Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The class 56 was a Brush design, in fact a 47 with an up rated class 50 engine. Brush did not have the physical capacity to build them, hence Romania and Doncaster, so does it count as a Doncaster design?

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I remember Giles Dallaway from his time with LU in the late 1980s / early 90s and had some dealings with him regarding Train Audit ratings and also the the RSMIMS ("Rolling Stock Maintenance Integrated Management System" - aka "Who she"?) project documents - for which I was the Specifier and Engineering Acceptance person.

Where did you come across him?

Regards

Chris H

PM sent.

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The class 56 was a Brush design, in fact a 47 with an up rated class 50 engine. Brush did not have the physical capacity to build them, hence Romania and Doncaster, so does it count as a Doncaster design?

... And this had me scurrying back through the thread to find if "design" or "build" (or either ... or both) was specified for the Doncaster poll. We've had various options specified previously. This time, it just seems to have been "Doncaster", with no obvious definition.

So I await a ruling.

If the 56 is ruled out, then I suppose that would leave me voting for the 58. A loco which was a very unusual design for the UK, and one not to be repeated. It was half-aimed at the export market, a market on which it attracted precisely zero orders. At home it was notoriously slippery (not a good thing in a freight loco), and was ultimately outlived by the earlier and more numerous Class 56s. Although to be fair, the 56 inspired the creation and purchase of the class 59 by it's own sheer unreliability at one point, so it's not like they didn't have their own faults...

• RMweb Premium

I think it was my grandfather who advised me that the job you fancy least of all should be the one you do first, so all has stopped while I tackled the duvet. This change is made worse by the fact that both duvet and cover are white, but nevertheless, without too much trauma the thing is confined for another fortnight. The next worst job, mowing my hair, can wait a day or two though.

The poll next. I specified designed/built as the qualification a while back, and on that basis the Peppercorn A1 wins the passenger vote by 5 to 4 for Class 85. On the goods vote, Class 56 won with 3.

I know we haven't done St Rollox or Horwich, among others, but I sense this poll has run its course, so unless I receive protests or death threats I won't take it further. I'm really not sure what, if anything, to do next either. A coach poll might be a bit niche, and I still can't work out how to do it anyway, and apart from that I'm out of ideas, or nearly so.

I'm currently reading again  Freeman Allen's book The Eastern since 1948, and that got me thinking about highlights and the opposite in the history of the ECML. So today I will try to get your views on the single most significant event in the history of the LNER. The day perceptions changed as to what might be possible, if that helps.

• Like 1

Gilbert I have a tried and tested method of successfully wrangling a duvet.

1) Lay the duvet cover flat on the bed with the opening at the bottom of the bed

2) Open up all the buttons at the bottom

3) Grab the duvet, which will still hopefully be lying on the floor from when you pulled it out for washing and find the two top corners

4) Holding both corners with your left hand, introduce the duvet to the cover and feed it up to the top right hand corner with the right  hand (Seen from above standing at the bottom of the bed)

5) Now hold the fight hand corner with both cover ad duvet corners together as they should be with your right hand

6) Move your left hand, holding onto the left hand corner of the duvet to the top left hand corner of the assemblage.

7) Transfer your left hand to be outside the duvet - you may have to put it on the bed for this

8) spread your arms wide, holding the duvet, give it a shake, and the cover will magically fall down the duvet and envelope it.

9) Give the thing a couple of very good shakes to move all the weight towards the top

10) Repeat (9) if necessary to get the side to side distribution correct

11) Close up the buttons at the bottom

12) Turn down the corner on whichever side you get in /out and place a chocolate on the pillow for later

Job Done - Simples!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Most significant to me in terms of proving what was possible was the first non-stop run from King’s Cross to Waverley.

The lowlight IMO was the first withdrawal of a Class 91 and HST or the first Azuma entering service (you didn’t specify which LNER we’re discussing :tease:)

Edited by JamieR4489

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Most significant to me in terms of proving what was possible was the first non-stop run from King’s Cross to Waverley.

The lowlight IMO was the first withdrawal of a Class 91 and HST or the first Azuma entering service (you didn’t specific which LNER we’re discussing :tease:)

There is/was only one LNER. Proper one, anyway.

