Peterborough North

great northern

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

yeah but no but yeah but no but it still has it roots in a Derby design.

Ah, well , all I can say is the sooner we get on to Swindon Design and built the better. Enough engineering excellence and forward thinking creative, unique design thought to dispel any accusations of plagiarism there . None of this closed in cab nonsense , or bucket seats to send the crew to sleep, plenty of fresh air to keep ‘em healthy , and stay awake all the way to Plymouth non-stop. 28 inches of brake as well while the rest had 21. Went down hill when they started using German diesels though.:)

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Ah, well , all I can say is the sooner we get on to Swindon Design and built the better. Enough engineering excellence and forward thinking creative, unique design thought to dispel any accusations of plagiarism there . None of this closed in cab nonsense , or bucket seats to send the crew to sleep, plenty of fresh air to keep ‘em healthy , and stay awake all the way to Plymouth non-stop. 28 inches of brake as well while the rest had 21. Went down hill when they started using German diesels though.:)

Hi Jazzer

I take it that is 28 inches of vacuum. Well I can beat that I have 31 inches of vacuum between my ears, so I have been told.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

If we are talking of the MSLR/GCR works at Gorton, then it has to be a Robinson 04.  Even Swindon bought ex ROD versions. (What was that comment about tolerances?)

If it’s the Beyer works then a 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratt.

Finally, have spent time as a Volunteer  Guard on a preserves railway, it was always a pain having one of Swindon’s finest involved in a Gala weekend. When you had the pleasure of the GWR Loco for a trip followed by a Loco change, you have to pull the strings on all the Vacuum Cylinders, before you can move off again.  Oh the joys of 25 inch vacuum!!!!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh no I have just seen that picture of trickling water, won't be a mo.

Clive

So you have a touch of the Godfrey's as well, then. Join the club!

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Forgot to add name at bottom
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It has taken me some time to cool down after this morning's roasting on the fairways. A bit of a nap as well, if truth be told. Anyway, the Brighton poll was jolly well supported, the Atlantics and Spam Cans each getting 3 votes, but that Standard 4MT tank got 5, and was top of a poll for the second time. I'm beginning to wonder why there aren't any at PN.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wouldn't know about things designed in the land the wrong side of the Humber.

Tell you what is odd, there is a group at the Bluebell Railway (remember I voted for it as a lovely cross country route south of the Thames) who are using a GNR C1 boiler to make a Brighton Atlantic.

Indeed. They work in the shed (aka Atlantic House) next to where I’m working on Stowe!

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh goody, with two works to chose from can I do one each of Steam, Electric and Diesel? -

- Steam has to be the Metropolitan Railway "A" class 4-4-0T Condensing tanks.

- Electric is the EM2 for the Woodead line.

- Diesel is the "Hymek" later Class 35 Diesel Hydraulics for the Western Region.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, great northern said:

3_lily_close.JPG.6428ed34221bf00e4ddcadb3987707dc.JPG

I can't remember what it is called, but it certainly is lovely, and on hot days like this it is very calming to go out late in the evening and empty the contents of my watering can onto it, listening to the gentle sound of the liquid pattering on the leaves and the soil.

I believe it's a Compass Lily.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Translation
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4MT  Standards never worked through PN as far as I know although they were shopped at Doncaster and I once saw one reversing onto the Nottingham line at Grantham on it's return to Neasden via Weekday Junction. I also saw a Standard  Class 4  2-6-0 going in the reverse direction and again it was a Neasden Locomotive.

It is possible that they worked through PN light engine ?

• Like 1

Gilbert,

I was thinking of the large number that were shedded at 33A Plaistow &33B Tilbury during 1958. I am guessing they were shopped at Doncaster, but I am not certain. However if I am right you could easily find a Path for a Light Engine cos you know it makes sense.

Regards,Del Boy.

PS Is that Old Duck from Retford alright I don't think we have heard from him for a while.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Gilbert,

I was thinking of the large number that were shedded at 33A Plaistow &33B Tilbury during 1958. I am guessing they were shopped at Doncaster, but I am not certain. However if I am right you could easily find a Path for a Light Engine cos you know it makes sense.

Regards,Del Boy.

PS Is that Old Duck from Retford alright I don't think we have heard from him for a while.

The trouble is the usual though Derek. If I make one exception it may lead to many more. I wonder if I could get one to visit off the Midland or LNWR?

Phil is himself, he has good days and not so good ones when he can't do much, and like all of us sometimes struggles to cope with all that we are having thrown at us at present. He'll be back when he feels like it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1