the DNA of the Riddles version comes straight from Stanier's creation.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose the LMS Class 5 is the obvious one given the criteria, but since they did the same kind of work for longer I'd vote for the North Eastern's 4-6-0 (LNER B16) - also looked good, as well!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 31A said:

I suppose the LMS Class 5 is the obvious one given the criteria, but since they did the same kind of work for longer I'd vote for the North Eastern's 4-6-0 (LNER B16) - also looked good, as well!

Hi Steve

I thought it was 2 cylinder 4-6-0 mixed traffic locos, so didn't suggest a nice B16/3 as they had a middle one. I re-read Gilbert's criteria and I assumed it was two cylinder, what a pillock. Still sticking with Mr Riddles improved Black Five. 

Just waiting for those who like trains south of the Thames to wake up suggesting S15s and H15s, what ever they are.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, cb900f said:

Black 5 from me, did everything that was asked of it and more.

Pete

A vote for them from me too, not least because several still are (or again will be post lockdown) doing it daily on heritage lines and mainline rail tours.

I will vote for a B12, long lived and there are photos of them on various types of traffic. They may not have been technically mixed traffic but seem to have been used that way when required especially when moved to more rural sheds in the 50s. They also pulled ambulance trains during the wars because their light axle loading made them a 'really useful engine.'

The black five will probably romp away with it anyway!

Martyn

• Like 1