Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I'm going to vote for those cute little Beattie  2-4-0WT's, the ones that survived down in Cornwall for so many years after all there sisters were scrapped.

My late Father-in-Law worked in Eastleigh works for many years, he told me during the war, he worked on Landing craft at Eastleigh works.

manna 

Surely the Beattie Well Tanks - and other Beattie locos - were built by contractors or at the LSWR's "Nine Elms" works. Easleigh wasn't established as  C&W works till 1891. No locos were built at Eastleigh till 1910 under Dugald Drummond - some of the first being M7 0-4-4Ts. So Adams reign was still at Nine Elms and came between Beattie and Drummond.

Sorry to be picky.

Regards

Chris H

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Surely the Beattie Well Tanks - and other Beattie locos - were built by contractors or at the LSWR's "Nine Elms" works. Easleigh wasn't established as  C&W works till 1891. No locos were built at Eastleigh till 1910 under Dugald Drummond - some of the first being M7 0-4-4Ts. So Adams reign was still at Nine Elms and came between Beattie and Drummond.

Sorry to be picky.

Regards

Chris H

G'day Folks

That's a Bummer, I forgot about Nine Elms, better go for a T9 then.

manna

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Sorry to be picky.

Regards

Chris H

I believe the well tanks were built by Beyer Peacock.

• RMweb Premium

I love the rake of coaches Gilbert. It’s difficult to tell which are RTR and which are kits such is the quality of both. I presume the three blood and custard Thompsons are the RTRs...but only because I know Bachmann make these.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

That's a Bummer, I forgot about Nine Elms, better go for a T9 then.

manna

The T9s were modified by Urie (presumably at Eastleigh) between 1922 and 1929, but originally built either by contractors or at Nine Elms...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

The T9s were modified by Urie (presumably at Eastleigh) between 1922 and 1929, but originally built either by contractors or at Nine Elms...

Indeed, Dübs of Glasgow being the contractor.

After 1903, the North British Locomotive Company.

Edited by Tim Dubya
2nd attempt to get the word Scotchland into a post (but failled).

• RMweb Premium

Well, that poll gave hours of innocent amusement, didn't it? After spending some time ruling suggestions in or out for various reasons, we had a tie between  Rebuilt MNs and S15s, with 3 votes each. I think that's right, anyway. Many thanks to our more knowledgeable contributors who steered us in the correct direction.

What to do today?  Having had our knowledge enhanced somewhat, we'll stay down south, and go for locomotives designed and/or built at Brighton. No bubble cars Clive.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, great northern said:

Having had our knowledge enhanced somewhat, we'll stay down south, and go for locomotives designed and/or built at Brighton. No bubble cars Clive.

BR Class 4 2-6-4T.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert my dear friend, bubble cars aka class 121 and 122 were built by Pressed Steel and Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon, not at Brighton. Daft nickname everyone knows that true bubble cars only had three wheels and no reverse gear.

Today's vote has to go to Stepney and the other 49 class A1 "Terriers". 20% of the class are preserved, not bad for a humble 0-6-0T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As yesterday indirectly showed, choosing a "Brighton" loco won't be easy.  H2, Z, and a number of classes of tank engines are all worthy of consideration, but in joint "second place" I'll mention

Q1 0-6-0 - not to everyone's taste aesthetically, but very good at the job they were built for

West Country/Battle of Britain - original form

Design of the rebuild of both classes of Bulleid Pacifics

BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4 Tank

However, after much consideration, my actual vote goes to the A1/A1X Terriers - you only need to look at the threads on the various recent RTR models to see how strongly some people feel about these wonderfully long-lived little locos!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

It is, indeed a can of worms - whether that is preferable to a can of Spam is a matter for debate :)  

The 30 Merchant Navies were all built at Eastleigh, and rebuilt at Eastleigh, though Brighton was responsible for the designs of both the originals and rebuilds. 

The 110 West Country/Battle of Britains were built at Brighton (104) and Eastleigh (6).  The 60 that were rebuilt were all done at Eastleigh.  Again, Brighton was responsible for the designs of both the originals and rebuilds. 

As Gilbert says "they count", I'll transfer my vote from earlier (King Arthurs) to the Merchant Navies.  

I'll freely admit that Darlington/Doncaster would have me completely foxed, so I sympathise with those who are perplexed by the Southern and its constituents

I thought the rules were "designed and built", in which case none of the Bulleid Pacifics qualify for Eastleigh. When Brighton comes round, I'll vote for the WC/BBs.

Edit: Can't keep up - see below.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Well, that poll gave hours of innocent amusement, didn't it? After spending some time ruling suggestions in or out for various reasons, we had a tie between  Rebuilt MNs and S15s, with 3 votes each. I think that's right, anyway. Many thanks to our more knowledgeable contributors who steered us in the correct direction.

What to do today?  Having had our knowledge enhanced somewhat, we'll stay down south, and go for locomotives designed and/or built at Brighton. No bubble cars Clive.

Well if the rule's changed (!) I'll still go for the light Pacifics.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm! - Spoilt for choice again, but as this is about bomb-proof, go anywhere, do anything and do it reliably locos it has to be the:

-  BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4 Tank.

Lots tied for second place, including - Bulleid's superb Q1, Terrier 0-6-0Ts, WC / BB Bulleid Light Pacifics, Marsh / Billington H2 Atlantics.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I will be a bit crass and offer the entire set of Brighton radial tanks, Robert Billinton's Classes E3/4/5/6. They all looked similar, but had different size drivers to help distinguish them. E3 stemmed from 158 West Brighton, completed posthumously of William Stroudley design, which Billinton found satisfactory. That had 4'6" drivers, as did E6 in the Edwardian era, and these were freight locos, of course. E4 had 5' drivers for mixed traffic and E5 5'6" drivers for secondary and suburban passenger services.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Brighton has to be the BR 4 tank.

But wasn't a BR class 4 tank a Fairburn tank with BR fittings.

The Fairburn tank in turn was a slightly shorter wheelbase Stanier class 4 tank.

The Stanier tank was a Fowler tank with a Swindon boiler.

The Folwer tank was an outside cylinder version of the MR flatiron 0-6-4T needing a pony truck on the front.

Therefore a BR standard class 4 was in reality a Derby design. :tomato::tomato::tomato:

• Funny 3