Peterborough North

great northern

Top passenger loco , Kylchap fitted A3’s.  Once modified they could steam on almost any quality coal with an inexperienced fireman, and still keep time on frontline expresses. They get my vote ahead of the Castles because of the rule that takes into account modifications. If they had been built originally as subsequently modified with Kylchap double blast pipes, long travel valves    and A4 boilers there would arguably be no need for the subsequent Gresley, Thompson, and Peppercorn pacifics.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Gilbert, has anyone mentioned shiny wheels before?   A coat of track dirt or another mucky brown (I use Humbrol 33 and 100 in differing proportions) would do wonders for the appearance of those wagons.

Another one on the very long "to do" list, Jonathan. Could I have your help please in selecting categories for a coaching stock poll?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's poll. I'm torn between the Castle and an A3. With my western leanings and as  I can't vote for both it has to be the Castle.

I managed to miss yesterday's poll but no matter I would have voted for the 9F.

• RMweb Premium

Having featured the N5 recently, it is only fair to give the C12 a bit of the limelight. It has propelled the stock for the 1033 to KX up into Platform 2.

367815321_8C12.JPG.bd69e480b19ffff328920903de1d9a6f.JPG

Shortly afterwards, the Norseman runs  through, KX A1 Curlew has the duty.

458843763_11221.JPG.55e832131bcef26f1cae9e6f22995283.JPG

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Midland Railway and LMS Class 4 4-4-0 Compound. In service from 1902 to 1961, the largest and longest in service class of compound locos in the UK.

Indeed and now alas totally off-topic, how often might this have been seen at a 1958 Peterborough North?  

(such a nice Bachmann model after all, edited photo, any excuse, will remove if asked)

41044_BR_LMS_Compound_4P_country_2abcd_r1500.jpg.2c604cfacf7696b912299932c82731e3.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, great northern said:

Another one on the very long "to do" list, Jonathan. Could I have your help please in selecting categories for a coaching stock poll?

We should start with favourite pre grouping carriage 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The poll result. Well it shows that we aren't narrow minded and over focused on our own particular area. The Castle class got 6 votes, the locos of Mr Bulleid 4, while ECML votes were split between four candidates.

The only thing is the Castle votes don't specify which one. Brancepeth, Naworth, Ford, Raby, Alnwick, Lambton, Belvoir, Hedingham or Kimbolton?:mosking::jester:

Now to today's poll. Well, Clive M obviously gave this a lot of thought, and was very specific, so I will adopt his suggestion.

Best all round mainline diesel for longevity, usefulness, variety of services, geographical spread and number of liveries.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My vote is for the Class 47 as the best all rounder mainline loco - I think there were almost as many livery variations as there were Class 47s! ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, great northern said:

Best all round mainline diesel for longevity, usefulness, variety of services, geographical spread and number of liveries.

EE type 3/Class 37 should win this by 80 chains...

Longevity: sixty years of operation and counting
Usefulness: powerful enough on their own but were also used in pairs and triples in multiple working. Some also capable of push-pull operation.

Variety of services: class 1 passenger and sleeper trains, Freightliners to local trip workings and everything in between 

Geographical spread: practically the whole country; Penzance to Thurso, Holyhead to Great Yarmouth
Number of liveries: Lots

Not as powerful or fast as a Brush type 4 admittedly, but ticks all the boxes.

I rest my case

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has to be the  EE3  class 37, added to Longevity, versatility and looks they actually make a decent sound and look good in almost every livery that have had and there have been many.