Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, great northern said:

Mid morning picture is one I rather like. It features that very smart KX B1, heading to Hull with fish empties.

956999794_11200.JPG.bd1b0107998872c6d2c3db8aa7c4debf.JPG

I can't remember if I zoomed this or just did a heavy crop, but, together with the BG on the left concentrating the eye on the loco, I reckon it works well. I even remembered to put some better lamps on as well.

Stop trying to influence the vote with sexy pictures.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

The mixed traffic 4-6-0 I'm afraid has to be the Stanier Black 5 - the natural child of a very good parent - the GWR "Hall". Not sure which was the longest lived, but the Hall's route availability was compromised by the width over the cylinders - so the "Black 5" just scraped in.

regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great northern said:

Today, mixed traffic 4.6.0s. Every railway had them, but which was the most efficient, versatile, and stood the test of time?

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just waiting for those who like trains south of the Thames to wake up suggesting S15s and H15s, what ever they are.

Much as I prefer trains south of the Thames (and without excessive copper/brass "bling"),  it's impossible to argue against a Black 5 given Gilbert's criteria...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Stop trying to influence the vote with sexy pictures.

But this is not about looks now, we've done that. I really like B1s, but have to remind myself that  they became very rough riding when they had been out of shops for some time, and so were neither pleasant for crews, or in some cases fit for higher speed passenger trains. If there are other mixed traffic 4.6.0s which didn't have this problem, I feel that might influence my choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My late uncle (actually my dad's cousin) was a very senior man at Crewe, and when I was about twelve, he took me to Dalry Road, where there were Black 5s galore - his comment that day was "there's one thing better than one of these Hikers (a Scottish nickname for them) is two of them.  He also had the honour of having to put a Black 5 on the Royal Scot to cover a failed Class 40 English Electric Type 4, and the event was also photographed by the brilliant railwayman/photographer, Ron Herbert in one of his books "The Working Railway" Vols 1 and 2.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

With our tea this afternoon, we can have another look at that B1, this time from Spital Bridge.

1759479689_21200bridge.JPG.98e156647c5ae06d335ca8dd09801138.JPG

I was trying to convey the length of the train, but still couldn't get it all in.

Hi Gilbert

That helps with showing it is a very long train, how many photos of real long trains do you see both the driver and the guard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

That helps with showing it is a very long train, how many photos of real long trains do you see both the driver and the guard?

That's a very good point Clive. I guess I've just got a bit obsessive about it, and lost touch with reality......again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

If there was one poll which was a foregone conclusion, this was it.  The Black 5 got 15 votes, and nothing else more than three. Still, it would surely be wrong to not do the poll just because there happened to be a loco which richly deserved the recognition it got? Whatever our regional preferences, I think there is a general acceptance that this is one of the outstanding success stories of British railways steam history.

Today, let's consider eight and ten coupled engines. Same criteria as before, not looks, but what did the job the best , taking into account all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime.

• RMweb Gold

Robinson 04 in its various manifestations. from Australia to Shanghai, the Middle East to Grimsby, France, Belgium and 28xx fans, even on the WoE mainline.

regards,

Alastair 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime." the 04 fulfills all those and it got their first and lasted longer. it also proved itself admirably suited to upgrading/modification. But the 8f was a great engine......   :diablo_mini:

Edited by A Murphy

O4.  I'd disagree with the argument above as the 8F was eventually deemed too complex and expensive and the Austerity design developed.  The O4 was just copied, again and again.   I know the Australian O4s were still working until the early 1970s; when were the last 8Fs retired (in the Middle East somewhere, at a guess)?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

If there was one poll which was a foregone conclusion, this was it.  The Black 5 got 15 votes, and nothing else more than three. Still, it would surely be wrong to not do the poll just because there happened to be a loco which richly deserved the recognition it got? Whatever our regional preferences, I think there is a general acceptance that this is one of the outstanding success stories of British railways steam history.

Today, let's consider eight and ten coupled engines. Same criteria as before, not looks, but what did the job the best , taking into account all considerations, ease of maintenance, reliability, crew comfort, the lot. Longevity again too, but of course also those that got cut off in their prime.

Churchwards 28xx. Superb machines.