Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I am concerned at our host's reference to ragwort. It is potentially lethal to horses, albeit in extended consumption, and thus a most unsavoury weed to mention in a thread about a railway so fond of racehorses. 

As soon as I clear a paddock the sodding stuff springs up somewhere else. Every year since we took on the ranch I try to clear the stuff before it seeds. It is slowly getting less and less each year. I was busy pulling it today.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As soon as I clear a paddock the sodding stuff springs up somewhere else. Every year since we took on the ranch I try to clear the stuff before it seeds. It is slowly getting less and less each year. I was busy pulling it today.

It runs rampant in France, so I pull up a bit too, although Deb's horses have been gone a few years. And I believe it is increasingly visible on HS1, since Eurostars make great seed carriers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It runs rampant in France, so I pull up a bit too, although Deb's horses have been gone a few years. And I believe it is increasingly visible on HS1, since Eurostars make great seed carriers.

Isn't that how rose bay willow herb spread? Or was that buddleia?

Adam the Gardener.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

It's the time of year for it, isn't it, Clive?  I keep putting it off saying I'm too busy making hay.   Do you have one of these forks you can get for it?  I found them a great improvement on a trowel.

Hi Jonathan

I do have a ragwort fork, in fact me and Mrs M have one each. :good:

• Informative/Useful 1

As a child, I knew ragwort as "Stinking Willie", which I now believe was a reference to William of Orange.  It was always covered in the caterpillars of the cinnabar moth, distinctive for their yellow and black stripes.

It still grows on the local common.  For some years, the owners of the ponies grazing there used to diligently remove it, but it doesn't seem to affect the two ponies currently grazing there, who ignore it.  Do some horses have an awareness of its toxicity not shared by all?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

As a child, I knew ragwort as "Stinking Willie", which I now believe was a reference to William of Orange.  It was always covered in the caterpillars of the cinnabar moth, distinctive for their yellow and black stripes.

It still grows on the local common.  For some years, the owners of the ponies grazing there used to diligently remove it, but it doesn't seem to affect the two ponies currently grazing there, who ignore it.  Do some horses have an awareness of its toxicity not shared by all?

Most horses and ponies will not eat it as it smells horrid to them. They will eat it if there isn't any grass, the more ragwort the less grass, the soil will only support so many plants. Horses do tend to tread on it and brake leaves off. As the leaf gives up the will to live it loses its distasteful smell but remains toxic, that is when they start to eat it and poison themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

A SERIOUS QUESTION:-  Is Ragwort poisonous to dogs.  I always take my Dogs for their walks on Woodland Trust land which has a designated dog walk. I have always had Border Collies and they are off the lead when walking. 3 years ago we went for a walk in the afternoon and my dog suddenly became unwell and despite a visit to the Vets died. They were unable to find anything wrong  but  as he was as fit as a fiddle until the dreaded walk,so just wondered about this weed.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Not as quickly as that, I don't think.   I believe it causes liver failure, so it's a progressive poisoning.   I've not heard of animals dropping down dead after eating it, otherwise everyone would be a lot more jumpy about it growing in the fields.

• Agree 1

Johnathon thanks for your response,

I had researched it on the web before asking my question. Mainly talks about horses and does say they can die before the owners are even aware of a problem. Once Ragwort  flowers it can be dangerous for Humans and a mask should be worn when pulling it up.

The effect on horses is truly horrible as it causes liver failure (As you rightly mentioned) it can also cause Blindness in Horses at least (Humans not sure). best to be extremely careful how you destroy it,  DEFRA suggest burning it.

Can't find much about it's effects on other animals,but for horses a most unpleasant and sometimes rapid death. Sometimes though it can be a lengthy illness that may be affecting a horse when it is purchased and neither the Seller or Buyer will be aware of existing Liver damage.

28 minutes ago, great northern said:

Golf over for the day, so now I can return to the ragwort thread.:jester: Should we have a most noxious weed poll?

Gilbert

I can think of one of my students that would win that poll outright. Thankfully now retired. Students were not usually a problem. senior management fulfilled that role very well!

Lloyd

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

The poll result. Passenger loco was an Atlantic, but which one. 4 votes each for C1 and C2. On the goods side, K1 or K2 well ahead with 4.

We shall move on to the period 1915 to 1939. Same criteria. Could be close, this one.

• RMweb Premium

For passenger I agree it is A4 - no contest.

For freight / Mixed Traffic - it has to be the V2 2-6-2, "The locos that won the war"!

If we were to have a mineral freight loco as well then the O2 would be there as well.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
spelling
  • Like 2