Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, phil.c said:

i don't know the area, all I did was line up the engine sheds with yours, reduce them to approximately the same size, the picture was too short so it was stretched to size and extra sky added above.

I wasn't being critical Phil, far from it. I just wodered what magic you might be able to work with the actual 1950s view from the bridge.

Well, thank you to everyone who's commented so far.   I found the idea of the train being in a bay hard to rationalise, but I couldn't work out the layout in my head and we didn't have a track plan to hand during the call. 

John Smart was one of the party and he's usually my go-to man for stock identification - I know nothing about the Scottish Area of the LNER.  He said he didn't think it was NB, but clearly the evidence is to the contrary. 

Other than determining that it wasn't a headboard we didn't reach a conclusion as to what that is on the middle lamp iron.  A reporting number would make sense.

We thought the wagons were on the Midland side because of the Birch Coppice wagons which we guessed would be working home via Oakham. 

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Gilbert, I meant to say earlier, the BT(4) in the Engineers yard in the photo upthread looks fabulous.  You should try to reproduce that.

Can you guide me as to what exactly it is? I can't get the image any bigger.

• RMweb Gold

I’m able to say what that carriage is Gilbert. It’s a Gresley, non corridor, brake third as modelled by Hornby. I think, after seeing that photo’, I’ll get a secondhand example, and treat it to that finish.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Can you guide me as to what exactly it is?

I can try...

BT4_PN_engineersyard001_cut.jpg.a1a1c6d4d0f8dfc6760bc3962967b887.jpg

It's an early diagram (turnbuckle trussing) 4 compartment brake third, three of the four compartment doors are sealed (no hinges or stepboards) as are the nearer set of guards doors.  All the windows are painted over/boarded up.  It only has a single destination board holder which is less usual.

I'd hazard that it's in what's left of a teak finish, which is probably more unpainted wood now, and it's been either patch painted or repaired using painted panels from other vehicles.

It would be interesting to know what the lettering on the guards compartment says.   Was it used for something like film projection, hence the need for darkness inside?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Good morning. Still here, but still don't feel quite right, so an emergency eye test is needed.  Before I try to arrange that, here are the morning photos.

1181519529_161635.JPG.db6b07e80a89174d1ebe7ea81888e8e4.JPG

Wow a triple chimney B17. :)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow a triple chimney B17. :)

I could have moved the angle a bit and got a pole or a signal sticking out of the chimney instead, I suppose. It is almost impossible to avoid having any thing like this happen up that end, with it being all so crowded and compressed. You could argue that it has three chimneys and two domes. A bit like those continental things really.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I should Clive, its nice there and comes recommended at the highest levels.

Lets hope all is well with GN.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad everything is ok with your eyes Gilbert.  Lovely photos of late, both historical and model.  Plenty of B17s too which always makes life better I find.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I do rather like the oily sheen below the footplate on that WD, Gilbert.  Looks just like it would spoil your jacket if you brushed past it too close on shed.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1
  • Funny 1