Peterborough North

great northern

On 05/07/2020 at 12:10, great northern said:

I have been doubly lucky. At 1030 this morning I was left with no alternative but the eye hospital, as all local opticians were fully booked. Lucky bit one was a call to say there had been a cancellation at 1105 just up the road in Bingham, and lucky bit two is that tests and scans confirm that I haven't had a blood clot hit the back of my eye, as happened three years ago. So now I can stop worrying, and try to reduce my soaring stress levels.

Another plonk to celebrate.

1256049388_23vans.JPG.d177941556ac645a91780ea1b1198c6d.JPG

Hi Gilbert

That is a stunning building.

Regards

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I do love the stretched streak.  I was looking to build one but with a number of loco kits accrued now, I think it might be a Hornby job.

Still need to figure out which Thompson pacific I’m allowed too given the upcoming releases, or should I just get another Peppercorn A1, they’re a safe bet.  Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

I do love the stretched streak.  I was looking to build one but with a number of loco kits accrued now, I think it might be a Hornby job.

Still need to figure out which Thompson pacific I’m allowed too given the upcoming releases, or should I just get another Peppercorn A1, they’re a safe bet.  Decisions, decisions...

The poor thing was roundly booed every time it appeared back in the day though, as we ignorant spotters always thought it was depriving us of a possible sighting of Kingfisher or  William Whitelaw!

I'm sure we can find you an appropriate A2  Tony, it will just depend what part of your period we are considering.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, great northern said:

After perusing the lunchtime forecast, more than 95% chance of heavy rain from 2pm till gone midnight, my quick and agile brain told me that if I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon, I was going to get wet. I really needed some fresh air, so golf waterproofs and floppy hat on, and off I went. 45 minutes of rather perverse pleasure later, I'm bone dry, proof that you do get what you pay for. Expensive, but well worth it. Not British of course, good lord no.

So here I am looking out at the rain a bit smugly really, with a mug of tea and a nice pear at my side, ready to post the next picture. This is a Clarence yard to Niddrie Class C, which crys out for V2 haulage. The V2 rostered though is the first Bachmann one I ever bought nearly 20 years ago, and despite the fact that it has had a professional paint job, I do tend to shudder when I see it, as it is rather horrible. However, what does one do?  PN without V2s, lots of them, wouldn't be PN at all, but I'm not now capable of building or painting kits myself, if I ever was, can't afford to commission them in the numbers needed, and even the one I had scratchbuilt isn't "right". Until the new Bachmann model arrives, this, and others, will have to continue to appear. Should I be putting a disclaimer at the foot of each page, in view of recent commentary about layouts that feature such abominations?

1485295203_4867.JPG.e66dcc1cf6df4e6c84eb0c12390c31cb.JPG

I know the feeling w.r.t v2s. I've  two new chassis v2s, 5 split-chassis versions and a part built branchlines chassis V2. The two new chassis V2s  have had the bodies replaced with Graeme King resin bodies. One of the split chassis versions also has one of Graeme's bodies.  DCC fitted the split-chassis v2s for the moment run well. Pulling more strongly and quicker than the later DCC ready chassis! I do intend replacing the hideous old bodies with Mike Trice's 3D versions in due course. If (when)  the split chassis versions collapse, I'll bite the bullet and build comet versions. When the new Bachmann version arrives it isn't coming cheap! But I'm sure I'll sneak a few of those on to the layout too. How many V2s are needed on an ECML layout? Loads....

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, great northern said:

After perusing the lunchtime forecast, more than 95% chance of heavy rain from 2pm till gone midnight, my quick and agile brain told me that if I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon, I was going to get wet. I really needed some fresh air, so golf waterproofs and floppy hat on, and off I went. 45 minutes of rather perverse pleasure later, I'm bone dry, proof that you do get what you pay for. Expensive, but well worth it. Not British of course, good lord no.

So here I am looking out at the rain a bit smugly really, with a mug of tea and a nice pear at my side, ready to post the next picture. This is a Clarence yard to Niddrie Class C, which crys out for V2 haulage. The V2 rostered though is the first Bachmann one I ever bought nearly 20 years ago, and despite the fact that it has had a professional paint job, I do tend to shudder when I see it, as it is rather horrible. However, what does one do?  PN without V2s, lots of them, wouldn't be PN at all, but I'm not now capable of building or painting kits myself, if I ever was, can't afford to commission them in the numbers needed, and even the one I had scratchbuilt isn't "right". Until the new Bachmann model arrives, this, and others, will have to continue to appear. Should I be putting a disclaimer at the foot of each page, in view of recent commentary about layouts that feature such abominations?

1485295203_4867.JPG.e66dcc1cf6df4e6c84eb0c12390c31cb.JPG

Good afternoon Gilbert,

I trust you are keeping well.

'Should I be putting a disclaimer at the foot of each page, in view of recent commentary about layouts that feature such abominations?'

As probably the one who instigated the recent commentaries, perhaps I should comment, if I may, please?

Your layout is so accurate in so many ways, with attention to correct trains in a manner far more diligent than I've adopted. Yet, every time an original Bachmann V2 features, any 'accuracy' is compromised in my view. 

It's a pity that the body of the one you've illustrated isn't sitting properly on the chassis (look at the height discrepancy between the loco's footplate and tender solelate), because that exacerbates the unrealistic look of the Cartazzi truck. 

What will you do eventually? Invest in some of the latest Bachmann ones when they arrive (when being the important word)? 

Can you ask Tim to have a look at the latest Mike Trice body? That really is the bee's knees, though it needs a chassis building (unless you've got some more-recent Bachmann V2 chassis).

Regards,

Tony.   

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Gilbert,

I trust you are keeping well.

