Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Unfortunately, I think Jarvis was based at Brighton when he designed the rebuilds, so they're "designed at Brighton, built at Eastleigh" twice over...

I am beginning to wish I had never opened this particular can of worms. However, am I correct in thinking that unlike, for example, black fives, which were first built at Crewe, but then subsequent batch at Derby, the MN/WC were all built at Eastleigh? If so, they count.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you know Andrew Kleissner at Uni? He was an old school mate of mine and built some nice N gauge layouts back then.

Sorry, I don't remember the name. In fact there are only a few names that I do remember from that time - and even less that I'm still in contact with!

Regards

Chris H

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

I am beginning to wish I had never opened this particular can of worms. However, am I correct in thinking that unlike, for example, black fives, which were first built at Crewe, but then subsequent batch at Derby, the MN/WC were all built at Eastleigh? If so, they count.

It is, indeed a can of worms - whether that is preferable to a can of Spam is a matter for debate :)  

The 30 Merchant Navies were all built at Eastleigh, and rebuilt at Eastleigh, though Brighton was responsible for the designs of both the originals and rebuilds. 

The 110 West Country/Battle of Britains were built at Brighton (104) and Eastleigh (6).  The 60 that were rebuilt were all done at Eastleigh.  Again, Brighton was responsible for the designs of both the originals and rebuilds. 

As Gilbert says "they count", I'll transfer my vote from earlier (King Arthurs) to the Merchant Navies.  

I'll freely admit that Darlington/Doncaster would have me completely foxed, so I sympathise with those who are perplexed by the Southern and its constituents

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Built at Eastleigh? 

Gordon Keeble Cars

I'm sorry Gilbert but I couldn't resist. I also admire the other icons, such as the Spitfire, glider and also Barnes Wallis Geodetic structure which became part of the Ford Plant - strangely nobody mentioned Ford Transits ;) .

However, with my sensible hat on I will vote for the S15. I have little knowledge of them but I know people who do and view them as a bomb proof slogger which will pull anything anywhere without complaint.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Memo to self. Do not try to run polls which concern places about which others know far more than you do.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Hi Gilbert

That is part of the fun of these polls, people sharing their knowledge or going off and learning something.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

That is part of the fun of these polls, people sharing their knowledge or going off and learning something.

I agree, but it doesn't help when I am trying to set the rules.:scratch_one-s_head_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 2

G'Day Folks

I'm going to vote for those cute little Beattie  2-4-0WT's, the ones that survived down in Cornwall for so many years after all there sisters were scrapped.

My late Father-in-Law worked in Eastleigh works for many years, he told me during the war, he worked on Landing craft at Eastleigh works.

manna 

• Like 1