Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Or maybe you are all just tired of polls?

Not tired of polls, just trying to work out if I can justify a vote for my favourite express locos (Bulleid LIght Pacifics) given your criteria, and whether I have to specify pre-or post-modification...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Not tired of polls, just trying to work out if I can justify a vote for my favourite express locos (Bulleid LIght Pacifics) given your criteria, and whether I have to specify pre-or post-modification...

In final form, if you prefer. Either is acceptable, a loco which was never changed, though there weren't many, or as last running.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

C1 for me. Granted the protection for the crew was almost non-existent but these engines were still working crack expresses in the late ‘30s and there are at least one or two accounts of a C1 rescuing the Silver Jubilee. There were some rebuilds and experiments but I wouldn’t call any of them successful.

• Like 1

I would have to go for Collet's Castles. Still running express passenger trains 40 years after their introduction. If there is a separate poll for innovations,  I would probably go for the double chimney on the A3s, though perhaps super-heating would be the most widely used innovation.

Lloyd

• Like 1

One for the C1 here.   The first large boiler, wide firebox ECML loco, starting the large engine and plenty of steam approach which the LNER under Gresley followed so successfully.

There were some rebuilds and experiments but I wouldn’t call any of them successful.

Apart from superheating, which apparently transformed them.

• RMweb Premium

It's a toss-up between the Collett Castles in their final form, with double chimneys and four-row superheaters, and the LMS Pacifics with roller-bearing axleboxes. On balance, the Castles get my vote due to their longevity in top link work.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Another 02 tonight, the one with the GN cab, and the one I like best.

1281312217_93940.JPG.b433bed1c7ee13f763ffd52ad2ab35be.JPG

And round the bend comes Woolwinder, with the Talisman headboard displayed. It is, in fact, the person who put that headboard on who is round the bend, as this is the White Rose. Said person actually remembers congratulating himself on finding the right board with his first try. Oh dear. Only excuse is that they look similar.

261689037_10nottheTalisman.JPG.00c41584c6010dd39034dd33f1498ec0.JPG

Other than that I like this, as I seem to be getting better at zooming while still keeping things sharp.

Hate to be the fly in the ointment but I am still not convinced about that backscene.   Others may have a different view.

Love the photo looking left from the loco though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Hate to be the fly in the ointment but I am still not convinced about that backscene.   Others may have a different view.

Love the photo looking left from the loco though.

Nor am I, but it is there on the better than nowt principle till I work out something better.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Post Mod, however many Crews, as you know, preferred the originals. Why? Who knows; devil you know?

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven't felt inclined to join in the last few votes, having no strong favourites, but airsmoothed Bulleids, particularly the light variety, captured my imagination as a youngster, so plus one for them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've always liked the Bulleid pacifics especially in unrebuilt form so they have my vote in rebuilt form if necessary as they did such Stirling work on the run to Bournemouth and Weymouth in their final years.

Martyn

• Like 1

23 hours ago, great northern said:

494123950_8empties.JPG.c6f62eb2d6477d3e34aff7846a330738.JPG

Just to show that the 9F had some of these tacked on to the back of the usual coal empties, really.

Gilbert, has anyone mentioned shiny wheels before?   A coat of track dirt or another mucky brown (I use Humbrol 33 and 100 in differing proportions) would do wonders for the appearance of those wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Most successful innovation?

Has to be the W1.

As it started out, they couldn't make it work properly.

Once rebuilt it looked good (does anything look better than an A4?), and worked like a dream.

It's only drawback was that it only had the one boiler, no spares, so spent an inordinate time on works when a boiler repair was needed.

And I only saw it as a small pile of streamlined casing at the allotment end of the Plant scrapline, circa 1960. But it took my imagination.

If I won some money I'd pay someone to build me one from Finney 7 as I just cannot find the time myself any more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

Poll result. 9F comfortable winner with 8 votes. 04 second.

Today, let's consider express passenger locos. Any wheel arrangement. Once again, efficiency, longevity, crew comfort, reliability etc, but add in another factor. Many express locos were rebuilt or enhanced later in their lives, so take into account which was the most successful innovation too.

Midland Railway and LMS Class 4 4-4-0 Compound. In service from 1902 to 1961, the largest and longest in service class of compound locos in the UK.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 15:17, Denbridge said:

They were no harder to maintain than any other design. The fact that Locomotives from Swindon works were out-shopped to such a high standard meant that they required less attention between works visits and achieved a higher mileage. I concede the point about comfort,  a matter addressed by Collett with the updated 2884 variants. 

Ah , I was thinking of the drivers job, ie oiling up between all that inside valve gear compared to say a Stanier 8F or a Riddles 9F.  Our old technical drawing teacher at school was an ex- Swindon man so I’ve known since my early teens that Swindon towered above the rest in its engineering quality !

incidently, although slightly of topic, it’s not generally realised that one of the difficulties they had when designing the Standards was the varying levels of engineering quality and Workshop practices at different works when in theory locomotives used all over the system should be designed to be able to be overhauled anywhere.