Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Derby designed and built....Jesus on a push bike where do I begin as we all know Mr Kitrtley, Mr Johnson and Mr Deeley never designed and built a bad locomotive. Sir Henry, bless him, from what I understand was a good manager but as a designer had his limits. But his engines were still OK.

I am going to have to go with a Deeley class 4 4-4-0 passenger simple expansion loco, the 990 class.

• Informative/Useful 1

Gilbert,

I expect you have seen that  Sir Little Bytham of this parish is building a V2 from a 3D printed body courtesy of Mike Trice. Comet chassis and a Bachmann Tender.

I was wondering if this might be something you would consider rather than the new RTR Bachmann model.

It's interesting that I was reading a 2012 issue of "Model Rail" the other afternoon and they were talking about the New Bachmann chassis that was sitting under the Old Body. So 8 years down the road the new body is almost with us. 

I can't remember the date a new chassis was promised or indeed a completely new model.

Keep safe.

Regards,Derek.

PS just returned from Radcliffe -on -Trent.

I believe the place has the highest number of working Guide Dogs (6) per head of population in the UK.

1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I expect you have seen that  Sir Little Bytham of this parish is building a V2 from a 3D printed body courtesy of Mike Trice. Comet chassis and a Bachmann Tender.

I was wondering if this might be something you would consider rather than the new RTR Bachmann model.

It's interesting that I was reading a 2012 issue of "Model Rail" the other afternoon and they were talking about the New Bachmann chassis that was sitting under the Old Body. So 8 years down the road the new body is almost with us. 

I can't remember the date a new chassis was promised or indeed a completely new model.

Keep safe.

Regards,Derek.

PS just returned from Radcliffe -on -Trent.

I believe the place has the highest number of working Guide Dogs (6) per head of population in the UK.

Just one point Derek,

I'm using a SE Finecast tender, not a Bachmann one (not that the Bachmann tender is wrong - which is more than can be said about the current V2 body). 

Who would make the Mike Trice V2 for Gilbert? Tim Easter? Possibly, though whether a current Bachmann chassis is available separately, I don't know. As you mentioned, I'm using a Comet chassis, but I don't think Tim's into making mechanisms. 

Either way, if one does appear on PN, it'll render all the Bachmann V2s there obsolete at a stroke. The original Bachmann body is really poor; over-obese and crude in detail. 

Having had the privilege of initially assessing the forthcoming Bachmann V2s last December, I can say that when they arrive they will be brilliant models, both in looks and performance. No doubt its arrival will be delayed (it was originally scheduled for late this year) and, I'm told, the price could be over £200.00 (does anyone know?).  

2079235346_MikeTriceV215.jpg.76770b06d332f5465859b1e36e009143.jpg

This is the Mike Trice one you mention, currently running with a borrowed SEF K3 tender. It will have its own. 

A full report thus far is on Wright Writes. Very good in my view, but not for those who can't build

1121577335_newBachmannV201.jpg.cb161da200088aa2d1ec06077019fcd0.jpg

Worth waiting for? One of Bachmann's initial proving models for its forthcoming V2. This manifestation owes nothing to the original, not even the tender. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Just one point Derek,

I'm using a SE Finecast tender, not a Bachmann one (not that the Bachmann tender is wrong - which is more than can be said about the current V2 body). 

Who would make the Mike Trice V2 for Gilbert? Tim Easter? Possibly, though whether a current Bachmann chassis is available separately, I don't know. As you mentioned, I'm using a Comet chassis, but I don't think Tim's into making mechanisms. 

Either way, if one does appear on PN, it'll render all the Bachmann V2s there obsolete at a stroke. The original Bachmann body is really poor; over-obese and crude in detail. 

Having had the privilege of initially assessing the forthcoming Bachmann V2s last December, I can say that when they arrive they will be brilliant models, both in looks and performance. No doubt its arrival will be delayed (it was originally scheduled for late this year) and, I'm told, the price could be over £200.00 (does anyone know?).  

2079235346_MikeTriceV215.jpg.76770b06d332f5465859b1e36e009143.jpg

This is the Mike Trice one you mention, currently running with a borrowed SEF K3 tender. It will have its own. 

A full report thus far is on Wright Writes. Very good in my view, but not for those who can't build

1121577335_newBachmannV201.jpg.cb161da200088aa2d1ec06077019fcd0.jpg

Worth waiting for? One of Bachmann's initial proving models for its forthcoming V2. This manifestation owes nothing to the original, not even the tender. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

The RRP on the Bachmann V2 is £229. With discounts it's currently between £186 and £195 at retailers.

At Warley it was antipated late 2020; it's now more likely Spring 2021(CoVid19) what price then? I've no doubt it'll be a cracking model.

Mike and Graeme before him, have shown that there are very inventive alternates. 

Edited by davidw
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh what a lovely way to end the day, with that photo’ of that exquisite J15, Gilbert. It looks so good, and the camera has captured it perfectly. Has to be Hornby’s best ever model.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Well, the products of Derby certainly didn't excite much interest, except possibly from Clive. Just four votes, half of which were for the Compounds, so they win.

I shudder to think what might happen if I now say Eastleigh or Brighton, so hopefully on slightly firmer ground, we will try Stratford.

• Agree 1

So many from Stratford - and a number of them rebuilt later in life to what we personally remember, so they don't really count?

Because of that I'll say J15 (LNER class) as its rebuild didn't seem as much as the others. A maid of all work and extremely long lasting.

Stewart

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to say N7 but bearing in mind what Stewart said I think I would also vote for the J15, as the N7 design was subsequently modified quite a bit whereas the J15s carried on more or less unchanged until the end of steam in East Anglia.  The J15s also seem to have punched above their weight performance wise!

• RMweb Premium

It has to be a D81, the most powerful 0-6-0 until the introduction of the Bullyboy Q1 many years later.

I am sure the low number of people voting in the Derby loco contest were unable to chose which master piece of engineering beauty they were going to vote for and were still making up their minds when the vote closed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

If its Stratford (East London) Works, it has to be the rather beautiful and very useful T26 (later LNER E4) 2-4-0 "Intermediate" mixed traffic loco - preferably in the GER dark blue as preserved. I would like to see the real one returned to steam for use on the North Norfolk or Mid Norfolk lines.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am sure the low number of people voting in the Derby loco contest were unable to chose which master piece of engineering beauty they were going to vote for and were still making up their minds when the vote closed.

I definitely got distracted by derbysulzers.com and completely failed to pick anything in time...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2