Jack of all trades master of none.

Continuing in this vein I will go for 

Passenger - V2

Goods - V2

Jack of all trades, & also master!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

For passenger I agree it is A4 - no contest.

For freight / Mixed Traffic - it has to be the V2 2-6-2, "The locos that won the war"!

If we were to have a mineral freight loco as well then the O2 would be there as well.

Regards

Chris H

Same combination for me please!

• RMweb Premium

I’m torn between the A1/A3  and V2 for passenger but I’ll go for the A1/A3 and put the V2 in for freight sadly meaning the O2 has to miss out.                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Seeing the photograph of "Minoru" reminded me of a phone call I answered when I worked for LT at Golders Green in 1984 . A Lady asked to speak to Rob *****  and I said I am afraid he is not here this afternoon,can I take a message . Yes she said I believe he has a nameplate from a locomotive called "Minoru"  (I answered that I had no idea as he is only working here this week)  and my husband had the other one. Unfortunately my husband has just died and we had talked about giving the plate to Rob when that happened so that he would have both of them, my phone number is 01-765-2345 if he would like to ring me.

I was flabbergasted and we politely ended the call. Next morning Rob was even more flabbergasted when he saw my message and thought it was a wind up. It took some persuading to get him to phone the Lady,but when he did he was a very happy bunny

I reckon that each plate was worth about £2000 at that time,but a pair would probably fetch more.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Not surprisingly, that was a well supported poll. On the passenger side the contest was mainly between A4 and A1/3, won this time by the A4, 7 votes to 4. I believe this is the first time the A4 has topped a poll, which does rather surprise me. The goods vote was almost exclusively a contest between 02 and V2, the 02 just shading it by 6 votes to 5.

Today we will finish off our visit to Doncaster, assessing the period from WW2 to the end. At last a chance for all those lovers of the works of ET to get involved.:mosking: I always enjoy trying to second guess Clive's usually off piste responses. This time I suspect there may be an Eastern European connection. Now, where's that duster?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gotta be the AL5 for both freight and passenger.

They were intended to be the main locomotives for the electrification of the Doncaster to Kings Cross project with AM9s providing the semi fast services. Sadly funding was withdrawn and the ECML had to wait to be electrocuted.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Gotta be the AL5 for both freight and passenger.

They were intended to be the main locomotives for the electrification of the Doncaster to Kings Cross project with AM9s providing the semi fast services. Sadly funding was withdrawn and the ECML had to wait to be electrocuted.

No Deltics if that had happened :O

Bigger run of 50s perhaps instead, or simply there would have been more than enough other diesels until the wires reached Newcastle and then eventually Edinburgh.

That said, the AL5 was a lovely loco and the AM9s would have made for lovely semi fasts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you come across a young engineer called Giles Dallaway?

I was based there in a Portakabin and was working on what was to become Train Overhaul. I knew the Foreman and Reps who worked in the Depot but can't recall the name and Giles is quite an unusual name so I would remember.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you come across a young engineer called Giles Dallaway?

I remember Giles Dallaway from his time with LU in the late 1980s / early 90s and had some dealings with him regarding Train Audit ratings and also the the RSMIMS ("Rolling Stock Maintenance Integrated Management System" - aka "Who she"?) project documents - for which I was the Specifier and Engineering Acceptance person.

Where did you come across him?

Regards

Chris H