Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

What a poll that wasn't.  Thanks to those who stopped it being a complete flop, the majority of whom voted for A1/3.

Hurriedly returning south of the border and onto what should be very solid ground, we come at last to Doncaster. Let's do this in stages, so today we will look at locos from the earliest days up to 1914. We seek the best classes to emerge from the Plant during that time, taking into account technical innovation, reliability, versatility, longevity, and influence upon the future. And we will split it into passenger and goods categories too.

Coming to the end of this type of poll I think, so any further suggestions as to what I may have missed out should be made now. We aren't going West though.

Passenger - Klondikes. They were the first Atlantics in Britain and they led to the C1s which were still in service in the ‘40s. Both the C1s and the C2s were more versatile than Gresley’s pacifics, especially on the route to Leeds until the late ‘30s.

Goods - J52; first built in 1897 and the last was withdrawn in 1961. Not much technical innovation, though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Doncaster? It has to be the AL5s

004-10-Crewe-14-8-65-E3061

Clive, I didn't  realise the AL5's were built pre 1914, when I saw them in the early 60's at Willesden  Junction I got the impression they were newish especially as BR had built a new depot for them.

Regards,Del boy. :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Doncaster? It has to be the AL5s

004-10-Crewe-14-8-65-E3061

Clive, dear chap, along with your other ailments you are now obviously suffering from premature polling. I believe there may be non intrusive treatment available, but you need to get it seen to. I think an infusion made from the leaves of ragwort may do the trick.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Clive, I didn't  realise the AL5's were built pre 1914, when I saw them in the early 60's at Willesden  Junction I got the impression they were newish especially as BR had built a new depot for them.

Regards,Del boy. :crazy:

51 minutes ago, great northern said:

Clive, dear chap, along with your other ailments you are now obviously suffering from premature polling. I believe there may be non intrusive treatment available, but you need to get it seen to. I think an infusion made from the leaves of ragwort may do the trick.

Oh did Doncaster produce anything good before the AL5s? :dontknow:

To be honest I got as far as reading Doncaster and thought "WOW AL5s" and didn't read any further. :secret:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

THat's a second from me!

Maybe you should just do a poll of 'Favourite ever loco!'

You have been led astray Peter. By those wot don't read the whole of what my typing digit has said.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am concerned at our host's reference to ragwort. It is potentially lethal to horses, albeit in extended consumption, and thus a most unsavoury weed to mention in a thread about a railway so fond of racehorses. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I am concerned at our host's reference to ragwort. It is potentially lethal to horses, albeit in extended consumption, and thus a most unsavoury weed to mention in a thread about a railway so fond of racehorses. 

The connection goes like this Ian. Clive's wife keeps horses, and one of his jobs, almost never ending it seems, is to keep removing the ragwort in their paddocks. I don't think Clive likes ragwort any more than horses do.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

G'Day Folks

I'm going for a Small Atlantic, as they led to the Large Atlantic, goods is a little harder, for that I'll go for the J3, they had long non exciting lives, but did a lot of hard work.

manna

Edited by manna