Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I think it has to be a BR 9f - by a nose from the GWR 47xx.

If I was looking further a field, it would be the American built SNCF 141R - A simple and reliable loco that kept going to the very end of French mainline steam in the 1970s!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

A difficult one. As much as I want to vote for the O4 and its variants. Maybe I should go with the Rebuilds to O1 they had much more protection in their cab. But no I think it has the be the last of the line so to speak the 9F. NO NO

I'm going for the O4 because of longevity in the end.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So I'm going to be high controversial here and propose the DB Class 50 (now with the correct pic!)

Screenshot_2020-06-01_at_15_01_20.png.e16bd5436970aa7f1d669f48b84de173.png

Not to be confused with the Class 52, a Kriegslock machine, of which many of the 6.700 were produced using slave labour, even though this was the design on which it was based a, the Class 50 enjoyed a very long and successful life with over 3,100 being made and ending up widely distributed  across Eastern Europe

Wikipedia has an interesting story about the class - in terms of sheer numbers and longevity it knocks the socks of anything mentioned so far... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_50

Gets hat and leaves rapidly

Edited by bigwordsmith
picture error
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Denbridge said:

Churchwards 28xx. Superb machines.

Does the ease of maintenance and crew comfort requirement in the rules exclude those ( or do they score so many points on the other aspects make up for those shortcomings ?

35 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Does the ease of maintenance and crew comfort requirement in the rules exclude those ( or do they score so many points on the other aspects make up for those shortcomings ?

They were no harder to maintain than any other design. The fact that Locomotives from Swindon works were out-shopped to such a high standard meant that they required less attention between works visits and achieved a higher mileage. I concede the point about comfort,  a matter addressed by Collett with the updated 2884 variants. 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thought it looked like a work in progress peeking out of the goods shed on the left!

Ah that one. No, just happens to be there. I do have some that I bought right at the start of lockdown, but I haven't started any yet.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Poll result. 9F comfortable winner with 8 votes. 04 second.

Today, let's consider express passenger locos. Any wheel arrangement. Once again, efficiency, longevity, crew comfort, reliability etc, but add in another factor. Many express locos were rebuilt or enhanced later in their lives, so take into account which was the most successful innovation too.