2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

1) Lay the duvet cover flat on the bed with the opening at the bottom of the bed

3) Grab the duvet, which will still hopefully be lying on the floor from when you pulled it out for washing and find the two top corners

4) Holding both corners with your left hand, introduce the duvet to the cover and feed it up to the top right hand corner with the right  hand (Seen from above standing at the bottom of the bed)

5) Now hold the fight hand corner with both cover ad duvet corners together as they should be with your right hand

6) Move your left hand, holding onto the left hand corner of the duvet to the top left hand corner of the assemblage.

7) Transfer your left hand to be outside the duvet - you may have to put it on the bed for this

8) spread your arms wide, holding the duvet, give it a shake, and the cover will magically fall down the duvet and envelope it.

9) Give the thing a couple of very good shakes to move all the weight towards the top

12) Turn down the corner on whichever side you get in /out and place a chocolate on the pillow for later

Job Done - Simples!

But you forgot, write R on right hand, and L on left hand. Seriously, I will try to remember that in a fortnight's time.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

The lowlight IMO was the first withdrawal of a Class 91 and HST or the first Azuma entering service (you didn’t specific which LNER we’re discussing :tease:)

Ah but beaten a few days before by the LMS with nothing more than a MR (Derby designed) Compound 4-4-0.

Most significant day for the LNER and ECML was 31st December 1947.

I am not sure what the lowlight would be, I suppose Raven not being able to electrify the ECML (part of) or that the London suburban services were not electrified despite the Quad-arts being designed so that they could be converted to EMUs.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I guess the highlight of the ECML must be Mallard's record run. The lowlight - either the demise of GNER, or the appearance of Virgin. I guess either, but the GNER failure ultimately led to Virgin....so which?

Stewart

OK, for the first time, I'm going to join in here. Mallard's record run was a glorious confirmation of an earlier event, surely? So is that event not the more important one?

I'd go back further - Papyrus in 1935.   Gresley proved to the LNER board that his locomotives could already do as well or better than the streamlined German diesels and the whole streamlined train project developed from that one run.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree with JW - Papyrus.

Worst event must be the Hatfield crash and its aftermath for the whole railway.

Andy                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Job Done - Simples!

G'Day Folks

I would rather build a kit of Gresley Garratt, with half the bits missing.

High point, Non stop............Low point, end of steam.

manna

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

13 hours ago, great northern said:

So today I will try to get your views on the single most significant event in the history of the LNER. The day perceptions changed as to what might be possible, if that helps.

September 29 1935.  Silver Link enters service. 

• The world is introduced to the A4. 
  • The idea of what a British steam locomotive can look like is fundamentally changed. 
  • Streamlined, both inside and out. 
  • The whole train is **silver**. 
  • All that, and it goes on to break existing speed records.

I have read it described as being the equivalent of Concorde for 1935.  

Perception = changed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, great northern said:

But surely the day that perceptions changed was the one when Silver Link broke every record then standing on that test run on 27th September 1935? Did anyone really realise what was possible before that?

Were perceptions really changed in one day or a gradual process ? The challenge for more speed was already there. It drove Gresley to go see Andre Chapaleon to get a special Kylchap blast pipe, to see Bugatti to investigate streamlining, and to adopt the  GWR practice of higher boiler pressures. Surely ideas must have opened up when Flying Scotsman achieved the first authenticated 100 mph in this country with. Dynamometer car ?

Silver link played its part. It could possibly have achieved the record in September 1935 but for the fact that Gresley went through the corridor tender and apparently told driver Taylor to ease the speed because the coaches were swaying far more violently than the loco. Driver Taylor certainly thought he could go a lot faster as he didnt think he was doing more than 90 mph (the speed recorder in the cab was faulty) and though there was more to come. 

However it was Mallard and prodigious efforts of driver Joe Duddington , and Fireman Tommy Bray that got the record so they get my vote.

Worst point ( on the proper LNER not the modern incarnation ) , nobody realising, or checking to find out that there was track replacement going on in Grantham on 3rd July 1938 causing a temporary speed limit which caused Mallard to go down to 18 mph when it should have been able to attack Stoke Bank at 60. If it had a better run at Stoke Bank it would have been going faster over the top and no doubt reached more than 126m.p.h. Some theories suggest 140mph was possible. Joe Duddington himself reckoned 130mph could have been done with a faster run up the Bank, so who are we to ague?  The point is a few mph faster would have killed off all these arguments that it was not a proper record. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1