Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

The only thing is the Castle votes don't specify which one.

Well, I did specify Collett Castles, to distinguish them from those of Mr Drummond...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the poll for the diesel I'm tempted to vote for an HST power car but I'm not sure if that's 'in the spirit' so I'll go for the Class 37/English Electric type 3.

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to say thank you to Gilbert for being the host for these polls. Although I've missed some it has been something to look out for each day. I wonder, when this Covid business is over -whenever/if ever that might be - if it would be interesting to see a listing of our choices?

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/06/2020 at 19:45, great northern said:

Could I have your help please in selecting categories for a coaching stock poll?

It's a tricky one and although it was my idea I haven't come up with anything I think is a clever way of doing it.    Probably pre-, during and post-grouping (i.e. after 1948) would be the easiest categories to go for, but there's still a chance you'll get a whole heap of candidates with one vote each. 

What about 'favourite carriage on Gilbert's layout'?   There's a chance for people to go back over the thread and indulge in a bit of nostalgia while they choose.

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Premium

I'll count the poll later chaps, but so you have something to occupy your minds this morning, here is today's poll.  If a time machine arrived at your door, and you could go to any decade in the 20th century to watch trains for a day, which decade would you choose?  It would be interesting to know why as well.

• RMweb Premium

The nineteen, tens, anywhere along the Midland Railway main line. Most locos would have their Deeley front ends by then, they would be in their various stages of being rebuilt, some of them for a third time in about ten years, all would be in the simplified 1907 livery but still that rich crimson lake. Just thinking of the elegant coaches makes me what to have a Tardis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I second Clive's choice of decade. Railways at their most elegant, as illustrated by Hamilton Ellis.

But just to be greedy, I'll pick a location as well. Birmingham New Street. All the best of the Midland, but the LNW runs it close for interest, especially with regard to carriages.

36 minutes ago, great northern said:

I'll count the poll later chaps, but so you have something to occupy your minds this morning, here is today's poll.  If a time machine arrived at your door, and you could go to any decade in the 20th century to watch trains for a day, which decade would you choose?  It would be interesting to know why as well.

My word, that is a difficult one! I am torn between the thirties and the seventies,oddly. I will choose the thirties and the location is Edinburgh Princes Street gardens. All those LNER top link locos drifting back from Waverley to Haymarket for servicing and an endless procession of trains ranging from humble suburban trains all the way to the the Queen of Scots pullman. What a day that would be!