'Should I be putting a disclaimer at the foot of each page, in view of recent commentary about layouts that feature such abominations?'

As probably the one who instigated the recent commentaries, perhaps I should comment, if I may, please?

Your layout is so accurate in so many ways, with attention to correct trains in a manner far more diligent than I've adopted. Yet, every time an original Bachmann V2 features, any 'accuracy' is compromised in my view. 

It's a pity that the body of the one you've illustrated isn't sitting properly on the chassis (look at the height discrepancy between the loco's footplate and tender solelate), because that exacerbates the unrealistic look of the Cartazzi truck. 

What will you do eventually? Invest in some of the latest Bachmann ones when they arrive (when being the important word)? 

Can you ask Tim to have a look at the latest Mike Trice body? That really is the bee's knees, though it needs a chassis building (unless you've got some more-recent Bachmann V2 chassis).

Regards,

Tony.   

It is all very frustrating Tony. This one is the worst V2 I have for looks, but it is the best running too. I can't run a proper sequence for  PN without V2s, so this has to appear a couple of times each day. I suppose I could just not photograph it when it does! I am indeed waiting for the Bachmann one to appear, and having heard Andy York's interview with them at the weekend it seems that Covid hasn't caused too serious delays in China, so hopefully it won't be too many months before we see it.

Tim does make his own chassis, but doesn't want to build for curves as tight as mine, so that's out. I only have one new Bachmann chassis, and that runs under a body that Tim did from Graeme King's offering. I know Tim is also not yet convinced as to the longevity of 3D printed stuff as well. I think I'll just have to wait and hope.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, great northern said:

It really is dark here, probably darker than under the roof at PN, where we find 64247 waiting for its few passengers to alight before removing the stock to the carriage sidings.

805967089_34247under.JPG.2275f6dce4e22fb1dd9c4da60f8f269c.JPG

A very long exposure needed, and a real neck craning job to see the screen when setting this up, so it isn't surprising, that quite a lot is out of focus. i don't know how I'm going to get those bits off the platform without removing the roof, and I really don't want to do that.

Well worth the extra effort in my opinion Gilbert. Yes, parts may well be out of focus but there is a lovely warmth to the colours and tone but remaining natural. On dreary days like today the sheltered platforms show all their worth in such a warm photograph. 

John 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 07:41, jwealleans said:

Gilbert, while you think of a new poll, perhaps I can offer this as a distraction?  A few of us were discussing this picture online last night.  I'm afraid I don't know the photographer and certainly don't have copyright, so not to be further reproduced, please.   Posted here for research purposes only.

1951785103_LNERA44900peterborough.jpg.2a028a151281b6fc433bc070273e900b.jpg

Where to begin?   The A4 is on a train in a bay platform(?) facing north.  Is the stock Maunsell?    What was the capacity of that bay?   The stock looks empty to us - but why would a train using Southern stock be heading that way?   They don't seem in any hurry to be going anywhere, are they awaiting passengers?

Date we reckon is certainly post 1936 (small lettering on wagons in the background, 4900 not released to traffic until May 1938) and most likely approaching the War although we couldn't see any blackout precautions anywhere. 

The two light engines are on the Up Main, but both lamped for EP - are they waiting to take over another service, or to run to New England - they both look well coaled. 

Note also the LMS opens loaded with aggregate of some sort in the foreground - you'd be told off if you did that on a model.  Ex-LNWR BG in the background - might that be awaiting repair?   I'm sure you told me those sheds were used for repair after the MPD moved to New England.

Any and all observations are welcome.

Jonathan and all, I thought you might like to know the answer to which train it is can be found in RO 115 for September 1938. 

4900 hauled a full set of NBR corridor stock, plus one GN vehicle, as a portion of the 4pm Down on Saturday 30-7-1938. It was portion number 2, of 5 that day. The photographer was W H Whitworth at Peterborough,  but 2 other photographers captured the service further south. Most notably showing  the full train just north of Potters Bar.

I suspect the locos in the bay are awaiting further portions, B5 6072 almost certainly one for Cleethorpes.

John

Edited by John Smart
update
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, John Smart said:

Jonathan and all, I thought you might like to know the answer to which train it is can be found in RO 115 for September 1938. 

4900 hauled a full set of NBR corridor stock, plus one GN vehicle, as a portion of the 4pm Down on Saturday 30-7-1938. It was portion number 2, of 5 that day. The photographer was W H Whitworth at Peterborough,  but 2 other photographers captured the service further south. Most notably showing  the full train just north of Potters Bar.

I suspect the locos in the bay are awaiting further portions, B5 6072 almost certainly one for Cleethorpes.

John

That's interesting John, and gives an impression of how busy things must have been at times in those days!  Was this the run up to "The Glorious Twelfth"?

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, John Smart said:

John

That is indeed very helpful and interesting. Many thanks. Five portions of one train!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

It is all very frustrating Tony. This one is the worst V2 I have for looks, but it is the best running too. I can't run a proper sequence for  PN without V2s, so this has to appear a couple of times each day. I suppose I could just not photograph it when it does! I am indeed waiting for the Bachmann one to appear, and having heard Andy York's interview with them at the weekend it seems that Covid hasn't caused too serious delays in China, so hopefully it won't be too many months before we see it.

Tim does make his own chassis, but doesn't want to build for curves as tight as mine, so that's out. I only have one new Bachmann chassis, and that runs under a body that Tim did from Graeme King's offering. I know Tim is also not yet convinced as to the longevity of 3D printed stuff as well. I think I'll just have to wait and hope.

If that is the best runner, why not swap the bodies over and get one useable loco which doesn’t look too bad? Put the two dodgy halves together and stick them on eBay and get a deposit for a new Bachmann one.

• Like 4