Peterborough North

great northern

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But Hamilton Ellis described them as voracious coal-eaters, which Marsh's I3 for the Brighton showed up, leading to superheating arriving at Crewe. 

Ah, yes , but no but ...erm I don’t think rules include coal consumption :rolleyes:. Were the Precursor tanks ever superheated ? I thought it was just the tender versions . 
However , I think even the I3 tanks were saturated as built but converted shortly afterwards,  but it was apparently another company that led the way with superheating in this country. I forget where their works were but somewhere in down Wiltshire I think. Legend has it they were so good that their  engineering tolerances were so fine they were still better when being scrapped than the rest were when they were brand new :P

• RMweb Premium

I didn’t vote for a Derby engine, mainly out of ignorance of what came from there. And I’m now confused is this steam only or all traction? If the former, then Black 5 but if I’m allowed diesels, then it will have to be a Class 52, Western.

I’d certainly vote for Southern works and if you go west of London, while the steam is all contemptible, there were some superb diesels!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Rather fatigued tonight, so a short visit. A local B1 with the 3.00pm to Grimsby.

2144108350_81210.JPG.8d2ce3424086fa7562be53ab248ba0e9.JPG

and at platform 6, a KX V2 with an ECS working.

9_854_f8.JPG.75b896ff1cf8e7f7048955b06ac0c414.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

I might well have asked this question before, but why has the V2 got rivets all over the Cartazzi frame.

Having just been studying dozens of pictures of V2s for a model I'm currently building, I can find none with rivets (or studs) in this area.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

I might well have asked this question before, but why has the V2 got rivets all over the Cartazzi frame.

Having just been studying dozens of pictures of V2s for a model I'm currently building, I can find none with rivets (or studs) in this area.

Regards,

Tony. 

You have Tony. This was built by a very well known and experienced person. I'm not naming names on here, that would be unfair in my view. I did on this occasion supply a good photograph of the locomotive I wanted, more than one if I remember correctly.  A very well respected person made a mistake, but then we all do.  The locomotive then went to another top professional for painting. You know him very well, as you do the builder. As both are in great demand, I waited a very long time for the model, at least two years, probably more. It was scratcbuilt, by the way. When it arrived, it had the wrong number! I had asked for 60852, and the photos I sent were of that loco. Someone else had made a mistake as well.

So, what was I to do?  I could have sent it back, but that would have meant another wait, and I desperately needed, and still do, good V2s. This is light years better than the old Bachmann things I still have to use, so I accept the mistakes, and use it often. I can live with the rivets, in fact I don't notice them. As you know, small detail doesn't bother me that much.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Black 5 8 votes, nothing else more than one. Perhaps I should have separated these into pre and post grouping categories. Anyway, having been assured that there will be a veritable flood of entries:mosking:, today we shall consider the products of Eastleigh.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, great northern said:

You have Tony. This was built by a very well known and experienced person. I'm not naming names on here, that would be unfair in my view. I did on this occasion supply a good photograph of the locomotive I wanted, more than one if I remember correctly.  A very well respected person made a mistake, but then we all do.  The locomotive then went to another top professional for painting. You know him very well, as you do the builder. As both are in great demand, I waited a very long time for the model, at least two years, probably more. It was scratcbuilt, by the way. When it arrived, it had the wrong number! I had asked for 60852, and the photos I sent were of that loco. Someone else had made a mistake as well.

So, what was I to do?  I could have sent it back, but that would have meant another wait, and I desperately needed, and still do, good V2s. This is light years better than the old Bachmann things I still have to use, so I accept the mistakes, and use it often. I can live with the rivets, in fact I don't notice them. As you know, small detail doesn't bother me that much.

Thanks Gilbert,

Is that the same V2 where I originally pointed out the dome was in the wrong place as well? 

Detail, whether large or small, is of great importance to me.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly complicated this one, as design and construction were often carried out at different Southern works.  The "Merchant Navies" were (apparently) largely designed at Brighton (but with assistance from both Ashford and Eastleigh), so despite having all been built (and rebuilt) at Eastleigh they might fall outside Gilbert's criteria.  In similar vein, I'm not sure where the design work for the "Schools" and "Lord Nelsons" was carried out, despite being built at Eastleigh.  

So, in searching for "designed & built" at Eastleigh, I'll go for the original series "King Arthurs"...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

this is a locomotive poll, which kinda rules out HST power cars

Operationally they were regarded as locos from quite early on. However, they were designed at Derby so don't qualify under Gilbert's rules. Otherwise they'd get my vote too.

• RMweb Premium

I think it has to be the Urie S15 4-6-0, but it was a hard decision as the Urie rebuilt T9s with the narrow driving wheel splashers and water cart tender are another favourite - seeing No 120 running in LSWR colours in the late 150s / early 1960s was magical.

When I went to the University of Southampton, in 1972, to study for a Mechanical Engineering Degree, our Engineering Drawing lecturer / tutor was a Mr Jolly, who had trained / worked at Eastleigh under Urie. He had a large framed print of an official works photograph of one of Urie's 4-6-0s on his office wall.

After my first year, Mr Jolly took ill and died during the summer vacation 1973. He was replaced by a Mr Sadd!

Regards

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

I think it has to be the Urie S15 4-6-0, but it was a hard decision as the Urie rebuilt T9s with the narrow driving wheel splashers and water cart tender are another favourite - seeing No 120 running in LSWR colours in the late 150s / early 1960s was magical.

When I went to the University of Southampton, in 1972, to study for a Mechanical Engineering Degree, our Engineering Drawing lecturer / tutor was a Mr Jolly, who had trained / worked at Eastleigh under Urie. He had a large framed print of an official works photograph of one of Urie's 4-6-0s on his office wall.

After my first year, Mr Jolly took ill and died during the summer vacation 1973. He was replaced by a Mr Sadd!

Regards

Chris H

Did you know Andrew Kleissner at Uni? He was an old school mate of mine and built some nice N gauge layouts back then.

• RMweb Premium

Does the rebuilt Merchant Navy count - I hope so, as my vote goes for that - utterly superb locos which were so much better than the unrebuilt version, IMHO.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Does the rebuilt Merchant Navy count - I hope so, as my vote goes for that - utterly superb locos which were so much better than the unrebuilt version, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I think Jarvis was based at Brighton when he designed the rebuilds, so they're "designed at Brighton, built at Eastleigh" twice over...